Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   ADVANCED Performance Modifications (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/advanced-performance-modifications-130/)
-   -   Performance Mods: Adding TVS (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/advanced-performance-modifications-130/performance-mods-adding-tvs-269753/)

jgarciarivera 01-27-2012 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by zrated89 (Post 6302320)
cars going on E85 soon and i will post dynos then. car is on a 2.7 pulley right now. 2.6 has been ordered. Will be going 11s this season

Very nice, I will be waiting for your results. Also, how much boost your adding with the 2.7" pulley? Are you using a ported head by any chance?

zrated89 01-27-2012 11:08 PM

No stock head. See 22 consistantly 24 right before redline

jgarciarivera 01-30-2012 08:18 PM

So I did a bit of search here and found out Area47 mods. I did identify some of these mods while reading the GM Ecotec 2.0L 300+HP Motor build up.

So if he's putting 414 HP (crank), that means he's putting 828 BHP/L (power per liter)? Now I see the need of those 98 lb/hr injectors on his setup.

harrop tvs 2.6 inch pulley - So he's putting 26psi?

98lb/hr injectors - Currently I have 80's

OTT intake - Is this a 3" intake?

snow performance water injection kit. - I'm not using meth

pace setter header, personal mods

3 inch dp - Need one

3 inch vibrant cat back - Need one

24inch vibrant resonator - This is big

autometer ultralite 2 egt - Not sure If I'm getting one of these

Autometer ultralite P/H 30-0-30 gauge - Already have a 30 psi gauge but need MAP sensor.

innovate db series w/b w/lc-1

hp tuners w/ my personal tune {no, you can't have it} - I will be buying HPT

PRS/OTT mounts

78lb supertech valve spring kit - GM recommends 85lb valve springs

Cobra FMHE - Need one of these

Option B w/o dual pass - Already have installed.

walbro 255 fuel pump. modified. - He's using a return style fuel system. I already have one.

On another note, I found a post where a user claimed 53HP gains on a ported head. That means, porting is a must for high HP at high RPM.

More to come!!

Bluelightning 01-30-2012 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by jgarciarivera (Post 6307142)
So I did a bit of search here and found out Area47 mods. I did identify some of these mods while reading the GM Ecotec 2.0L 300+HP Motor build up.

So if he's putting 414 HP (crank), that means he's putting 828 BHP/L (power per liter)? Now I see the need of those 98 lb/hr injectors on his setup.

harrop tvs 2.6 inch pulley - So he's putting 26psi?

98lb/hr injectors - Currently I have 80's

OTT intake -Is this a 3" intake?

snow performance water injection kit. - I'm not using meth

pace setter header, personal mods

3 inch dp - Need one

3 inch vibrant cat back - Need one

24inch vibrant resonator - This is big

autometer ultralite 2 egt - Not sure If I'm getting one of these

Autometer ultralite P/H 30-0-30 gauge - Already have a 30 psi gauge but need MAP sensor.

innovate db series w/b w/lc-1

hp tuners w/ my personal tune {no, you can't have it} - I will be buying HPT

PRS/OTT mounts

78lb supertech valve spring kit - GM recommends 85lb valve springs

Cobra FMHE - Need one of these

Option B w/o dual pass - Already have installed.

walbro 255 fuel pump. modified. - He's using a return style fuel system. I already have one.

On another note, I found a post where a user claimed 53HP gains on a ported head. That means, porting is a must for high HP at high RPM.

More to come!!

