Appearance Body Kits, Hoods, Wheels, Spoilers, Interiors

2 Quick HID Questions *gasp*

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 01:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 Quick HID Questions *gasp*

Hey guys. Few quick questions about *gasp* HID's..

These really only pertain to those of you who HAVE them..

1. Have you had any issues with them down the road? Like any blown fuses, blown harnesses..blown anything? lol. Anything that kinda set you back a bit to get it fixed? And how long should a typical kit really last you for?

2. What kind did you get? Did you get the el-cheap-o? Or did you get the 200 dollar package? You see some kits for like 60 shipped and others for 250 shipped. I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for, but damn. 200 extra dollars?

3. How many of you have REALLY gotten harrassed for them? Aside from alot of flicked high-beams, have the po-po ever gotten pissed about them?

4. And how many kits really ARE plug-n-play? I don't want to do ANY cutting/drilling/etc. Just plug-n-play.

Thanks!

(sorry, 4..not 2. haha)
Old 05-14-2008, 01:34 AM
Original Hayden Fanatic
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
...1.) don't put HID's in stock housings!

1.) I blew a ballast (my fault), but mine have a 3yr warranty & the seller sent me a replacement ASAP. The parts themselves aren't really that expensive, $40 for each ballast + $40 for each bulb if something was to blow

2.) Mine were $136 shipped, and I haven't had any issues

3.) No, mine are properly aimed and in projectors

4.) Yes, the kit I purchased was P&P, all I had to do was mount the ballasts and connect the wires
Old 05-14-2008, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by averagewhiteboy

1. Have you had any issues with them down the road? Like any blown fuses, blown harnesses..blown anything? lol. Anything that kinda set you back a bit to get it fixed? And how long should a typical kit really last you for?

2. What kind did you get? Did you get the el-cheap-o? Or did you get the 200 dollar package? You see some kits for like 60 shipped and others for 250 shipped. I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for, but damn. 200 extra dollars?

3. How many of you have REALLY gotten harrassed for them? Aside from alot of flicked high-beams, have the po-po ever gotten pissed about them?

4. And how many kits really ARE plug-n-play? I don't want to do ANY cutting/drilling/etc. Just plug-n-play.

Thanks!

(sorry, 4..not 2. haha)
question 1 the only problem i had with my 1st hid kit was water getting in the ballast but that was my problem for not mounting them somewhere good just got lazy n left em hanging in my bumper lmao no hardness problems nor blown fuses

question 2 xenons i payed 400ish for mine just becouse i got the hi n low beam kit

question3 i only get harrassed for mine cuz i re-aimd my headlights when i had my 1st set of hids that were only the hi beam kit an never got around 2 putting them back 2 the stock setting but when i did get pulld over just had 2 show the cop that those were my low beams an theyll let u go depending on the cop n his mood

question 4 all 3 of my hid kits were plug n play from my 1st hi beam kit 2 the hi n low beam kit even the 1s for my fogs were plug n play with no issues

Originally Posted by REIGN SS
...1.) don't put HID's in stock housings!
y not whats the big deal bout that??

Last edited by HidKidSS; 05-14-2008 at 01:45 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-15-2008, 04:14 PM

Thanks!

(sorry, 4..not 2. haha)
1. No issues so far, they are supposed to last at least 2,500 hours, 10 times longer then normal bulbs. Make sure you retrofit your headlights or get projectors. Otherwise you'll blind people and get pulled over.
2. Got mine off ebay, $70 a kit shipped, bought 2, one for headlights, other for foglights. Both work great, I'll give you the seller if you want. I know others from here have bought off him too. funny thing is I saw a performance shop in my town selling the same sets, for $340 a set. Exactly the same. lmao
3.I have mine in projectors, so there is a cut-off meaning no nasty glare. Just good comments, I have the 10ks and my car is blue, so people think it looks cool. People like to stare as you drive by though lol
4. Plug and play, just have to mount the ballast
Good Luck, hope that helped a little.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:20 PM

only problem i have is every now and then my right HID wont ignite, i just flick them off and on and there fine.

