ADVANCED Performance Modifications For advanced modification topics only.

Turbo Swap Advice-Turbo Guru's Please Help....

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 08:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Turbo Swap Advice-Turbo Guru's Please Help....

Hello again guys. I know there are tons of threads on turbo's, but none that give me the info I need. I have always been anti-turbo, and have loved superchargers. I absolutely HATE lag, I prefer instant response. However, I have been sitting and thinking alot this "off season" about which direction I want to go. Believe it or not, I AM actually kicking around the idea of a turbo. The reason for this, is I'm wanting big power, and everyone knows that you can get there with a turbo alot faster than with a supercharger. Not to mention, we don't have any help from vendors on blower swaps. All of my current mods are listed in my "garage", but I can list them if need be. What I need to know, is what all will I need, to convert to a turbo setup- and make 400+whp? I need advice on what kind of turbo's to look at, and what all I need to make it work properly. Obviously I want as little lag as possible. I need you guys who really know alot about turbo setups to help me out. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would keep the blower and run a twin charge your super will accomidate for the turbo lag.

If you want power gt35r's i have heard are great

your going to want a front mount intercooler and a manifold the saab 93 has a manifold that will bolt upto the LSJ 2k5SS SC knows of a guy that makes good aftermarket manifolds for the saab 93 so I would shoot him a pm about it.

You also going to want to beef up your internals some and also may I ask what is your target horsepower?
Old 11-12-2006, 09:04 PM

well problem is that, one way or another, the size of a turbo, your gonna get really lil lag and not much power out of it or more lag and more power. everyone know the bigger the turbo, the more lag dut to thesize and pressure needed to get it spinning fast enough, but once it is, BOOM, power. well with a alil turbo u might have quick power with lil lag but your gonna just be spinning it with out gettin any more power out of it at a certain point. buddy explained this to me about his evo. so. its a compramise in lil lag less power, more lag alot more power. ur choice. i want to go full turbo once the kit comes out. lol by the way, wasted a GST eclipse today that had full exhaust. HAHA
Old 11-12-2006, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by bdwarr6
I would keep the blower and run a twin charge your super will accomidate for the turbo lag.

If you want power gt35r's i have heard are great

your going to want a front mount intercooler and a manifold the saab 93 has a manifold that will bolt upto the LSJ 2k5SS SC knows of a guy that makes good aftermarket manifolds for the saab 93 so I would shoot him a pm about it.

You also going to want to beef up your internals some and also may I ask what is your target horsepower?
Is power he said is like around 400+ its in his post, and is the saab manifold direct bolt for us SS/SC guys?? or is there modification needed? and if so, liek wut?
Old 11-12-2006, 09:07 PM

Im sure you know about the new TVS model coming out soon from Eaton,IM wating to see the numbers these things put out,If its well over 300. Ill be going that route otherwise, GTO for me.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:08 PM

Traitor... get a Pro Charger. Its a belt driven turbo.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:09 PM

Sorry i sorta overlooked the 400 part
Your going to need a
Cometic Headgasket
Diamond Pistons or Mahl (I would say mahl due to lower compression)
Arp or golden eagle head studs

yes the manifold is a direct bolt up the saab 9-3 runs the exact same engine with a turbo,

Now to bad06ss your going to need to draw a diagram of your engine and plan where your going to route your intercooler tubing where your going to mount it, and if you can get it in there with your bigger heat exchanger, you might also look to a side or top mount intercooler. then oil lines and a few other misc things

You should email hahn and ask whats included in their kit it will give you exactly what you need parts wise and then purchase it on your own.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:11 PM

You could also for best results take your stock header to a local machineshop or metal shop and ask them to turn it into a turbo manifold
Old 11-12-2006, 09:16 PM

i went to Hardcore motorsports jsut a few days ago, and asked them how much a custom turbo set up would be from them and they said like around 7000$. so im jsut gonna wait for a kit, or untill i can buy the parts i need. i could do it, i just need an intake manifold strong enought to hold high boost. and then a tune or a custom ecm made. im not to informed on what i need as of now, but if any one wants to give me and more info, its very appreciated. lol
Old 11-12-2006, 09:17 PM

Just wait for the Hahn Kit! It will be sick.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:19 PM

