Appearance Body Kits, Hoods, Wheels, Spoilers, Interiors

How far does GM's bumper-to-bumper go?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 12:15 AM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
How far does GM's bumper-to-bumper go?

How far does GM's bumper-to-bumper warranty go?

I noticed the other night that the chrome on my exhaust tip has separated, and is probably going to start peeling...
as of next week I will have had the car for exactly 18 months...

Even though my mileage is high for the time I've owned it, I still have my bumper to bumper warranty.

Is it even worth contacting GM customer service?

the last couple times I did, I totally was just given the run around - then to make matters worse they insisted I talk with a local dealer, who pretty much called me a liar...

I've already had the following broken, repaired or replaced;
  • passenger seat belt replaced (caused "service air bag" message on DIC; warranty covered)
  • four lifters & corresponding rocker grenaded (all sixteen ended up getting replaced; warranty covered)
  • rear brakes prematurely wore out (covered by service department, but not officially a warranty deal)
  • front & rear bow-ties were delaminating (replaced under warranty)
  • sub was improperly mounted; keyways all damaged, mounting hardware all broken, one piece of hardware stuck in my sub case (warranty did not cover, still not properly fixed)

In all I'm still happy with my purchase, and even though sub bit still pisses me off (my neighbor was justifiably mocking me after seeing me fixing it after not having the car for even six months) - I learnt the hard way to not touch anything, and "play dumb" or expect to get walked on...

In all my biggest qualm with the car is the paint - GM's quality isn't what it used to be...

So I ask again - should I even bother bringing this to GM's attention? ~ I mean installing an aftermarket exhaust will pretty much open the flood gates for me getting denied work at local dealers...
and that tip is just going to start looking worse...
then again I could stop cleaning it and just let the soot collect in & hide the crack...

I honestly would appreciate your opinions.

P.S. to any mods, I tried to select a subforum appropriate, and thought this was it seeing as it's about what is essentially an appearance item... if you move this thread to a better spot, please remove this note.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bumper to Bumper is only 3 years 36k miles
Old 08-11-2011, 12:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pretty much, the bumper to bumper warranty is just there to make the owners fight tooth and nail with the dealership to fix something that SHOULD be covered.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know what dealers you have dealt with but that is not the way we do things here.

Anyways, I'm assuming that your exhaust tip is the stock one and not the accessory. The stock one will be replaced under warranty and if anyone gives you a problem just talk to the service manager. If it is the accessory, bolt-on style exhaust tip, that is only covered under a 12/12 warranty.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:24 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by jesizzle
I don't know what dealers you have dealt with but that is not the way we do things here.

Anyways, I'm assuming that your exhaust tip is the stock one and not the accessory. The stock one will be replaced under warranty and if anyone gives you a problem just talk to the service manager. If it is the accessory, bolt-on style exhaust tip, that is only covered under a 12/12 warranty.
Thank you very much for the reply!!

I am happy to read this.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:25 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A Cobalt having that many things wrong with it, No can't see it

My 08 SS had the following done to it under warrenty
!. Drivers door re hung so it would open & close properly
2. O2 sensors x 2 replaced
3. Shifter knob replaced
4. Drivers side inner door handle replaced
5. Passenger side power windows fixed 3 times
6. Sun roof fixed
7. Shifter cable adjusted x 2

Last edited by BlueStang; 08-11-2011 at 07:31 PM.