Appearance Body Kits, Hoods, Wheels, Spoilers, Interiors

Headlight Lens Removal Question..

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headlight Lens Removal Question..

Hey guys..

Following this thread:

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/deleted-threads-89/painting-your-headlights-detailed-w-pictures-64144/

..it says you can pull apart the headlight using either a hair dryer or an oven. All I want to do is remove the outer lens. My side marker reflector popped out of my eBay blackouts. I just want to pop it back in.

1) I'm just wondering about the best way to do this for what I'm doing. Oven or hair dryer? In the oven, would'nt it smell..? haha

2) I'm also worried about the re-sealing and making sure there will be no moisture in there. What's the best stuff to use to re-seal? Or as long as you don't remove the old glue, can you just re-use it? Just heat it back up and stick it back on..?

3) I also want to actually GLUE the reflectors in place in both headlights. What would a good high-temperature glue be?

If you go the oven route, it says about 20 minutes to get the sealant soft enough to pull it apart. So you're looking at like 40 for both, plus probably 20 go re-attach the reflectors and to glue them back in. And then you just re-use or put on extra sealant (question 2). So you're looking at like an hour and a half for just removing the lenses long enough to glue the reflectors in place, right?

Just out of random questioning, do your headlights heat up the housing enough to the point of being able to remove the lens cover just by running them? Doubt it, but figured I'd ask. lol.

Thanks!!
Old 04-05-2009, 12:18 PM

no they don't heat up enough themselves to be able to pull apart.

oven trick works, did it many times on our lights.

Just use some general high temp sealant to seal it, try to get all the old sealant off and make sure you put new sealant EVERYWHERE because a small little hole will cause condensation

also, dont re-use old sealant, after pulling the lens off you will understand why.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:54 PM

So any sealant will work, use the oven, and thus it'll likely take far longer, correct? lol