Thanks for the help so far, and I figured I'd get a "traitor" comment,lol. As mentioned, I'm thinking around ~400whp, and I DO plan to upgrade the internals for it. As for the intercooler, I'm actually thinking about just using the stock intercooler system, with the 2cnd heat exchanger, and just sourcing an adaptor to mate to the stock intake manifold. The GTP's have a turbo kit that just leaves the blower on there, and uses a block off plate, and they're getting great numbers from it! I'll have to sell some stuff off of my car, and will go with just a custom 3.5" exhaust. I do understand that with the power I'm wanting, there will be lag, oh well. Yes, I know about the TVS blowers coming out, but I still think that 400whp will be much easier reached via turbo. Keep the advice coming, thanks again guys.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Blown 4-banger
Hmmm. That might be interesting...
Old 11-12-2006, 09:23 PM

Why is everybody sweating over this TVS from Eaton, it is still a roots type blower, it just pushes out alittle more CFM, but it still wouldnt be near as good as a turbo....
Old 11-12-2006, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Blown 4-banger
how could we install the procharger, custom intake manifold right?? lol. everything customs these days, jeeze.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:31 PM

Centrifugal S/C dont make there full boost until the end of the RPM range, my buddy drives a mustang and he doesnt make his full boost until about 5k and they redline at 6k I think, same thing for when I saw a diff mustang on the dyno.........
Old 11-12-2006, 09:37 PM

what about a procharger and a super?

honestly i dont know jack about prochargers
Old 11-12-2006, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Killa SS
how could we install the procharger, custom intake manifold right?? lol. everything customs these days, jeeze.
This is a picture from the RL forums. A used an LSJ intake manifold and just put the throttle body right on the manifold. Then your turbo your car and not need a FMIC
Old 11-12-2006, 11:17 PM

Have any of the Redlines gone turbo yet, from the looks of that intake I would assume soo.....
Old 11-12-2006, 11:36 PM

Look at the Borg Warner Turbos... they have a certain turbo that is consturcted differently.. literally eliminated turbo lag and its on the level with BIG turbos

check out the www.evowned.com forums and look up borg warner... they'll tell you everything
Old 11-13-2006, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by Rangerondubz
Have any of the Redlines gone turbo yet, from the looks of that intake I would assume soo.....
No that manifold was actually for a turbo'd solstice.
Old 11-13-2006, 01:08 AM

Garrett GT2971R is perfect for minimal lag and 350-400whp. It can be bought at ATP turbo with various housings to support your needs. I contacted and confirmed that with ATP turbo. The SR20DET guys use this turbo as a stealth upgrade because it looks identical to the regular "Disco Potato."
Old 11-13-2006, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by 2K5SS/SC?
Garrett GT2971R is perfect for minimal lag and 350-400whp. It can be bought at ATP turbo with various housings to support your needs. I contacted and confirmed that with ATP turbo. The SR20DET guys use this turbo as a stealth upgrade because it looks identical to the regular "Disco Potato."
\

Just to be honest guys.. Just my opinion.. I don;t understand why you guys are going to turbos.. you all baught the SS/SC right.. so stayed supercharged.. if you want turbo go by an srt 4 or a honda.. .. I can see for the 2.2 guys.. and the 2.4s.. Just my opinion.. not throwing neg comments out..
Old 11-13-2006, 03:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Killa SS
well problem is that, one way or another, the size of a turbo, your gonna get really lil lag and not much power out of it or more lag and more power. everyone know the bigger the turbo, the more lag dut to thesize and pressure needed to get it spinning fast enough, but once it is, BOOM, power. well with a alil turbo u might have quick power with lil lag but your gonna just be spinning it with out gettin any more power out of it at a certain point. buddy explained this to me about his evo. so. its a compramise in lil lag less power, more lag alot more power. ur choice. i want to go full turbo once the kit comes out. lol by the way, wasted a GST eclipse today that had full exhaust. HAHA
I'm sorry but what you're describing is either not realistic or the person who is having that happen to him does not have a properly setup turbocharged system.

First and foremost...can we stop using this damn word... LAG!

I've come to find out that peoples interpretation of lag is purely opinion. The fact is, what you described as "boom, power" isn't realistic in most situations. Fact is, on a "realistic" turbocharged setup, the turbocharger is always spinning, even at idle. The thing is, it has to spin at a certain RPM to create X PSI.

The purpose of a good turbocharged setup is to have the most useable CFM throughout most of your powerband and not a small part of it. A very popular choice is a T3/T4 50 Trim turbocharger. This turbo is "bigger" but it is not something that will be something that you will see a huge delay in max psi. You SHOULD be able to spool this turbocharger to a realistic PSI amount in a good amount of time and have it support most of your RPM band. If you can reach max boost at 3000 RPMs, that'd be perfect because your redline is at 6500 or 7000 RPMs...even 6500 RPMs, that's 3500 RPMs of a strong power on an efficient compressor.

