ADVANCED Performance Modifications For advanced modification topics only.

"SHORT BUS" LNF Sedan Build Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 01:48 AM

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by SS_Bananna
Enter the Shade room then buddy.
Come back with a good reasoning rather than trying to brush off what o said, so far all you claim is knowledge and good reputable tune that i myself know is too much timing and boost. some expert you are.
Old 11-09-2016, 03:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by no_ss
Come back with a good reasoning rather than trying to brush off what o said, so far all you claim is knowledge and good reputable tune that i myself know is too much timing and boost. some expert you are.

Tune was fine.

WELL ANYWAYS...... Before the **** show started, I was going to update that i am currently Waiting on my Hahn upgrade kit. Spoke to bill yesterday and he informed me that it will be about 3-4 weeks before it ships out.

Ordered the maf extension harness (even tho you can un loom the factory wire and make it reach i decided not to), Aluminum catch can with breather, An fittings and lines, Turbo guard ( since the catch can will be taking the place of where the intake will be, new o2 husing and manifold gaskets.

Cant wait to install the kit once it goes in. Shooting for 480-500whp.
Old 11-09-2016, 05:39 AM

Received 316 Likes on 296 Posts
Guys don't turn into Facebook, I understand everyones concern with James but let's try and be civil. I follow Dylan's car and can say it probably has more track passes on that motor than any other cobalt in the country. I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did. It's a testament to how good the motors are. 43,000 of hard use without forged pistons is a lot. I'm staying away from how the piston got that way. Glad to see it's back up and going.
The following users liked this post:
SS_Bananna (11-09-2016)
Old 11-09-2016, 08:40 AM

Received 222 Likes on 182 Posts
why do I feel like yellow sedans are the ones most modified out of all the sedan colors lol
Old 11-09-2016, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by 63 Nova SS
Guys don't turn into Facebook, I understand everyones concern with James but let's try and be civil. I follow Dylan's car and can say it probably has more track passes on that motor than any other cobalt in the country. I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did. It's a testament to how good the motors are. 43,000 of hard use without forged pistons is a lot. I'm staying away from how the piston got that way. Glad to see it's back up and going.

it quickly was turning into facebook, im glad you mentioned what you just did because no one was understanding that.
Old 11-09-2016, 06:34 PM

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts
Doesn't look like KR to me. Most likely a lot of long, extended pulls (lots of heat, regardless of the ethanol) and boost that comes in early and strong. Based on what was mentioned in the first post, especially doing TX2K16, that's a lot of extended pulls in 4th and possibly even 5th gear.

Does Rakes blow nards? Probably. However, I don't think this is attributable to him.

Enjoy the new setup OP!
SS_Bananna (11-09-2016)
Old 11-12-2016, 06:21 AM

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Been there. This is an LNF piston.

Name:  IMG_20160809_224009414_HDR_zpsjg13zn06.jpg
Views: 1040
Size:  90.9 KB

Name:  IMG_20160809_223957640_HDR_zpsguopowhy.jpg
Views: 1104
Size:  89.0 KB

This type of failure, IMO, is more relative to ring gap/cylinder pressure than your failure. Also depends if yours was cracked like this and then you beat on it more? This piston produced 75# compression, burnt oil, and sounded like the normal subi miss fire so obviouly I didn't make anymore pulls with it(ok I made one more 2nd gear pull just because I had an LDK on the way ). Also, I did drive it an additional 20-30 miles like this without worse damage. Looks like I'll be fixing my lnf soon. Not sure how much I trust these ldk pistons. I also beat the living **** out of mine and push the limits like you do Bannana

That said, blaming the tune and ignoring all of the other variables which could have had some influence on the failure is asinine. Get all the facts before you blame a tune entirely. Example: fuel mixture with low ethanol % and low octane/volatility in combination with a sudden atmospheric change in which the ecm could have been in the process of adapting while being beat on or even some type of overboost situation. Regardless, it's obvious our tunes are a bit on the extreme side but that's what happens when you keep pushing to go faster.

