ADVANCED Performance Modifications For advanced modification topics only.

GM's Spare Reservoir Cooling Option

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 10:43 AM
Doc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by R33P3R007
So who has a link to the lamens how to. cause i didn't find one that was easy to understand. I want the dual pass with res. and a Cobra h/e. can i do that. or does the cobra replace my stock one.
I explained it in laymens terms
yes you can do that....I will be doing that in a few days myself.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
[QUOTE=Doc;904837]The main reason for adding an extra reservior or secondary heat exchanger is to reduce the heat from the supercharger. As it turns, it creates heat, which is not ideal for power. That is why we have an intercooler (call it what you want, it cools air with water). On the stock setup, the air flows through the front of the car and into the engine bay. It travels across the heat exchangers for the a/c, intercooler and radiator. The cooled liquid is pumped to the intercooler which is inside our intake manifold. There happens to be 4 lamoniva's or cooling tubes which air passes over. The stock setup has the coolant go into the intercooler in one way and out the other. With the dual pass endplate, you flip the middle two lamoniva's and add an additional inlet. Now, you have coolant go into the middle and go out the top and bottom. That increases the amount of fluid able to reduce heat. One outlet goes to the heat exchanger setup and the other goes to an overflow bottle. The overflow bottle and heat exchanger are connected so it is a closed system in a sense. So, if you can increase the amount of coolant you can reduce your overall temperature because the fluid is able to spread the heat over more volume. Think of it this way, take 1 cup of boiling water and add it to a gallon of cool water then take that same cup of boiling water and add it to a bathtub of water. The bathtub in theory will cool it better.
QUOTE]

i gotcha....feels kinda weird, but i thought the SSs were air to air cooled....just knowing that they're water to air cooled helps a lot
Old 03-13-2007, 02:17 PM
360 L337 User

Originally Posted by Doc
I explained it in laymens terms
yes you can do that....I will be doing that in a few days myself.
well then you send me a parts list, and when i get it together i'll make the trip and you can install it all and tune my car. ok.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:41 PM
Doc

stage 3 endplate with gasket, cobra HE, extra cooling reservior, HE mounting brackets, cooling reservior brackets (make these), 15psi cap, 3/4" tubing, 1/4" tubing, NPT fitting, vacuum connector, 2 - 3/4" T or Y fittings, 6 - 3/4" elbows (90), 2 - 1/4" elbows (90), clamps for tubing (a lot), dexcool.....
I think thats it.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[QUOTE=HunterKiller89;905107]
Originally Posted by Doc
The main reason for adding an extra reservior or secondary heat exchanger is to reduce the heat from the supercharger. As it turns, it creates heat, which is not ideal for power. That is why we have an intercooler (call it what you want, it cools air with water). On the stock setup, the air flows through the front of the car and into the engine bay. It travels across the heat exchangers for the a/c, intercooler and radiator. The cooled liquid is pumped to the intercooler which is inside our intake manifold. There happens to be 4 lamoniva's or cooling tubes which air passes over. The stock setup has the coolant go into the intercooler in one way and out the other. With the dual pass endplate, you flip the middle two lamoniva's and add an additional inlet. Now, you have coolant go into the middle and go out the top and bottom. That increases the amount of fluid able to reduce heat. One outlet goes to the heat exchanger setup and the other goes to an overflow bottle. The overflow bottle and heat exchanger are connected so it is a closed system in a sense. So, if you can increase the amount of coolant you can reduce your overall temperature because the fluid is able to spread the heat over more volume. Think of it this way, take 1 cup of boiling water and add it to a gallon of cool water then take that same cup of boiling water and add it to a bathtub of water. The bathtub in theory will cool it better.
QUOTE]

i gotcha....feels kinda weird, but i thought the SSs were air to air cooled....just knowing that they're water to air cooled helps a lot

The Other Reason is to Constantly Bleed the air from the System By Tieing the 1/4 Inch Line to the Bleeder Plug of the Stock Heat exchanger! Only thing I did Different was, Instead of using the Redline Reservoir I had Mine Made & It Holds More Fluid! Figured what the Hell if I got to Make Brackets, I'll just Make the Damn Reservoir so it uses the Factory Studs sticking up on that Side!
Old 04-03-2007, 10:11 AM
360 L337 User

Originally Posted by Doc
stage 3 endplate with gasket, cobra HE, extra cooling reservior, HE mounting brackets, cooling reservior brackets (make these), 15psi cap, 3/4" tubing, 1/4" tubing, NPT fitting, vacuum connector, 2 - 3/4" T or Y fittings, 6 - 3/4" elbows (90), 2 - 1/4" elbows (90), clamps for tubing (a lot), dexcool.....
I think thats it.
well, i'll start collecting this stuff, and when i'm done i'll let you know. I have no clue how to install most of this ****.

plus i need a tune.

and they meet every wednesday at that sonic now.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:10 AM
South Central *********

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
i got mine all installed, made brackets out a L shaped track that i painted

hade to ditch smaller surge tank due to broken stock brackets

here is pic of it installled

PM for more info

also have ton of pics of this mod check my gallery or Mines_Better gallery on ss.net
Old 04-10-2007, 11:48 PM

I see that Cobalt Addiction has a Dual Pass Kit. Does that come with everything that i would need? It doesn't mention a second reservoir. Also, do you think this would be easier to do while doing a clutch install?

Sorry to bring this thread back to life.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:02 PM

it is easy to do just time consuming.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:31 PM

So the CA Kit is a complete kit and the second reservoir isn't needed?
Old 04-12-2007, 09:19 AM

i believe it is just the end plate i could be wrong I havent checked the site in a while
Old 04-12-2007, 01:58 PM

Straight from their site: CA Dual pass intercooler plate kit comes with a custom made dual pass intercooler end plate, y - fitting , 2 stainless steel braided hoses , assorted clamps and instructions. This kit will decrease intake temperatures and maximize efficiecy of the cooling system. With a dual pass the cooled water enters the intercooler and is split into two paths. Each path cools only 2 cores(versus stock cools 4 cores), so the water stays cooler and keeps the IC charge cooler. All for $240

Old 04-12-2007, 04:19 PM

yeah its the end plate you will have to buy the cooling reservior. you can run the endplate without the secondary cooling reservior. You can make your own dual pass end plate for around 70.00 using your stock endplate if you want to attempt it. there is a how to out there