Appearance Body Kits, Hoods, Wheels, Spoilers, Interiors

Headlight help

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headlight help

Im sure this has been discussed extensively on this sight but i didnt find exactly what i was looking for in the search.

I just purchased a 2010 Cobalt. I plan to keep everything stock but would really like to upgrade the headlights.

I was thinking about doing an HID conversion with projector headlights. I am thinking in the 4-5000k range to get a nice white LED type light. I want to do the projectors so i dont get hassled by police much, for the black headlight, and to not blind everyone i pass lol. I dont want the Halo lights on the projectors. But i do want a high and a low beam. I also dont want to cut any wires from the factory harness.

Who makes a quality projector and HID kit? Do i need a realy of some kind for the set up? Is there anything else to conciter or worry about with this conversion? I would rather pay more money for a quality part as the car is brand new and these will be in the car for a long time but also dont want to kill the bank.

Thanks for any help you guys can give me.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:53 PM

not sure but ur gunna wanna go with retro fit headlights, bascially a stock cobalt headlight with a projector, not sure if its dual or just single as in high and low beam or just low beam, for pure with its 6000k 4-5000 is still gunna have a yellow tinge to it, pretty much kits these days are mostly plug and play, so just unplug ur headlight, and mount the ballast for the HID and then plug in the new headlight, pretty simple, no relay needed
Old 09-29-2010, 05:48 PM

if u dont want to spend a bunch of money and go with a quality retrofit then gen 4's r the way to go. they're basically plug and play but a relay is definitely recommended. also pull the drl fuse.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:37 PM

when you say retrofit, im assuming that there was an option for projector headlights and hids on cobalts? If so what would it entail to convert to that set up? and would that be the best way to go?

When you say Gen 4`s what does that mean?
Old 09-30-2010, 08:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cobalts never came with projectors or HIDs, what retrofit refers to is taking apart the stock lights and mounting projector lights from a different vehicle inside them. They cost a lot because it's all custom work, so you gotta pay someone for their labor plus all the parts. The cheaper route is just buying a set of aftermarket projectors. Gen 4 refers to the fact that there are four different versions of aftermarket lights available for Cobalts, with "gen 4" being the newest ones. These can be seen here: Click
Old 09-30-2010, 09:22 AM

Thanks for the reply! Im thinkin of getting those ge againn 4s and doing the hid. What are a good brands? Once again I want quality parts because its a brand new car with under 2000 miles, I don't want to be burning up headlight housings or wiring. Who sells the best kit with a relay and everything I need.

Also what is the reasoning behind pulling the fuse?
Old 10-01-2010, 09:27 AM

Has anyone used the buyhids.com retrofit headlight kit and relay?i was looking at it and it seems like a good kit but would like to hear from someone that has used the kit or even any of the individual parts that make up the kits
Old 10-01-2010, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by NHRA1877
Has anyone used the buyhids.com retrofit headlight kit and relay?i was looking at it and it seems like a good kit but would like to hear from someone that has used the kit or even any of the individual parts that make up the kits
iboost used the same kit from 3b specialties. he said its the same kit that buyhid's has. ask him about it. he may even chime in on this thread.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:50 AM

This is the kit I have. Simple to use and the people are great help...

Retros:
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/supp...up-buy-224593/

Help for Retros:
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/buyh...upport-226339/
Old 10-01-2010, 09:57 AM

i have the gen 4 projectors and they look/work great. i just ordered some hids from buyhids the other night.

I highly recomend the gen 4s

I'm like you, i didn't want halos or leds or anything...and the gen 4s have a seperate bulb for high and low beam
Old 10-01-2010, 11:28 AM

Yea I love my gen4s too. I used to have gen3s but only because they looked the best out of all three gens, even though they had the LEDs and halos. As soon as the gen4s came out I jumped ship. No regrets.

Old 10-03-2010, 10:14 PM

thanks a ton so far guys.

iboost,
Those look like the same ones in the buyhids retro kit. I like that the high and low beam are one bulb. How do you like the brightness of them and have you had any problems with them? did you use a relay when you installed them?

With the gen 4s, there is the high and the low beam, how exactly does that work? do you use a halogen for the high beam and the hid for the low beam?

The main reason for this is not really for looks, but i want the brightest headlights i can get to aide with all the deer and back roads we have around me.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:52 PM
Former Vendor

iboost,
Those look like the same ones in the buyhids retro kit. I like that the high and low beam are one bulb. How do you like the brightness of them and have you had any problems with them? did you use a relay when you installed them?

With the gen 4s, there is the high and the low beam, how exactly does that work? do you use a halogen for the high beam and the hid for the low beam?

The main reason for this is not really for looks, but i want the brightest headlights i can get to aide with all the deer and back roads we have around me.
The gen 4's have a wiring harness on them that brings both low and high beam bulbs back to the factory harness. Most people will use an HID on the low beam only and leave the halogen bulb in for the high beam. Now the fun part about the 9007 wiring is that the low beam filament gets turned off when the high beams turn on. You don't notice it on 9007 halogen bulbs, but you will notice on just about every projector headlight; the low beam will turn off and the high beam turns on. It's just how it is.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:16 AM

retrofits or Gen 4's. Gen 4's have no halo's, but lenses WILL stress crack over time. Since this is a piece you are gonna put on ur new car your best bet is to go with a set of Retrofits. Theyll cost ya, but theyll last alot longer and fit like OEM lights since they are. Just have to find some1 to build you a set.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:40 AM

iboost,

I haven't hooked them up or anything yet, cause I was having an issue with a harness from 3bspecs. But from what everyone else says they are real good. And there don't seem to be many problems.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Gestapo007
Gen 4's have no halo's, but lenses WILL stress crack over time
I haven't had any issues with mine yet. They have been on my car for about 2 1/2 months and I keep the drl's on and still no issues with the provided bulbs. I just ordered hids and I hope things keep working ok