Appearance Body Kits, Hoods, Wheels, Spoilers, Interiors

Gestapo007's Paint Job Thread: Project Pumpkin

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
meh at least youre not like some people who primer their car and leave it like that for years haha
Old 04-04-2010, 08:46 PM

haha, I was referring to driving a Cobalt, but living with the rents can go that way too.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by mofofernando
meh at least youre not like some people who primer their car and leave it like that for years haha
or like the ones who primer their bumpers and have cracked body kits and leave it like that forever.

cant wait to see the finished product, i think its going to look awesome and i give you props for taking the time to do it right.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:19 PM

Thanks guys. Im exited to start working on it again this week. I pick up the paint tommorow, and then ill do a spray out so i can see exactly what the color will look like, thatll be cool
Old 04-04-2010, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by ls1fbody

Dude, i keep thinking there is a huge ******* spider crawling across your trunk. I need to start drinking...
AHAHAHA ME TOO... i never wanted to say anything though.. didn't want anyone to think i was crazy...
Old 04-05-2010, 12:02 AM

whats wrong with being crazy
Old 04-05-2010, 08:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I never noticed it, but now...everytime I see that pic...its the first thing I look at,
Old 04-05-2010, 03:19 PM

Dont worry guys i stepped on it.

PICKED UP MATERIALS TODAY!

But theres a little question I have for any1 who may know ill ask after i show the pics:

ok ill break it down and what im doing with it for people who dont know:

- 3 Quarts of Coarse Metallic silver base coat. Everything but the hood roof and trunk will get sprayed coarse metallic silver
- 2 Qt of Black basecoat for the Hood roof and trunk
- Reducer for all the basecoat
- 2 1/2 pt Manderin Candy Containers. Mix this with the clear and spray it over the silver to turn it orange like a nighshade effect kinda.
- And some Production grade UPOL Clearcoat and Hardner for it. Decent affordable clearcoat. One of the better clears Upol makes and the person at the paint store said they have heard only good things about this clear thats in my price range.
- SEM Medium black Colorcoat to spray my headliner and sunvisors etc. with. This is OEM approved fabric "dye" opposed to the Duplicolor fabric "paint" which makes it all crunchy and crusty. This stuff body shops use alot for headliners if they cant get one for a car that matches the color of the old one etc, they will spray it with this. You actually kinda spray it and then rub it in. They say it works really well for about any interior painting you gotta do. 11.98 a can, id recommend this stuff if your ever gonna be doing interior paint

Now these are materials that are within my price range that will give me the look I want. Yes theres much more expensive materials you can get, Theres clearcoats alone that cost more then all of my materials put together. Same thing with basecoats that cost more then all of this put together. But This materials will work just perfect for what I wanna do. If I had some more money I would love to go Diamont, but it just wasnt in the cards for me financially right now. Its mid grade stuff. Not top of the line everything, not painting a 60k Benz. Feel me? Regardless itll look fantastic.

Now question I have for any autobody/painters we have on here.

Im going to be doing the Evo mod and doing the grill bar and etc. black. Because of this it puts me in a bit of a tricky taping and spraying situation since im using candy clear and everything. I wanna use the materials I got, spray the lip and grills etc. black with silver pearl, let them flash, tape them up, then spray the silver base and the candy clear, untape the black and then clear over the entire front bumper another 2 coats. Sean, my teacher, recommends I get Clear basecoat and instead of spraying the candy in the clear, spray it in a clear basecoat and then just clear over the whole car. This would be easier but would now cause me to throw another 120 bucks at a gallon of mixing clear. What do you all recommend would be the best way to do this?
Old 04-05-2010, 03:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm so excited to see the finish!!!!
Old 04-05-2010, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Gestapo007

Im going to be doing the Evo mod and doing the grill bar and etc. black. Because of this it puts me in a bit of a tricky taping and spraying situation since im using candy clear and everything. I wanna use the materials I got, spray the lip and grills etc. black with silver pearl, let them flash, tape them up, then spray the silver base and the candy clear, untape the black and then clear over the entire front bumper another 2 coats. Sean, my teacher, recommends I get Clear basecoat and instead of spraying the candy in the clear, spray it in a clear basecoat and then just clear over the whole car. This would be easier but would now cause me to throw another 120 bucks at a gallon of mixing clear. What do you all recommend would be the best way to do this?
Personally, knowing what I know of painting, which is little to nothing, I would do it the way your teacher said. Its only $120 to do it the recommended way, then you won't have to worry about any after effects. Not to mention, it would be easier, and I think it would give it a much richer, deeper look, since there will be a nice thick coat of clears on it. And, if it got scratched, it would not get to the color coat as easily.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:14 PM

