ADVANCED Performance Modifications For advanced modification topics only.

LNF Swap in LSJ Cobalt

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 09:38 PM
Got Bewst?

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Suuub'd
Old 12-05-2012, 11:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
UPDATE:

Powell has put me in touch with somebody that knows this swap better than anyone. I'm still gathering the necessary information before I decide to go through with it but I'll keep this thread updated.

It looks like my panel is full so I'll need to make a sub-panel so that I can supply the 240V necessary for the lift and welder in my garage.

ALSO...I have a decision to make. In order to make a 2 post lift work in my garage (safely), I'll need to jack hammer the cement where the posts will be and pour about 2 ft deep there to ensure the structural integrity of the lift. The cement will need to cure for at least a month before I can even attach the lift.

There is a quicker option though...

MSC-6K Mobile Single Column Lift | North American Auto Equipment

It looks scary but I spoke to 2 different companies and they said that everyone that buys these will also use Underhoist Stands in the beginning but become more comfortable with it as they actually work under it.

FUN FACT

Looking at this picture. The CobaltSS is in fact longer than the NSRT-4, and it is...

2005 Cobalt GVWR=3870

2005 Neon SRT4 GVWR=3868

Anyway, thanks for reading my thread this far. I have no idea what will become of it but for some reason I find myself attracted to the Cobalt SS. We must make it a little faster than the SRT.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:13 PM

Well,

I've had no response from anyone so this is beginning to look less likely to happen.

I'm going to tear the LSJ down this weekend and see how bad it really is and go from there.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:20 PM
Got Bewst?

That's your best bet IMO
Old 12-13-2012, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Bluelightning
That's your best bet IMO
I know man but I REALLY wanted to make it work. This LNF has no miles on it...lol..

I'll probably strip it to a long block and Ebay it for $1500. A virtually new LB LNF for $1500. Almost every LNF on Ebay right now looks like **** and is double that..

Maybe I'll keep the TVS now too. ****!!!! I bought the ZZP LNF intercooler package and tons of other **** too.. FML!

Old 12-14-2012, 12:14 PM
Got Bewst?

See what's damaged first in your motor. If its not bad might as well take the money you planned to buy a long block with and build the motor. Definitey keep that TVS and slap it on!
Old 12-14-2012, 12:19 PM
Banned

Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts
on a side note, your car was made the same month/year I graduated high school haha
Old 12-16-2012, 12:47 PM

See what's damaged first in your motor. If its not bad might as well take the money you planned to buy a long block with and build the motor. Definitey keep that TVS and slap it on!
My fiance and I agreed that I'll take the rest of this year to decide the fate of the Cobalt. I'm not sure I want to keep it any more or the SRT-4. I was hoping to pull the head this weekend but we had a situation with one of our properties... FML again..

The LSD tranny is geared for a turbo though so I may stick to that. Most people would prefer a LSD when buying these cars so that and the fact that the car is in really good condition should be an easy sell once it's running.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:04 PM

Well, I found some time today so I pulled the head. Took me two fracking hours...Much longer than I anticipated but I did it all with my 1/4" 19.2V impact gun and your basic hand tools.. I haven't wired my garage yet, so no air. It was pretty easy actually but my lame ass Haynes manual doesn't really tell me ****...lol..That damn lower bolt on the intake manifold stole 20 minutes of my time. To add insult to injury, internet was down today so I was on my own..

The moment I have waiting 18 months for is now over. I know what I did to my car. As you can see every intake valve is bent.

The valves left marks on the pistons but they didn't crack. The engine was cold and never ran when the valve-train interference happened.

So what do you guys think? Head saveable or not worth the risk?
Old 12-19-2012, 11:16 AM
Got Bewst?

The bigger question is how did the valves bend? Is the cam chain tensioner broken? For what a used head is worth I would just get another one.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:43 AM

The bigger question is how did the valves bend? Is the cam chain tensioner broken? For what a used head is worth I would just get another one.
Long story, but the short version is tensioner went bad.

I decided not to risk the head or valve-train so I purchased a replacement from another forum member for like $250 shipped.

All four pistons have marks in them though so I'm going to replace those too. Maybe go a little higher compression. Now that I'm working on the car, I don't know if I really want to sell it.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:53 AM
Got Bewst?

Yup throw some forged pistons in there. I wouldn't put higher compression pistons in if I were you. Maybe if you had access to E85. Otherwise it's not really worth it. Keep it! That's minor damage. Bolt the TVS on and smile ear to ear haha.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:20 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by EXsoccer1921
just get a standalone.
Good luck tuning a LNF with a stand alone. Talk about a nightmare.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:17 PM

Yup throw some forged pistons in there. I wouldn't put higher compression pistons in if I were you. Maybe if you had access to E85. Otherwise it's not really worth it. Keep it! That's minor damage. Bolt the TVS on and smile ear to ear haha.
I'm not sure the TVS will give me that ear to ear smile on a stock motor when I have a 400WHP SRT-4 to compare it to. The cost of the TVS has gone up and I happen to have a brand new one with a stock pulley and a 2.7". I don't plan to run E85 but I do have 93 and have plans for a 50/50 meth system just like the SRT has. I don't care what anyone says about that mixture. I invite them to come run next to my SRT if they don't think a couple of bottles of Heet and some Peak goes a long way and you can buy it anywhere.

