Appearance Body Kits, Hoods, Wheels, Spoilers, Interiors

Body Repair Guru's help Please

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 10:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Body Repair Guru's help Please

I bought sides skirts and went to sand them today and found that at the end of one there is a spot where I think its the Gel Coat is cracked and you can see fiberglass. The fiberglass is not cracked at all but the get coat is chipped and I need to fix it so the body shop can paint the side skirts. Does anyone know how to fix this so I can sand it and have it painted???

thanks heres a link to pics

Pictures by blackmer826 - Photobucket
Old 07-23-2011, 11:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a former body & fender combo man/auto painter, you should just take it to the shop you choose AS IT IS and let them Fix it Correctly for you as part of having them painted.

Thats a super easy and quick fix for the shop. You on the otherhand will need to buy all the stuff needed to do it right and by that time they would be done with it.

Plus then any problems after the fact should be covered by a legit shops warranty. You do the sanding and try fixing it yourself, you'll get Zero warranty if it starts chipping or peeling later on.

If you attempt it yourself, the very first thing you need to do, is get Automotive Wax & Grease Remover and wipe it down a few times with Clean rags. Wipe it on wet, use a Clean rag to wipe it off dry, then repeat with all new clean rags.

If you just start sanding on it, any wax or grease will get sanded down into the sanded surface and then you can get whats called "fisheyes" in your paint.