2.4L LE5 Performance Tech 16 valve 171 hp EcoTec with 163 lb-ft of torque

SAAB Turbo take offs

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 10:10 AM
GTP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SAAB Turbo take offs

With all the hubub about off the shelf turbo kits, I am researching the applicability of pulling a Saab turbo kit (manifold, oil lines, hoses, turbo and other bits and pieces) as a complete bolt on kit to our engines. Its all on the ECOTEC platform so why wouldn't this work? Itd be way more cost effective. Of course you'd want to pull the Saab Vector or Linear system initially and may be upgrade the turbo later. I beleive they are all Garrett bolt patterns.

As another way to easy simplicity, why couldn't we also just use the SC intake manifold have a plate made to put the TB on it and then run the turbo charge pipe right up over the valve cover to the SC manifold? Short tubing=no lag, SC intake manifold and heat exchanger would fit no problem and then just use an SC pump for the HE system?

Big Dan (Djt81185) and twin Loop Dan (Papazz) I have been batting around these ideas on a custom kit, but just like the Nissan's (SR20) and Subies (EJ25) I've owned lent themselves to using other platform turbos and manifolds from other Nissan and Subie lines to do a factory like turbo kit.

Here are some shots of the business end of the Saab Linear engine showing the turbo and piping WITH HEAT SHIELDING. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SAAB-...QQcmdZViewItem

HP Tuners would solve tunig issues as would upgraded injectors.

Does anyone have a contact for a GM engineer familiar with the ECOTEC platforms?

More info from Adam at ECOTEC forums..http://www.ecotecforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9006

But specifically the use of the SC intake manifold may make this rather efficient and usig factory parts much easier to install (less piping). Like here on a Solstice http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=19082

Last edited by GTP; 11-10-2006 at 01:15 PM.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GTP
With all the hubub about off the shelf turbo kits, I am researching the applicability of pulling a Saab turbo kit (manifold, oil lines, hoses, turbo and other bits and pieces) as a complete bolt on kit to our engines. Its all on the ECOTEC platform so why wouldn't this work? Itd be way more cost effective. Of course you'd want to pull the Saab Vector or Linear system initially and may be upgrade the turbo later. I beleive they are all Garrett bolt patterns.

As another way to easy simplicity, why couldn't we also just use the SC intake manifold have a plate made to put the TB on it and then run the turbo charge pipe right up over the valve cover to the SC manifold? Short tubing=no lag, SC intake manifold and heat exchanger would fit no problem and then just use an SC pump for the HE system?

Big Dan (Djt81185) and twin Loop Dan (Papazz) I have been batting around these ideas on a custom kit, but just like the Nissan's (SR20) and Subies (EJ25) I've owned lent themselves to using other platform turbos and manifolds from other Nissan and Subie lines to do a factory like turbo kit.

Here are some shots of the business end of the Saab Linear engine showing the turbo and piping WITH HEAT SHIELDING. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SAAB-...QQcmdZViewItem

HP Tuners would solve tunig issues as would upgraded injectors.

Does anyone have a contact for a GM engineer familiar with the ECOTEC platforms?

When I bought my 2.4 SS coupe, at my Chevy dealer, one of the salesmen's cousin's bought a 2.4 SS coupe and dropped a Saab turbo in it & he says it's beating Stage 2 SS/SC's, & SRT-4's.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:24 AM
GTP

Originally Posted by JPizzle
When I bought my 2.4 SS coupe, at my Chevy dealer, one of the salesmen's cousin's bought a 2.4 SS coupe and dropped a Saab turbo in it & he says it's beating Stage 2 SS/SC's, & SRT-4's.

PLEASE GO GET HIS NAME AND EMAIL? I'll pay you for your gas..
Old 11-10-2006, 10:29 AM

I think he might just be bullshiting you, I dont think anyone can tune the 2.2 and 2.4s yet. I could be wrong, but thats just what ive heard......
Old 11-10-2006, 10:31 AM
GTP

Originally Posted by rick1217
I think he might just be bullshiting you, I dont think anyone can tune the 2.2 and 2.4s yet. I could be wrong, but thats just what ive heard......

HP Tuners supports the 2.4.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GTP
Exactly but not the 2.2

Poor 2.2 guys. That sucks.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by GTP
Really?? ok, cool then i guess....i just heard neither could get a tune. Thats why hahn hasnt come out with the turbo kits yet... but yeah, i havent really done any research on the 2.4s so i wouldnt know....
Old 11-10-2006, 11:47 AM

Yes! Get more info on this. We've been talking about this for months.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:58 AM
GTP

Originally Posted by PpAzZ1101
Yes! Get more info on this. We've been talking about this for months.