Area was running E not meth. Yes OTTP's intake is 3"

Area47 374whp,314wtq Verified Dynojet, (360/301 on a 2.6 and stock head) 2.5/H/DP/CD/E/E-85/T/TVS/98lbs/PH/RS Graph

Gabi 01-30-2012 09:51 PM

jose,

its really nice to know that you are doing this, i tried some times ago but the lack of time hold me back so i sold my tvs and i got a turbo convertion. i used to love my tvs but the lack of good tunner here made most of things impossible. actually thats whats holding me back again. im thinking in built my engine too, the only thing that i need right now it is the block (i already have all the others parts). if you need hp tuner, i got the pro version that i can lend it to you so you can tune it (but you will need to learn how to use it since i dont know). well if you want you can pm or give me a call and we can arange some things :)
good luck ;)

SunburstSS 01-30-2012 10:12 PM

Im not tryna start an argument or anything but i want to say that I ran my m62 with meth for about 30ks and my rotor coating was fine, and the bearings were fine, and im still runnig the kit for now with no problems, im using a 35/65, meth/H2O ratio :)

Im kinda liking the 300whp on pump gas thou :)

hmmm...me having some thoughts :)

zfissette 01-31-2012 08:45 AM

I find it wild that people are saying they are slow at 300, mines a hell raiser from a roll at 273. im excited to see what the tvs does, mine should be in my hands in a week.

alleycat58 01-31-2012 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by SunburstSS (Post 6307413)
Im not tryna start an argument or anything but i want to say that I ran my m62 with meth for about 30ks and my rotor coating was fine, and the bearings were fine, and im still runnig the kit for now with no problems, im using a 35/65, meth/H2O ratio :)

Im kinda liking the 300whp on pump gas thou :)

hmmm...me having some thoughts :)

The meth thing is hit or miss. I've seen M62s that are wrecked from meth, I've seen them fine. I think this was covered either earlier in this thread or another one. It really does seem to be a crap shoot with it.

Bluelightning 01-31-2012 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by alleycat58 (Post 6307982)
The meth thing is hit or miss. I've seen M62s that are wrecked from meth, I've seen them fine. I think this was covered either earlier in this thread or another one. It really does seem to be a crap shoot with it.

I totally agree. I've seen M62 teflon peel without any meth at all. One thing I've never seen is someone saying "Look what meth did to the teflon on my TVS". It's always been M62's.

Staged07SS 01-31-2012 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Bluelightning (Post 6308112)
I totally agree. I've seen M62 teflon peel without any meth at all. One thing I've never seen is someone saying "Look what meth did to the teflon on my TVS". It's always been M62's.

abratable coating not teflon :)

Bluelightning 01-31-2012 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Staged07SS (Post 6308130)
abratable coating not teflon :)

I knew that was coming lol

freakta 01-31-2012 11:10 AM

Ya these cars are fun at 300 hp

Bluelightning 01-31-2012 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by freakta (Post 6308149)
Ya these cars are fun at 300 hp

I. Can. Not. Wait... :)

Staged07SS 01-31-2012 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Bluelightning (Post 6308146)
I knew that was coming lol

:lol:

jgarciarivera 01-31-2012 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Gabi (Post 6307364)
jose,

its really nice to know that you are doing this, i tried some times ago but the lack of time hold me back so i sold my tvs and i got a turbo convertion. i used to love my tvs but the lack of good tunner here made most of things impossible. actually thats whats holding me back again. im thinking in built my engine too, the only thing that i need right now it is the block (i already have all the others parts). if you need hp tuner, i got the pro version that i can lend it to you so you can tune it (but you will need to learn how to use it since i dont know). well if you want you can pm or give me a call and we can arange some things :)
good luck ;)

PM sent

What happened to your block?

Gabi 02-04-2012 07:25 PM

pm answer

the block is all right i just want to be in the safe side with my built ;)

jgarciarivera 02-10-2012 08:06 PM

I've put on hold my research on getting numbers given CFM but I decided to go with M2 race to port the head. Meanwhile, I've been looking for manufacturers of laminova cores and getting ideas on how to design an IM for the cobalt. Found one manufacturer in the US. Also, I just found some heatexchangers that I'm currently looking at.

2 core
http://www.hi-flow.com/HP-006Intercoolers/2coreHP1.jpg

3 core
http://www.hi-flow.com/HP-006Intercoolers/3coreHP1.jpg

4 core
http://www.hi-flow.com/HP-006Intercoolers/4coreHP1.jpg

Also, I'm deciding if I want to go with the ZZP girdle 2.0 or 2.1

More to come...