How much WHP were you getting before your motor blew up? I've conversed with LSJ member in the past that have blown up theirs with the TVS too which is why I'm curious.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:43 PM
Got Bewst?

A 400whp turbo car is nice for sure. But one of the reasons why I haven't gone turbo is I love the powerband of a supercharger. So much fun. I was around 330whp with my car. The key to your motor lasting is all in the tune. Has nothing to do with having a supercharger or turbo.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what are you going to do about the old head? interested in selling it maybe?
Old 12-20-2012, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by BlkWdoSS
what are you going to do about the old head? interested in selling it maybe?
What's it worth as it sits? PM an offer if you'd like. We have paypal.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:21 AM

The key to your motor lasting is all in the tune. Has nothing to do with having a supercharger or turbo.
Tune for sure and replacing the stock pistons and head bolts. Seen guys stretch the stockers.

How was your traction or lack of in second gear @ 330WHP on street tires?
Old 12-20-2012, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by BlkWdoSS
If you want to do this relatively cheap and make it easy, I advice talking to Facepalm_IRL and buying an LNF take off kit.
I took your quote from the turbo LSJ thread but is that really possible? LNF take off?

Can the LNF intake manifold be used?

I promised my fiance I'd make a decision on the car by the first of the year. I have 12 days left...lol..
Old 12-20-2012, 12:44 PM
Got Bewst?

Originally Posted by 05RallyYellowSS
Tune for sure and replacing the stock pistons and head bolts. Seen guys stretch the stockers.

How was your traction or lack of in second gear @ 330WHP on street tires?
Pistons for sure are the weak link. The stock head bolts are actually pretty stout. I was making 26 psi without issues. They are just a one time use.

In 2nd doing a 40mph roll on it would blow the tires off if you just punched it. Kinda learnt to roll into the gas if you want traction in 2nd haha.

Last edited by Bluelightning; 12-20-2012 at 12:57 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:48 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
A 400whp turbo car is nice for sure. But one of the reasons why I haven't gone turbo is I love the powerband of a supercharger. So much fun. I was around 330whp with my car. The key to your motor lasting is all in the tune. Has nothing to do with having a supercharger or turbo.
With the right turbo it will make way more torque and Hp then you have right now and a very good powerband. They key is not going too big or too small. Something like a EFR 6758 is about perfect for 400whp or more and a good long powerband.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:01 PM

Pistons for sure are the weak link. The stock head bolts are actually pretty stout. I was making 26 psi without issues. They are just a one time use.

In 2nd doing a 40mph roll on it would blow the tires off if you just punched it. Kinda learnt to roll into the gas if you want traction in 2nd haha.
The stock head bolts are weak too. I know a guy that stretched them causing his head to actually lift a little putting coolant in places it shouldn't of been. I believe he was at around 300WHP on the TVS at the time. I believe he ran for about a year though before he had problems but they had never been touched.

Now can you image if you were at 26 PSI on a turbo instead? I keep the SRT conservative at 22 PSI and put down 400WHP but plan to get some time-slips next year and then turn it up. I should have the SS going by then to take to the track as well.

Yesterday I was selling the SRT and keeping the Cobalt but today I'm selling both and buying a Z06. lol

I was thinking about the TVS again but I probably wouldn't make any more money selling the Cobalt with it versus selling it as new. And then there's the fact that the G85 trans I have is for an LNF so I'm not sure how that final drive gearing would be with the TVS. And then I still have all of that brand new LNF stuff to consider too..lol.

What about the LSJ sleeves? Are the stockers OK? ZZP doesn't seem to be offering their girdled block anymore on the website in case tomorrow I decide to keep the Cobalt...lol..
Old 12-20-2012, 02:16 PM
Got Bewst?

No question you can make more power with a turbo. To each their own.

For the longest time I was throwing around upgraded sleeves. ZZP themselves said that stock sleeves are good for 99% of LSJ builds.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:05 PM

No question you can make more power with a turbo. To each their own.

For the longest time I was throwing around upgraded sleeves. ZZP themselves said that stock sleeves are good for 99% of LSJ builds.
This thread is going to die while your build thread will keep going on. I've sub it to see where you take your car. Had my car not been out of commission for over 18 months, I would have installed all of the stuff I bought to support that TVS and am sure I would have been happy. Unfortunately for the Cobalt, I spent almost two years building a business and had no time to work on her until now. The SRT is awesome too but was really an impulse buy due to the price and timing of the situation. I won't lose a penny selling the SRT though. Can't say the same about a Cobalt in the same year.

I'm ready to move on. I will always respect the Cobalt SS. I spent a year trying to find my car. I could have financed the 09 with the factory tune or go with the 05 for 12K less and I chose the latter. My car put down 228WHP with just an airbox delete with K&N and I welded up a flowmaster to replace that ridiculous stock muffler.

I bought all of the stuff to support the TVS because I wanted to keep the Cobalt supercharged but then I bought this SRT-4 and realized that TVS was never going to get me where I wanted to be.

Good luck with your car man. I'm going to test drive this on Saturday...

Old 12-21-2012, 09:25 AM
Got Bewst?

Well I can't be anything except jealous on your new ride lol. Right now with cash flow my Balt is just a good bang for the buck. It's like my cheap Ferrari lol. Couple years down the road hopefully I can look into something that you are. Let us know if you get it!

Quick Reply: LNF Swap in LSJ Cobalt