I just want people understand that Turbo lag is almost fiction if you aren't a complete idiot with your setup. The delay is all relative the amount of exhaust energy your engine is producing vs the size of turbine. The larger the turbine, the longer it will take to spin the mass (mass being the turbine).

Now to the original poster, like I said before, the T3/T4 50 Trim Turbocharger would be a good selection. It will be able to support your 400 HP perfectly fine. I'm not 100% sure on what they are rated at but it should be in that HP margin. If you are personally worried about "delay" of the turbocharger, you can do a number of things to improve your spool time:

1. Purchase that size but ball bearing. Those turbochargers spool very quickly.
2. Improve your valvetrain system. This could be done by purchasing a new profile camshaft and/or porting the exhaust ports on your cylinder head. If you do decide to port, you can also see if you can get your turbo manifolds ports to match up with the new size to make it more of an efficient exhaust flow (better flow of exhaust energy).
3. Get your turbo manifold coated. This will exhaust energy from leaving the manifold and going where you want that energy to go torwards...your turbine.

There are probably other ways but it's 2:11 AM CST and I'm tired & working lol.

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask.
Old 11-13-2006, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by 3ds138
\

Just to be honest guys.. Just my opinion.. I don;t understand why you guys are going to turbos.. you all baught the SS/SC right.. so stayed supercharged.. if you want turbo go by an srt 4 or a honda.. .. I can see for the 2.2 guys.. and the 2.4s.. Just my opinion.. not throwing neg comments out..
The answer is quite easy. The supercharger is only efficient to a certain amount of airflow. The easiest way to achieve more power/faster 1/4 mile is to twin or turbocharge.
Old 11-13-2006, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by NJHK
I'm sorry but what you're describing is either not realistic or the person who is having that happen to him does not have a properly setup turbocharged system.

First and foremost...can we stop using this damn word... LAG!

I've come to find out that peoples interpretation of lag is purely opinion. The fact is, what you described as "boom, power" isn't realistic in most situations. Fact is, on a "realistic" turbocharged setup, the turbocharger is always spinning, even at idle. The thing is, it has to spin at a certain RPM to create X PSI.

The purpose of a good turbocharged setup is to have the most useable CFM throughout most of your powerband and not a small part of it. A very popular choice is a T3/T4 50 Trim turbocharger. This turbo is "bigger" but it is not something that will be something that you will see a huge delay in max psi. You SHOULD be able to spool this turbocharger to a realistic PSI amount in a good amount of time and have it support most of your RPM band. If you can reach max boost at 3000 RPMs, that'd be perfect because your redline is at 6500 or 7000 RPMs...even 6500 RPMs, that's 3500 RPMs of a strong power on an efficient compressor.

I just want people understand that Turbo lag is almost fiction if you aren't a complete idiot with your setup. The delay is all relative the amount of exhaust energy your engine is producing vs the size of turbine. The larger the turbine, the longer it will take to spin the mass (mass being the turbine).

Now to the original poster, like I said before, the T3/T4 50 Trim Turbocharger would be a good selection. It will be able to support your 400 HP perfectly fine. I'm not 100% sure on what they are rated at but it should be in that HP margin. If you are personally worried about "delay" of the turbocharger, you can do a number of things to improve your spool time:

1. Purchase that size but ball bearing. Those turbochargers spool very quickly.
2. Improve your valvetrain system. This could be done by purchasing a new profile camshaft and/or porting the exhaust ports on your cylinder head. If you do decide to port, you can also see if you can get your turbo manifolds ports to match up with the new size to make it more of an efficient exhaust flow (better flow of exhaust energy).
3. Get your turbo manifold coated. This will exhaust energy from leaving the manifold and going where you want that energy to go torwards...your turbine.

There are probably other ways but it's 2:11 AM CST and I'm tired & working lol.

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask.
The guy that told me a bunch of stuff, i met him at the Drift comp at auto speed way a few months back, he had adjustable cams, intake full exhaust and 3"in DP and his turbo was spinning at its fullest to soon, it, was creating boost very close to idle, he told me he needed to get a bigger turbo because it spooled up to quickly.I thought it odd, but is that possible? But thats where i got my information.

Quick Reply: Turbo Swap Advice-Turbo Guru's Please Help....