RooTBeeR 02-10-2012 09:42 PM

why are you bothering to look at anything lamnova?

ebristol 02-10-2012 10:33 PM

I like the direction of this thread.

First off. Don't let anyone kill any of your ideas without backing up their opinion with facts. You have been doing your research and instead of listening to what people are saying, you are collecting facts.

:)

2.1L block for sure. You are going to like the extra displacement.

The only thing I would like to add about ported heads is some research that I did a couple years ago regarding intake/exhaust flow rates. Working with Omega_5, he suggested that in supercharged applications it is better to leave the intake runners alone when porting. He suggested that in supercharged application the exhaust port should flow approximately 80% of the air in comparison to the the intake. In NA applications, its more important to have the intake port flow much more then the exhaust port.

Using that information and the flow chart from M2race...

It would imply that it would be better to just port the exhaust runners and leave the intake alone. The ratio between the ported exhaust and the stock intake is much more favorable for supercharged applications compared to ported exhaust and ported intake.

I am not 100% sure of this theory but it might be something to look into a little bit more yourself. At the time, I contacted M2race and asked if I could get a head with just the exhaust ports done and they said yes. The price was a lot better too.

jgarciarivera 02-11-2012 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by ebristol (Post 6332388)
I like the direction of this thread.

First off. Don't let anyone kill any of your ideas without backing up their opinion with facts. You have been doing your research and instead of listening to what people are saying, you are collecting facts.

:)

2.1L block for sure. You are going to like the extra displacement.

The only thing I would like to add about ported heads is some research that I did a couple years ago regarding intake/exhaust flow rates. Working with Omega_5, he suggested that in supercharged applications it is better to leave the intake runners alone when porting. He suggested that in supercharged application the exhaust port should flow approximately 80% of the air in comparison to the the intake. In NA applications, its more important to have the intake port flow much more then the exhaust port.

Using that information and the flow chart from M2race...

It would imply that it would be better to just port the exhaust runners and leave the intake alone. The ratio between the ported exhaust and the stock intake is much more favorable for supercharged applications compared to ported exhaust and ported intake.

I am not 100% sure of this theory but it might be something to look into a little bit more yourself. At the time, I contacted M2race and asked if I could get a head with just the exhaust ports done and they said yes. The price was a lot better too.

Thanks man. You have given me good information. I will add your comments to my research. I'm still gathering data to understand and learn what are the best options to get maximum performance when porting the head. I do have a few links that I found out in regards to porting. Once I get more answer I will share it with you.

zrated89 02-11-2012 11:20 AM

Ethuansia / for head porting

jgarciarivera 02-11-2012 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by RooTBeeR (Post 6332318)
why are you bothering to look at anything lamnova?

I've been looking for ways to improve cooling. The first is by using different laminova cores. I think this may not yield good gains though. So I started looking for companies that build laminovas, heat exchangers and intakes. Lots of them have patents on laminova cores. Here's an email I sent to one of the companies I contacted.

"I'm interested in buying performance laminova cores for a Chevy Cobalt
2.0L LSL Intake manifold. I want to know if by any chance you guys
have upgrade versions of these laminova cores.

Regards

Jose Garcia

Reply to my email:

The only "upgrade" would be adding larger or numerically more cores. This will increase surface area and thus more cooling potential. I don't think this would be an option unless you make a larger inlet manifold. Another upgrade would be to increase the size or add more cooling to the heat-exchanger that cools the water. Lowering the water temperature even with the stock size and number of cores will add performance.

