Appearance Body Kits, Hoods, Wheels, Spoilers, Interiors

House of Kolor..

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
House of Kolor..

Anyone here know how much roughly a good House of Kolor paint job would be. Say a Pearlescent paint? For my next car (most likely the cobalt) I want a Pearlescent Green color, but I have no idea how much the painting of your car costs. I know that a good stock paint job could be around two thousand or more, but how much more for certain paints? Thanks
Old 12-13-2004, 10:45 PM
Site Founder

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you want a top of the line paint job, with the engine bay, door jams, trunk, etc done, you are looking at $10K. no joke

If you paint your entire car for $2,000 it is most likely crap! I cannot stand a car that is painted without disassembly. You see the old paint everywhere (doors, trunk, engine, around the window seals if you push on them). That is truly depressing.
Old 12-13-2004, 11:13 PM

O alright thanks, yea i figured with dissassembly and all that its quite hefty. I believe shops will do the "2000" dollar one for Stock paints, and a "quicker" job per se. I suppose top of the line will have to wait
Old 12-16-2004, 02:27 PM

When I get my Probe repainted, it's going to be the full deal. There's even this newer process I'm considering. Forget what it's called, but essentially you dismantle the main portions of the car...take them, then dip then into 2-3 solutions. One to strip paint and rust..one to seal..then some primer deal to ready the car for paint. After that, the paint is applied..and presto. Of course, that'd add even more to the bill..but it's something I ran across when I was working on my '68 GTO project a while back.
Old 01-14-2005, 11:39 PM

were can you get a paint job for a reasonable price??
Old 02-04-2005, 07:05 PM

SilverCSS, do they galvanize parts by any chance? I hear a bit of zinc does wonders to prevent rust.
Old 02-04-2005, 11:15 PM

When we looked into the House of Kolor paint it was around 800-1k for materials alone. Also be advised that some of thier paints have a tendacy to fade very fast. There is a term for it, I cannot remember off hand. This is not a lack of quality or anything, rather the paint is made for cars that see very little sunlight aka show cars. They will be upfront and tell you this when you buy it. The guy told me that he has seen cars painted with those particular paints that would lay a buisness card on the car at a show, later that day it would have faded enough to make the spot visible.

Just a heads up on that, I know the glow in the dark paints are like this and some of the very very bright colors. I forget the exact name of them.

Jay
Old 02-04-2005, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Nuked
When we looked into the House of Kolor paint it was around 800-1k for materials alone. Also be advised that some of thier paints have a tendacy to fade very fast. There is a term for it, I cannot remember off hand. This is not a lack of quality or anything, rather the paint is made for cars that see very little sunlight aka show cars. They will be upfront and tell you this when you buy it. The guy told me that he has seen cars painted with those particular paints that would lay a buisness card on the car at a show, later that day it would have faded enough to make the spot visible.

Just a heads up on that, I know the glow in the dark paints are like this and some of the very very bright colors. I forget the exact name of them.

Jay
Thats informative, I didn't know that much about House of Kolor. I just knew them as a good company, but thanks for the heads up! At the moment I have decided that it WOULD be way too expensive, and also I won't have a show car but more of a daily driver. Ill stick with the stock silver, and maybe get some designs on it, thanks
Old 02-05-2005, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by Player_One
SilverCSS, do they galvanize parts by any chance? I hear a bit of zinc does wonders to prevent rust.
Honestly, I have no idea. =/ I just heard a bit about the process, never got around to getting any real bits of information. I'll see if I can't dig something up.