u will be forever flamed if u put HIDs in reflectors, not to mention ur putting other people on the road at risk,
Old 05-15-2008, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by originaladrian
only problem i have is every now and then my right HID wont ignite, i just flick them off and on and there fine.

u will be forever flamed if u put HIDs in reflectors, not to mention ur putting other people on the road at risk,
time for a new ballast my old hid kit did that due 2 water getting in the plugs...try an get that taken care of asap before you blow the bulb along with the ballast
Old 05-15-2008, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by HidKidSS
time for a new ballast my old hid kit did that due 2 water getting in the plugs...try an get that taken care of asap before you blow the bulb along with the ballast
DOH!!!! damnnn, where can i pick up a single ballast?
Old 05-15-2008, 06:26 PM

What was the name of that seller Gotenks? I am thinking of picking up a set of these for my projectors.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:38 PM

call or email the company that sold you the hid kit...the ballast are coverd under warranty all youll need to do is pay for shipping depending on where its coming from i know mine came from china or japan some **** like that lol an i had to pay 40buckz for it but mine was an ultra slim ballast
Old 05-15-2008, 11:46 PM

Nothing at all.. but **** they were a bitch to adjust the cutoff.

I went for the $200 set.. got em in a GB for 125, the guy never shipped em and I bitched and bitched and finally he sent em and refunded my money... I only had to pay shipping. The projectors were like... 150 or so? I forget.

Not once. I've done left turns and **** in front of the police numerous times. No highbeams flashed at me either. Don't be a jerk and put em in the stock headlights.

None of them are truly "plug and play"... it should be called splice and play heh. It's simple though. Worst comes to worst all you need is a few bell connectors, electrical tape, and a crimping tool from any electrical dept... like 15 bucks.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:48 PM
Original Hayden Fanatic
Platinum Member

we have a new vendor that sells HID's, 3B Spec - http://www.3bspec.com/
Old 05-15-2008, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Silv3r
None of them are truly "plug and play"... it should be called splice and play heh. It's simple though. Worst comes to worst all you need is a few bell connectors, electrical tape, and a crimping tool from any electrical dept... like 15 bucks.
what kits do u buy bro lol ive ownd 3 hid kits an all of them are 100% plug an play
from the single beam kit i sold then the bi xenon kit i have in now n the fogs are also hids an i never had 2 splice any of those kits
are you sure your buying the right ones lol??
Old 05-16-2008, 03:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by HidKidSS
what kits do u buy bro lol ive ownd 3 hid kits an all of them are 100% plug an play
from the single beam kit i sold then the bi xenon kit i have in now n the fogs are also hids an i never had 2 splice any of those kits
are you sure your buying the right ones lol??
same...all mine are plug and play....

the only problem i had was the right bulb wouldnt light....found out the problem was a defective wiing harness in my projector from CA....they wouldnt send me a replacement either....but i got over it...i still buy from them. As far as the HIDs themselves? No problems or complaints whatsoever.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:29 AM

flashplus was the seller I got them from
Old 05-16-2008, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by REIGN SS
we have a new vendor that sells HID's, 3B Spec - http://www.3bspec.com/
thats perfect there really decently priced. im first going to see if the ebay vendor can help me if not then ill be buying one from them.

its starting to happen more often now. used to be maybe 1/25 times my right headlight wouldnt ignit, now its almost half the time.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:51 AM

I paid about $200 per kit and mine are spectacular. I have a kit in the low beam projectors and another kit in the high beam reflectors (reflectors are fine for highs because your highs are not on when following traffic or opposing traffic). As everyone else said, DO NOT put HIDs in the stock lights. It's dangerous, inconsiderate, and might just result in problems with police or inspections.