Regards,

Eric Weller
BAT Inc
sales@batinc.net

With that said, I been thinking adding one of the heat exchangers, or designing an IM with more laminova cores. I will not be using other means for cooling air (meth, nitrous, etc)

zfissette 02-11-2012 07:14 PM

the biggest problem is space and peoples total unwillingness to fabricate anything. if you relocate the alternator to the ac compressor position and have a pulley and bracket made to fill the alternators place youll free up a ton of space next to the block for more intake manifold, then the can have the block machined to remove the canister type oil filter and run taps right out of the side of the block to a remote oil filter and cooler. Then have a custom intake fabricated where you can use lami cores almost as long as the head and as many of them as you want. the only thing that you dont want to change is the final position of the drive pulley but any fabrication shop should be able to do a good mock up based on the original manifold since the position of the head and supercharger will be unchanged in the final design. i looked into this when i first built my lsj but the conclusion i came to after having the stock one converted to single pass and fully ported was that once your temps are low and your flow rate is high youve exhausted the increase your going to see. if your motor moves 800 cfm and the ported manifold flows 900, what gain is there to creating one that flows 1200? you motor has no way to take advantage of it. with all of my cooling mods and a tvs without meth the highest i can get the temps after 4 back to back pulls on the dyno is 130 and it drops the instant you take your foot off the gas. that level of heat doesnt generate any knock at all, 100 degree temps wont make noticably more power than 130, the proof is in the pulls. at the end of the first pull 90 degree temps, at the end of the 4th 130 degree temps. identical power on all 4 pulls. this is why i shitcanned those plan in favor of other routes to power.

jgarciarivera 02-11-2012 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by zfissette (Post 6333732)
the biggest problem is space and peoples total unwillingness to fabricate anything. if you relocate the alternator to the ac compressor position and have a pulley and bracket made to fill the alternators place youll free up a ton of space next to the block for more intake manifold, then the can have the block machined to remove the canister type oil filter and run taps right out of the side of the block to a remote oil filter and cooler. Then have a custom intake fabricated where you can use lami cores almost as long as the head and as many of them as you want. the only thing that you dont want to change is the final position of the drive pulley but any fabrication shop should be able to do a good mock up based on the original manifold since the position of the head and supercharger will be unchanged in the final design. i looked into this when i first built my lsj but the conclusion i came to after having the stock one converted to single pass and fully ported was that once your temps are low and your flow rate is high youve exhausted the increase your going to see. if your motor moves 800 cfm and the ported manifold flows 900, what gain is there to creating one that flows 1200? you motor has no way to take advantage of it. with all of my cooling mods and a tvs without meth the highest i can get the temps after 4 back to back pulls on the dyno is 130 and it drops the instant you take your foot off the gas. that level of heat doesnt generate any knock at all, 100 degree temps wont make noticably more power than 130, the proof is in the pulls. at the end of the first pull 90 degree temps, at the end of the 4th 130 degree temps. identical power on all 4 pulls. this is why i shitcanned those plan in favor of other routes to power.

You have provided good insight details. I'm still doing research, and have found a couple of things that may help design an IM.

zfissette 02-11-2012 07:51 PM

my most honest suggestion based on the conclusion of my research was to run a 1 inch plate under the supercharger with a motorcycle radiator in it just like this one.

http://shop.zzperformance.com/store/...ck-Intercooler.

ideally you would run two seperate intercooler systems, one off a stage 3 heat exchanger in the front mount position like your car was 2.2 or 2.4 sc conversion and then the ported single pass lim off a griffin heat exchanger in the stock position. so you would use option b for one system and a stock filler neck for the second system. mounting a second ic pump under the first should be fairly simple. youll need to modify the upper radiator support a little to clear the raised blower and run the engine coolant tube under the blower snout instead of over it.
but thats all if you want to run the two intercoolers seperate, it would obviously be simpler to run them in series. all you would need to do is order 2 of the zzp supercharger spacer plates that they use for meth injection, then find a narrow heater core or small radiator that fits inside the opening, then dremel the plates so it and its feed/return tubes run through it then close the two halfs around it and install. at that point you can either run a longer belt or make a custom tensioner which is fairly simple if its not self adjusting.