Alcohol Injection Systems Alcohol Injection Systems is a Supporting Vendor

Questions About Water Methanol Alcohol Injection - Post Them Here

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 12:06 AM
AIS
Non Authorized / Non-Supporting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions About Water Methanol Alcohol Injection - Post Them Here

Alcohol Injection Systems, LLC would like to personally address and answer any questions members may have about the use and effects of water alcohol/methanol injection. We found many of the responses and posts here in this forum to not be completely accurate.

Let us know what your questions are so we can help better inform everyone about water alcohol/methanol injection and how to tune for it properly.

Have a question and want to speak to someone directly about water alcohol/methanol injection. Give us a call directly at 1.801.447.2559.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:55 PM

which option is better alcohol or methanol??? ill be tuning soon so let me know.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:19 AM
AIS

Originally Posted by Johnny B
which option is better alcohol or methanol??? ill be tuning soon so let me know.
Methanol is an alcohol. The word "Alcohol" is a generic term. There are many different types of alcohols available such as methanol, ethanol, isopropyl, etc.

Methanol is the preferred alcohol to use. Windshield wiper fluid rated for -32 degree below zero contains between 35-38% methanol depending on the brand. This is an affordable and easily accessible fluid for most and works great. If you add one bottle of HEET (12 oz. of 98.% pure methanol) to one gallon it will increase the methanol content by 10% giving you roughly a 50/50 miz of water and methanol.

We recommend a mix between 50/50 to 25/75 water methanol. We've made or best horsepower gains using a 25/75 water methanol mix.

When you inject water/alcohol the alcohol portion provides instant cooling (as it quickly evaporates), added fuel, increased octane (when used with pump gas) and burns as part of the combustion process while reducing combustion temperatures and EGT‘s. It should be noted that alcohol has a much lower latent heat of vaporization then water therefore it begins to evaporate instantly when injected into a hot air charge.

Water on the other hand has a very high latent heat of vaporization.

Definition of Latent Heat Of Vaporization: “latent heat” is the amount of energy in the form of heat released or absorbed by a substance during a change of phase. (i.e. solid, liquid, or gas), - also called a phase transition.

The energy (heat) required to turn water into a steam (to begin evaporating) is substantially higher then that of alcohol. When atomized properly water alone works well at cooling air charge temperatures. However, when compared to alcohol, testing has shown water does not have as great of a cooling effect on the air charge temperatures as does alcohol. When water does evaporate it turns to steam. This steam stabilizes and slows the combustion process acting as a anti-detonate (suppressing detonation) essentially making it an effective octane enhancer.

Together, water alcohol injection cools the intake air charge temperatures, reduces combustion chamber temperatures, thus cooling and protecting the top of the pistons and the top ring as well as lowering EGT's and cooling the exhaust valves.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:53 AM
AIS

Be sure to check our other posts for questions and answers
Old 11-30-2007, 06:03 AM

does this system put the injection before the supercharger or after? and if after then how?
Old 11-30-2007, 06:07 AM
Original Hayden Fanatic
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[off topic]

I noticed you guys are from Ohio... We have semi-annual meets in C-bus, look for the one in April we would love to have some of you guys come out.

[/off topic]
Old 11-30-2007, 12:17 PM
AIS

Originally Posted by HauSSchildt07
does this system put the injection before the supercharger or after? and if after then how?
We recommend installing the nozzle just before the throttle body. You will notice one of our customers placed the nozzle after the throttle body. It can also be done this way. When doing so, we recommend relocating the check valve from the back of the car to just behind the nozzle.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Originally Posted by REIGN SS
[off topic]

I noticed you guys are from Ohio... We have semi-annual meets in C-bus, look for the one in April we would love to have some of you guys come out.

[/off topic]
Sounds good. Is there any event s coming up before April?

Last edited by AIS; 11-30-2007 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-14-2007, 06:40 PM
AIS

Feel free to post your questions here or call us directly at 1.801.447.2559 for immediate technical support.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:47 PM
AIS

www.alcoholinjectionsystems.com
Old 01-03-2008, 01:55 PM

what does this do to the coating in the supercharger? how bad does it wear down?
Old 01-03-2008, 04:35 PM
AIS

Originally Posted by recklessactn
what does this do to the coating in the supercharger? how bad does it wear down?
The coating on the rotors holds up just fine when using a 50/50 mix. When using pure methanol it will slowly remove this coating. Even with the coating completlelty removed we have not scene performance effected much.