Banana, I got 3 tenths on you race me to the 10s?
SS_Bananna (11-12-2016)
Old 11-12-2016, 07:39 AM

I will race you to the 11's, but I think I will leave 10's to the nova. Much easier...
Old 11-12-2016, 12:55 PM

Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by LNFwagonSS
I will race you to the 11's, but I think I will leave 10's to the nova. Much easier...
Can I play too?
Old 11-12-2016, 02:15 PM

Been there. This is an LNF piston.

This type of failure, IMO, is more relative to ring gap/cylinder pressure than your failure. Also depends if yours was cracked like this and then you beat on it more? This piston produced 75# compression, burnt oil, and sounded like the normal subi miss fire so obviouly I didn't make anymore pulls with it(ok I made one more 2nd gear pull just because I had an LDK on the way ). Also, I did drive it an additional 20-30 miles like this without worse damage. Looks like I'll be fixing my lnf soon. Not sure how much I trust these ldk pistons. I also beat the living **** out of mine and push the limits like you do Bannana

That said, blaming the tune and ignoring all of the other variables which could have had some influence on the failure is asinine. Get all the facts before you blame a tune entirely. Example: fuel mixture with low ethanol % and low octane/volatility in combination with a sudden atmospheric change in which the ecm could have been in the process of adapting while being beat on or even some type of overboost situation. Regardless, it's obvious our tunes are a bit on the extreme side but that's what happens when you keep pushing to go faster.

couldnt have said it any better. lol we'll see about going for 10's. maybe with the new turbo setup i may be able to get there! Import Faceoff is tomorrow here in louisiana and i am going to try my best to get into the 11's tomorrow!!!
Old 11-12-2016, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by KMO43
Can I play too?

SURE! lol yall keep in mind that im at sea level with almost perfect DA lol
Old 11-12-2016, 02:18 PM

SURE! lol yall keep in mind that im at sea level with almost perfect DA lol
That's fine with me. I'm at altitude but won't complain. This spring I'll be ready to see what I can get out of her
Old 11-12-2016, 03:00 PM

I just use the da calculator to see where I would be on the nation level at sea level. Somewhere around 12.74. 6758 will go on over the winter so we will see. If I could still daily it and run high 11's without breaking anything I will be content. Ryan Colon (sorry if I misspelled it) is the car to beat right now since ZZP is mostly only running 1/2 miles. His is built and I believe runs 10.80's. looking at his build that's a lot of work gaining only 1 second over high 11's.
Old 11-12-2016, 03:54 PM

Easy is no fun haha
Can I play too?
Hellz ya! Fat set of meats will do you wonders.

I just use the da calculator to see where I would be on the nation level at sea level. Somewhere around 12.74. 6758 will go on over the winter so we will see. If I could still daily it and run high 11's without breaking anything I will be content. Ryan Colon (sorry if I misspelled it) is the car to beat right now since ZZP is mostly only running 1/2 miles. His is built and I believe runs 10.80's. looking at his build that's a lot of work gaining only 1 second over high 11's.
He just blew up a cryo, wpc, 445 trans from werks sadly.
Old 11-12-2016, 03:54 PM

couldnt have said it any better. lol we'll see about going for 10's. maybe with the new turbo setup i may be able to get there! Import Faceoff is tomorrow here in louisiana and i am going to try my best to get into the 11's tomorrow!!!
Good luck on the 11s!
Old 11-12-2016, 04:03 PM

Hellz ya! Fat set of meats will do you wonders.
I will be trying some M&H slicks first 26x8.5 17s I really don't want to throw LSJ brakes on and go with a 15in slick so hopefully this will do for me but I have the brakes
Old 11-12-2016, 04:53 PM

Sorry to hijack your thread for a moment Banana but I see Ryan is also doing his build on a Gen 3 non girdled block. I ready do believe that the Gen 3 will hold up to everything I am going to throw at it in my build and that ZZP rates it lower to get sales. I won't be making over 650hp or 35psi where I believe the girdle would help
Old 11-12-2016, 06:43 PM