Dano, this is what I and another guy did with our Foresters. We took te entire STI take off, turbo, pluming, vacuum lines and even ECu and BOV and put them on our Foresters. Voila= 55 WHP for $550.!

I am sure once we get solid answers on this, the SAAB systems will bolt on and we can just do the SC manifold with HP tuners!!! Alot cheaper than a custom kit.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:40 PM

Heck yeah. I've already got the manifold sitting there... I have to get Jeff to make me an adapter plate for the TB when he's not busy.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:50 PM
GTP

Heck yeah. I've already got the manifold sitting there... I have to get Jeff to make me an adapter plate for the TB when he's not busy.

Where do you plan on putting the BOV, if we use the SC intake manifold and short charge pipe...it'll have to go somewhere near the MAF which is also in the charge pipe
Old 11-10-2006, 12:53 PM

When i first got my SS/SC i was trying to get the turbo parts off a saab but at the time tuning wasn't available so i just forgot about it.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by GTP
Where do you plan on putting the BOV, if we use the SC intake manifold and short charge pipe...it'll have to go somewhere near the MAF which is also in the charge pipe
Haha... we've been debating this for a while. It may not have a BOV. May just be a bypass valve, recirculating. Then the MAF would be mounted in the intake pipe rather than the charge pipe. The bypass valve would vent from the charge pipe back into the intake pipe after the MAF and right before the turbo.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:57 PM
GTP

Haha... we've been debating this for a while. It may not have a BOV. May just be a bypass valve, recirculating. Then the MAF would be mounted in the intake pipe rather than the charge pipe. The bypass valve would vent from the charge pipe back into the intake pipe after the MAF and right before the turbo.

Well that's kinda what I was hinting at. When I said BOV I actually meant BPV since its a MAF config. But my Subie was the same way. I think we could use the existing CAI hacked up to keep the MAF there in the intake side, put the BPV in the charge pipe and then use a soft pipe from the BPV back over to the intake tube post MAF. It should be failry short and easy to rig up. Wanna see my napkin diagram!!
Old 11-10-2006, 01:01 PM
GTP

Who be Jeff?
Old 11-10-2006, 01:02 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
thats the way I was going actually (with the plate system over stock manifold and using the stock saab turbo manifold) I think it should work... I'm also stuck on maf and BOV placement at the moment... but I'm at least 2 months away from finishing my motor so I'm not worrying about it yet
Old 11-10-2006, 01:06 PM

GTP: I gotcha now. Sounds like a plan. And Jeff is the guy from 1st Try Engineering that Wes and I go to for work (he did the twin loops and cat-deletes).

06blackg85ss: So you didn't get rid of your Cobalt????
Old 11-10-2006, 01:07 PM
GTP

Originally Posted by 06blackg85ss
thats the way I was going actually (with the plate system over stock manifold and using the stock saab turbo manifold) I think it should work... I'm also stuck on maf and BOV placement at the moment... but I'm at least 2 months away from finishing my motor so I'm not worrying about it yet

I'd be interested to see data on why Hahn says they like the BPV in the charge pipe as opposed to the intake pipe?
Old 11-10-2006, 01:08 PM

Jeff FTMFW. Allen and I are gonna put the MAF in the charged pipe with a BOV. Dan is against it.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:09 PM

There's a guy over on the solsticeforum.com by the name of boostedsol that used the IM and aftercooler off the s/c in his 2.4 turbo setup. I'm sure he could help with the maf/bpv placement.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:10 PM

would the supercharger kit for the cavalier 2.2ecotec fit on the cobalts?

Originally Posted by WSFrazier
Jeff FTMFW. Allen and I are gonna put the MAF in the charged pipe with a BOV. Dan is against it.
Damn straight I am and I have my reasons...I dont look forward to tuning one wit the maf in the charge pipe...all that extra work just for noise
GTP

Originally Posted by Brandon97Z
There's a guy over on the solsticeforum.com by the name of boostedsol that used the IM and aftercooler off the s/c in his 2.4 turbo setup. I'm sure he could help with the maf/bpv placement.

Thanks Brandon, I'll track him down.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:12 PM
GTP

Originally Posted by djt81185
Damn straight I am and I have my reasons...I dont look forward to tuning one wit the maf in the charge pipe...all that extra work just for noise

I think it would wreak havoc on our type of proposed set up with the BPV valve dumping so near the MAF. It'd be almost impossible to ensure no MAF turbulence with high bosst levels. Here comes full throttle boost stutters and Codes WES...
Old 11-10-2006, 01:14 PM
GTP

Posted pics of the SC manifold on a Solstice (page 1)

Quick Reply: SAAB Turbo take offs