Well disregard that quistion paint store just called me with a price on SEM clear base coat that is made specifically for mixing with SEM candy concentrates and its a little over $80 a gallon. So I went ahead and ordered a gallon of it and that will make things much easier to spray. Plus they said they should have it in stock so I can pick it up tomorrow. But that will make things MUCH easier hopefully, since basecoat gets layed down dry. You just spray it and get it even, clear has to be sprayed wet and how you want it to look, so if you dye clear a color and you lets say run it in a spot, that spot will have a real dark drip in it. yea you can wetsand it but youd have to get it to the perfect depth to get it to be the same color as the surroundings, get it? Its tougher on a big surface like a car cause theres alot of spots and angles you gotta get into. Now I just spray basecoat, then candy basecoat, then just clear over the whole thing like any other paintjob. Then if theres a run or dry spot you just wetsand/buff it out and wammo you got a sheet of sexy orange glass looking you in the face. This makes me feel better
Old 04-05-2010, 04:20 PM

Yeah, that sounds much easier, and like the better option anyway.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:26 PM

sub'd
Old 04-05-2010, 06:21 PM
East Coast Cobalts

Im going to be doing the Evo mod and doing the grill bar and etc. black. Because of this it puts me in a bit of a tricky taping and spraying situation since im using candy clear and everything. I wanna use the materials I got, spray the lip and grills etc. black with silver pearl, let them flash, tape them up, then spray the silver base and the candy clear, untape the black and then clear over the entire front bumper another 2 coats. Sean, my teacher, recommends I get Clear basecoat and instead of spraying the candy in the clear, spray it in a clear basecoat and then just clear over the whole car. This would be easier but would now cause me to throw another 120 bucks at a gallon of mixing clear. What do you all recommend would be the best way to do this?[/QUOTE]

Evo Mod is PLAYED out Kevin!
Old 04-05-2010, 06:56 PM

thats why he should do the kia forte mod haha
Old 04-05-2010, 07:03 PM
Banned

lol gestapoo you beat me to the punch. i just got off work and was reading up on your question. yeah clear base is the way to go especially leaving the pearl in it. you would run into all sorts of problems clearing your evo mod and then having to reclear it it with the candy clear. ive found clear base to be awesome for numerous things such as when i was on the standox system i actually used clear base with color blends aswell before clearing. helped everything transition for a really clean blend.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Boosted_Cobalt09
lol gestapoo you beat me to the punch. i just got off work and was reading up on your question. yeah clear base is the way to go especially leaving the pearl in it. you would run into all sorts of problems clearing your evo mod and then having to reclear it it with the candy clear. ive found clear base to be awesome for numerous things such as when i was on the standox system i actually used clear base with color blends aswell before clearing. helped everything transition for a really clean blend.
I love you.

^i feel the shortness and the period really adds to that statement. Hits home

But seriously thanks for the tip and im glad im going this way after i think about it. And we usually spray clear base on metallic blends to fill in the sanding scratches so the metallics dont settle in there and **** up the flop

Originally Posted by TwiztedCo

Evo Mod is PLAYED out Kevin!
It may be, but I think it adds so much to the front end that it should be stock. When i look at pictures of my car before I did it to after, theres no question. I wouldnt have a cobalt without one ever again. I just really like the black on the inside of the intercooler piece, the front lip, and the grill bar, and the bowtie, with the color matched trim around the bowtie like I had it. I think it looks the best that way.

Usually the haters of the Evo mod are people with black cobalts who are jelouse that cant do it

exactly!

Last edited by Gestapo007; 04-05-2010 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-05-2010, 08:44 PM
Banned

yep we use colorless base aswell for that too. i use it on everything i possibly can. by the way you were asking about my work awhile back. still having camera issues but i managed to borrow my sisters to get some pics of my project. go in the forced induction section gestapoo and check out my build thread. you might be interested to see a few things in there.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:48 PM

i clicked find posts by you and im stalking my way into it now
Old 04-05-2010, 08:55 PM
East Coast Cobalts

Haha i like that...

Your doing a total paint job...time to do something original is all i am saying. Anyone can rattle can that evo mod.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by TwiztedCo
Haha i like that...

Your doing a total paint job...time to do something original is all i am saying. Anyone can rattle can that evo mod.
candy orange and metallic black and a custom fiberglass spoiler insnt original enough? Plus the one of a kind eye lids I have. Color matched candy calipers. Color matched rims. **** man, what do you want from me!
Old 04-05-2010, 08:59 PM
Banned

hense why he wants to do pearls in the black and clear over it for a glossy finish not the cheap rattle can look
Old 04-05-2010, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Boosted_Cobalt09
yep we use colorless base aswell for that too. i use it on everything i possibly can. by the way you were asking about my work awhile back. still having camera issues but i managed to borrow my sisters to get some pics of my project. go in the forced induction section gestapoo and check out my build thread. you might be interested to see a few things in there.
hey man you got any tips on that headliner? Looks like your doing your interior the right way. Im going to be blacking it out like you. I got all my pillars already black, you can kinda seem them in this pic:

Its just the headliner and buttons and switches and **** i gotta black out. How does the damn sunroof slider come out?
Old 04-05-2010, 09:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^^ Where did you get the dash pod from, looks nice!
Old 04-05-2010, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Gestapo007
candy orange and metallic black and a custom fiberglass spoiler insnt original enough? Plus the one of a kind eye lids I have. Color matched candy calipers. Color matched rims. **** man, what do you want from me!
Well, I want candy pink from you. I will NOT respect you til you do that.

Quick Reply: Gestapo007's Paint Job Thread: Project Pumpkin