For example many of our Corvette customer with the Magnason superchargers run pure methanol as many of the Corvette shops who build these cars also prefer it as well. When you pull the supercharger apart the rotors are spotless with all of the coating removed. Kenne Bell, another supercharger manufacture, builds all of their superchargers without coatings on the rotors just to inform you.

Let us know if you have any other questions.
Old 01-05-2008, 08:53 PM

apart of the lots of benefits it gives, how safe is for the motor? can it damage it? if it does what does it?
Old 01-07-2008, 11:02 AM
AIS

Originally Posted by Gabi
apart of the lots of benefits it gives, how safe is for the motor? can it damage it? if it does what does it?
No, our water methanol injection system will not damage the motor. It's important to understand we are only injecting a very fine controlled mist of water methanol into the intake of the supercharger. Much of this mist immediately vaporizes as it hits the rotors of the supercharger as it passes through it. Understandably we see the concern many have initially when they first hear about injecting water into their engine.

Most of our customers go through a tank (1.5 gallon) of water methanol in 3-4 weeks. This should help give you a better understanding of how much fluid is used.

With the use of a water methanol injection system we have actaully reduced engine failures of supercharged and turbocharged engines. To understand more why click on the link below.

http://www.alcoholinjectionsystems.c...icle_info.html

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:25 PM

so mount the nozzle on the intake ur saying

is it only recommened for racing or ok for dailly driving to

Last edited by cooljake73; 01-22-2008 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-22-2008, 08:28 PM

its the best place to mount it reguardless of driving...if ur racing u might spray after the blower also but not recommended for dd...

i have a question...whos the best water/meth company?!? lol u are!!! haha cheesey plug for u rodney
Old 01-22-2008, 09:01 PM

so basically if i mount it on the intake im fine
Old 01-22-2008, 09:06 PM

yea thats where mine is
Old 01-22-2008, 10:28 PM

what do you use in ur mixture.....the red heet bottle or windshield fluid
Old 01-23-2008, 02:05 AM

boost juice is one alot of people use
Old 01-23-2008, 02:13 AM

do you guys offer a set up like my buddys where the meth does not kick on till a certian psi...cause my daily driving is alot of stop and go...
Old 01-23-2008, 06:09 PM

I run pure methanol
Old 01-23-2008, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by SlowBalt_06
do you guys offer a set up like my buddys where the meth does not kick on till a certian psi...cause my daily driving is alot of stop and go...
i like that idea, save mix and money
Old 01-23-2008, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by SlowBalt_06
thats what most kits do..they either kick in a WOT or the boost level u have it set for. the best thing about AIS is there progressive controller..its the best thing offered on the market! u can have ur meth set at min pressure at say 5 psi than by 12 psi its at max and it will slowly rise..no other kit offers that so u have to set it for like 13-14 psi so u dont dump meth into ur engine all the time...

AIS FTMFW
Old 01-23-2008, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Raven SS
thats what most kits do..they either kick in a WOT or the boost level u have it set for. the best thing about AIS is there progressive controller..its the best thing offered on the market! u can have ur meth set at min pressure at say 5 psi than by 12 psi its at max and it will slowly rise..no other kit offers that so u have to set it for like 13-14 psi so u dont dump meth into ur engine all the time...

AIS FTMFW
i like i like, i wanna get a water/meth kit come this spring, think i know what one im getting
Old 01-23-2008, 07:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Raven SS

AIS FTMFW
its tuned through the maf-t, snow performance uses the same technology.

i should add that through testing, the lsj reacts the best to a wide open spray, instead of a raped rate. When i was running mine before i sold the redline, with a 2.6 full exhaust intake 60's tuned and running 80/20 meth water on a 225 ml jet i hit 294 whp on the heaton!

I had it tuned to begin spraying roughly around 11 psi.

Quick Reply: Questions About Water Methanol Alcohol Injection - Post Them Here