Do it right: use projectors. I was one of the first to fit HIDs in both the first style projector headlights and in the first CCFL halo headlights. It's not that difficult to do and you'll be VERY happy.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:34 PM

Do the projectors have 2 H1 bulbs 1 for low and 1 for high? was there any special relay needed to get both H1 bulbs to kick on when highs were on? i am going to buy projectors with 2 sets of H1 6000k HIDs and i want to make sure i dont have to butcher any thing to get them working. I'm also gonan get a relay harness for the hids so they are powered directly off the battery. Any tips?
Old 05-21-2008, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by typo
Do the projectors have 2 H1 bulbs 1 for low and 1 for high? was there any special relay needed to get both H1 bulbs to kick on when highs were on? i am going to buy projectors with 2 sets of H1 6000k HIDs and i want to make sure i dont have to butcher any thing to get them working. I'm also gonan get a relay harness for the hids so they are powered directly off the battery. Any tips?
Yes, you need two kits if you want both HID highs and HID lows in the projector lights. Only the low beams are projectors. The high beams are reflectors, but both are still H1 bulbs.

You won't have to butcher anything.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:30 PM

What housing should you use if not stock??
Old 05-21-2008, 05:34 PM

i put mine in projectors even though they tell you on light itself not to do it.. the only issue i had was the clearcoat on the lights peeled off becuase the lights were so hot.. other than that love them and wont have a car witohut hids ever again..
Old 05-21-2008, 09:15 PM

Does anyone have HID's in their foglights? I have a couple questions. Heres my thread.

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/appearance-48/questions-regarding-hids-foglight-projectors-113228/
Old 05-22-2008, 12:00 AM

That's really shitty because I was gonna go HID's all around, but I don't know.. Kinda seems lke WAY too big of a damn hassle.. lol

Just a question though.. People always say to not put HID's into normal housings right? So then why do MANY cars come with them factory? The newer Prius does, at least one version of the Navigator does, as I believe the Escalade does as well, the late-90's style TL, etc. All have HID's in non-projector housings. Am I missing something? I get more of a glare from ******* guys in huge trucks with standard bulbs in their lights than guys with lowered cars with HID's in standard housings. So I don't quite see the issue thus far..?

* grabs flame suit and zips it up past head *
Old 05-22-2008, 12:04 AM

That's really shitty because I was gonna go HID's all around, but I don't know.. Kinda seems lke WAY too big of a damn hassle.. lol

Just a question though.. People always say to not put HID's into normal housings right? So then why do MANY cars come with them factory? The newer Prius does, at least one version of the Navigator does, as I believe the Escalade does as well, the late-90's style TL, etc. All have HID's in non-projector housings. Am I missing something? I get more of a glare from ******* guys in huge trucks with standard bulbs in their lights than guys with lowered cars with HID's in standard housings. So I don't quite see the issue thus far..?

* grabs flame suit and zips it up past head *
i believe they are set 2 a temp that during warm up they pass that temp but they cool down 2 the right kal temp that ''shouldnt'' bother ppl
i might be wrong but thats what ive been hearing for awhile
Old 05-22-2008, 12:06 AM
Original Hayden Fanatic
Platinum Member

There are special designed reflective housings that are meant for HID's, but 95% of cars that come with factory HID's have projectors and not reflective housings.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:52 AM

I don't know about aftermarket HID's, but about 99% of the factory ones I drive do that pre-temp thing. They'll start off REALLY blue, then get white after a few seconds. It's pretty cool..

On a side note.. If you don't want to go HID's, but still want the nice white-ish/blue look, what bulbs would you get (for both 9007 AND H11..must be the same brand). Most companies don't make H11's.. I had all matching Luminics in mine, but the one fog harness blew and never put in new ones since. I'm running stock fogs (but with the housing, they look pretty white), and Silverstars in the 9007's. It's killing me. The Luminics looked INCREDIBLE, but I can't afford to go buy like 50 dollars in bulbs and the damn wires blow again..

Quick Reply: 2 Quick HID Questions *gasp*