I doubt Dylan is going to care about thread jacking. I guess Ryan's name on here is Cran3s I forgot he posted his time in the drag thread. There is no dedicated drag page that I know of on Facebook for Cobalt's. Dylan,Ryan and just a couple others are the only ones who post on ssgang about drag racing as most just do roll. My take on that is that most give up trying to get traction and just turn to roll instead. I know from time to time I have questions to run by kmo43 and lnfwagonSS and it sucks that this page is the only way to do it. I have Dylan's contact info and we bounce things off one another. He has helped me a lot in setting the wot box and given me some pointers on getting it down the track. Dylan I hope you do well, and get those 11's. Sorry to hear Ryan broke that trans as those through them are really expensive. I'm guessing it's time for an f40 or 23, if that pwerks trans can't hold his power.
Old 11-12-2016, 07:06 PM

This is why im getting a f40
Old 11-12-2016, 08:17 PM

I thought if I went that way I should be spending the money on the nova instead. It's already built for it, just waiting on me to finish it.
Old 11-12-2016, 09:22 PM

I will be trying some M&H slicks first 26x8.5 17s I really don't want to throw LSJ brakes on and go with a 15in slick so hopefully this will do for me but I have the brakes
Honestly man, if you want 1.7 60' your gonna want to delete the brembos or put the balt on EXTREME diet. The more sidewall, the better. Not only for grip, but for smooth, consistent launching. Just my. 02 breh

I doubt Dylan is going to care about thread jacking. I guess Ryan's name on here is Cran3s I forgot he posted his time in the drag thread. There is no dedicated drag page that I know of on Facebook for Cobalt's. Dylan,Ryan and just a couple others are the only ones who post on ssgang about drag racing as most just do roll. My take on that is that most give up trying to get traction and just turn to roll instead. I know from time to time I have questions to run by kmo43 and lnfwagonSS and it sucks that this page is the only way to do it. I have Dylan's contact info and we bounce things off one another. He has helped me a lot in setting the wot box and given me some pointers on getting it down the track. Dylan I hope you do well, and get those 11's. Sorry to hear Ryan broke that trans as those through them are really expensive. I'm guessing it's time for an f40 or 23, if that pwerks trans can't hold his power.
Look me up on fb for quicker response. Jason Perrotto. I'll have a business fb page in the near future as well.

The F35 is only as good as the build/core quality, more so than any other trans out there. That said, The shitty part about the F40 is it will inevitably have more drivetrain drag power loss compared to f35, especially with the use of the dual mass flywheel(which is the best option compared to the race clutch setup on the F40 for a few reasons IMO also depending how the car is used). Weigh your options man. Make more power to be able to transfer it through or go with a more efficient drivetrain and waste less power. Regardless the F40 is superior to any other option out there(as far as strength and top speed) but the ZZP kit is out of stock again! Not trying to sway you one way or another but I had an LSD F40 and I sold it for several reasons. If your going for 600tq, disregard everything I just said lol.

Banana, sorry for the digressions lol. I see you are keeping the engine in the car. Are you not worried about decking the block to head surface? I understand this is the quickest/easiest way to go and can be effective but I can't bring myself to do it this way. Not to mention, fitting all the bearings ect is less of a pita with the engine out. Just curious
Old 11-12-2016, 10:42 PM

I only care about peak hp on my next dyno then I'll not care to lose a couple hps
Old 11-13-2016, 07:05 AM

I will probably never do it but I would still love to do the quaffe 6spd conversion. Would love to have those gear ratios. I've heard the gears are stronger and more straight cut, but I would think that the shaft flex due to lack of support would still make 3&4 gear vulnerable. I'm surprised you got rid of the f40.
Old 11-14-2016, 10:41 PM

Well the fastest pass I made yesterday was a 12.47 @113.8 due to this shitty Non LSD trans that I have.

On my 4th pass I ran a 12.7 and when I turned onto the return rode the trans was clanking and poping. I limped it back to the pits and found out that it was leaking fluid from the bell housing. It may be a broken TOB . Welol see when I pull it apart tomorrow. Today I went and got an awesome deal on a good working 4.05 LSD trans for 150$. Ordered a new tob, clutch pipe, and fluid. Car will be back up in a few days.
Old 11-14-2016, 10:42 PM

Search this Thread