2.4L LE5 Performance Tech 16 valve 171 hp EcoTec with 163 lb-ft of torque

What should i do???????????

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 03:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What should i do???????????

just got my 06 cobalt ss 2.4 automatic i put alarm on it and tinted the windows but what would you recomend i do for more power. I want to keep the stock exhaust so any help would be appercaite please let me know what i should do and what i can expect? Thanks
Old 05-03-2006, 03:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by snobird
just got my 06 cobalt ss 2.4 automatic i put alarm on it and tinted the windows but what would you recomend i do for more power. I want to keep the stock exhaust so any help would be appercaite please let me know what i should do and what i can expect? Thanks
Short ram intake, lightweight crank pulley, ECU tune from Vector Motorsports, stock exhaust has to go for better gains (magnaflow or corsa), larger TB, ported heads, GMPP Exhaust mainfold.

That should net you an easy 20-30 whp.
Old 05-03-2006, 05:13 AM

intake exhaust and ecu tune will net you about 20hp at the wheels its self. and can be had all together for under $1000.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:05 AM

Well... my list is pretty much the same, but I'll throw it in here too.

Injen CAI, Big Bore throttle body from Saturn Motorsports, GMPP Exhaust Manifold... all of those can be had for less than $300 a piece. Name brand exhausts can get pricey... but you can probably get a local shop to fab you one up for $300 or so.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by sneaky
Short ram intake, lightweight crank pulley, ECU tune from Vector Motorsports, stock exhaust has to go for better gains (magnaflow or corsa), larger TB, ported heads, GMPP Exhaust mainfold.

To me a bigger tb is stupid, unless you have the supercharged model. With the bigger size you are reducing velocity for volume. Unless you have something pushing more air in to make up for the velocity loss I do not really see the point : /. Would definetly not be a first mod to say the least. Correct me if im wrong !!
Old 05-04-2006, 11:19 PM

please do the CAI instead of the SRI for your intake if you go with the inken. the flow is better and you get better performance.
Old 05-04-2006, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by CleanNFun
To me a bigger tb is stupid, unless you have the supercharged model. With the bigger size you are reducing velocity for volume. Unless you have something pushing more air in to make up for the velocity loss I do not really see the point : /. Would definetly not be a first mod to say the least. Correct me if im wrong !!
yeah wait on the bigger throttle body until you turbo your car. i say turbo because why would you supercharge a 2.4..haha they left it all engine for us to turbo it
Old 05-04-2006, 11:31 PM

man whatever you do get an intake first.. that thing has really woken up the engine. Tonight i went for a ride, after filling up with gas i had to merge on the highway. oh man what a good launch i had, and i didnt even floor it.. can anyone estimate what our 0-60 time is.. i would say 6.9-7 sec for the manual and 7.5 for the auto?
Old 05-04-2006, 11:39 PM

Don't know your exact reasons for wanting to keep the stock exhaust, but if you're looking to make power, the air flow through the motor is key. Intakes help get air into the cylinders but without swapping the exhaust its just a major bottleneck in the system and you'll never see the full potential of your mods.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:09 PM

I'm saying bigger TB b/c the CAI should provide enough extra velocity to make up for any loss. The SMS TB is just a slightly overbored factory unit... it's not a huge difference... but I figure every little bit counts.
Old 05-05-2006, 02:40 PM

SNOBIRD,

Get yourself a Cold Air Intake or Short ram. TurboTech, or Modern Performance - both supporting vendors can take care of you. Remember to re-set the ECU after installling. (Unplug battery for about 15 minutes.) I just did an Injen on mine - will leave as the short ram. Install of short ram is pretty easy.

From there I really think your best bang for buck is ecu tuning. (Do a search.) I am seriously thinking of this. I would not bother with a header unless you are going to do a cat back as well.

Have fun.

- w
Old 05-06-2006, 05:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How much power are you looking to gain? How much money are you willing to spend or invest?

Everyone can spit out a bunch of modifications but the fact is no one knows what you want or expect out of your car. Untill you can answer those questions, no one can seriously point you in the right direction. For all we know, you want 250 HP and people are telling you to get an intake. See my point?

Not trying to be harsh but trying to be realistic because I've been there and done that. If I could start over, I would have gone straight to boost because that's what I ultimately wanted.
Old 05-06-2006, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by roccityroller
Don't know your exact reasons for wanting to keep the stock exhaust, but if you're looking to make power, the air flow through the motor is key. Intakes help get air into the cylinders but without swapping the exhaust its just a major bottleneck in the system and you'll never see the full potential of your mods.
Remember, intakes are a small part of it getting air to the cylinders. If you just change your intake to be less restrictive, you still have your restrictive intake manifold, your small intake ports and your camshafts which are still bringing in the same amount of airflow to the cylinder head and the same amount leaving.

I will agree about the exhaust...supplying more air and not opening it up the exhaust system to a reasonable size (I recommend 2 1/4" diameter) will keep your performance down.
Old 05-06-2006, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by SilverStreak
I'm saying bigger TB b/c the CAI should provide enough extra velocity to make up for any loss. The SMS TB is just a slightly overbored factory unit... it's not a huge difference... but I figure every little bit counts.
A bigger throttle body would actually decrease intake velocity, not increase it. Unless you're doing something as far as turbocharger setup or a centrifugal supercharger (roots style chargers throttle body is before the throttle body) where you're increasing the velocity with compressed air, opening up the throttle body will decrease your velocity and shift your powerband slightly upwards in order to make the same amount of velocity you were before....hence...losing lower end power. Of course, this is all a small difference but this is what happends.
Old 05-06-2006, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by sneaky

1. You have we have 1 head (not to be an *******, just had to point it out)
2. Increasing the size of the ports and not changing the camshaft profile to support the bigger volume isn't smart.
3. Putting a bigger exhaust manifold on and leaving the rest of the exhaust system is near pointless. The smallest part of your exhaust system really determines the size of your exhaust system. His stock exhaust system after the header will restrict the exhaust flow and still take away potential power gains.
Old 05-06-2006, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by davenportdesigns
please do the CAI instead of the SRI for your intake if you go with the inken. the flow is better and you get better performance.
Sorry, but that's incorrect.

The flow of air will be the same if the piping size on both the intakes are the same and the filters are the same (which in most cases they are because most companies use K & N).

They will perform the same. Don't believe the gimmicks.
Old 05-06-2006, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Brandon97Z
intake exhaust and ecu tune will net you about 20hp at the wheels its self. and can be had all together for under $1000.
Just curious of where you got 20 WHP from...

Even if this did give 20 WHP to one person, it's not gauranteed to do so with someone else.
Old 05-06-2006, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by CleanNFun
EXACTLY!
Old 05-06-2006, 07:13 AM

50 Shot
Old 05-08-2006, 08:52 PM

NKHK just raped all of you!!!!!!!!

as for me, i'd go intake >> exhaust >> ECM tune= your car will be quite speedy
Old 05-08-2006, 11:01 PM

Thank you NKHK for that enlightening sting of posts. As i said in my post.. an intake HELPS get air to the cylinder, i didnt say that was the only thing between the air and the cylinders.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by savior
NKHK just raped all of you!!!!!!!!

as for me, i'd go intake >> exhaust >> ECM tune= your car will be quite speedy
LOL

That made me giggle...
Old 05-08-2006, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by roccityroller
Thank you NKHK for that enlightening sting of posts. As i said in my post.. an intake HELPS get air to the cylinder, i didnt say that was the only thing between the air and the cylinders.
You're welcome

and you're correct.