2.4L LE5 Performance Tech 16 valve 171 hp EcoTec with 163 lb-ft of torque

Mod and Turbo Recomendations

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 02:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mod and Turbo Recomendations

First of, I'm Chris and I live in St. Albert, Alberta. I'm pretty new to the whole modding world and only got interested in it once I picked up my 08 Cobalt. It is the 2.4L one, got it about three weeks ago and it is bone stock. I am looking at upgrading it after 10,000km (just something numerous mechancis told me is to wait after 10,000KM before doing any serrious mods) and am interested in starting with a turbo.

I have read numerous posts here about which turbos people use, different set-ups etc, but I'm concerned about dammaging my engine. I mean, I'm sure this is everyones concern (for the most part) but I simply just don't have enough knowledge right now to know what kind of boost I can put on and what kind of wear and tear I can expect out. Also, what problems you guys have found with your set-ups.

What I would like to do, is change the internals around a bit using those GM performance racing booklet things as a guide. So changing the cam gears, pistons, connecters, fuel pump, injecters, head gasket, turbo and a few other things. The only problem with this is that its a racing setup, so it probably puts excessive wear on the car and it would need some major fix ups before it even hit 5 years. Thats just my guess, again, I have no idea, I just can't see the engine taking that much more power without any excess wear. They say those mods are recomended to handle 400HP and you can gain up to that ammount. Thats great that it can handle that kind of power, but for how long?

At any rate, thats going to be horribly expensive, I'm still trying to figgure out what the cost would be but if I wanted to just throw on a turbo with 8PSI boost, is the engine going to need any internal mods to handle that extra power? What about at 10PSI or 15PSI? Of course again, what kind of extra wear am I going to be expecting?

The main goal here is to get it to last to at least 5 years before I need to do any major fixes. Like is this thing just going to get say 20,000km less than your un-modded engine before it needs an overhaul or some kind of fix up? I know **** happens so to speak, and nobody can predict problems, but I'm talking just regular wear from driving it on a daily basis and racing it every now and again against random odd people on the street.

Brings me to the last point, if I do all those mods I was talking about, this thing is going to get horrible gas mileage. Yes, I know you don't do performance mods to get better mileage, but considering this is my day to day commuting car, possibly I should stick to just a turbo and a few other mods?

Any help is appriciated, thanks guys!
Old 05-13-2008, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Look at www.hahnracecraft.com under GM the under cobalt - then click and buy and happy boosting. Otherwise do a search on the word turbo in the 2.4 section and youll learn alot.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ah look at that didn't even know you could search in these forums... Now I feel like a fool lol.

Thanks man.