ADVANCED Performance Modifications For advanced modification topics only.

2007 2.2 tuning question

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 07:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 2.2 tuning question

i know that i might not get a response, because its kind of an advanced question that i dont think many people have experience with.... but here goes.

does anyone know if the E37 for the 2007 2.2 retards or advances spark timing or change anything else, based on the intake cam position?

reason why i ask is, i think the guy over at bates engineering pressed on my intake cam sensor onto my intake cam a few degrees off, because my car is throwing a P0016, which states that the cam position is off compared to the crank position.

we can just disable this code, but will it adversely affect my ecu and/or engine?

ive been talking to vince from trifecta about this, and he emailed me a bit ago....

"Ok, I did a bit more research here.

My factory service manuals only go up to 2005, so what I’ve read may not apply to your car specifically (but probably does).

The P0016 code indicates the intake cam is out of sync with the crankshaft. On engines that use variable cam timing, this code may mean the intake cam timing synchronizer is malfunctioning and is meant to be a diagnostic aid only. The presence of this code does not cause anything to happen differently with the ECM. Injection and ignition timing is driven by the crankshaft position sensor.

I suspect this is the case with your car as well. I’m not sure why they would have included a cam position sensor other then to reduce crank times, like the LS1 has. The 05 and 06 cars don’t have one, so obviously it’s not a critical sensor.

The correct fix for this problem is to correct the alignment of the camshaft position sensor reluctor on the intake camshaft, but my suggestion would be to simply disable the code unless we find out that the sensor is used for something more then a simple diagnostic aid."