Appearance Body Kits, Hoods, Wheels, Spoilers, Interiors

NRG e brake handle install

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 12:33 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
NRG e brake handle install

I, like most people, have despised the e brake handle since I purchased the car. I didn't want to pay $80 or whatever for a momo handle (if I could even find one). After searching around, and there's not many handles I could find, I ended up getting an NRG one: NRG ALUMINUM AC STYLE EMERGENCY HAND BRAKE HANDLE E-BRAKE GRIP COVER MATTE BLACK | eBay

It had the largest opening out of the ones I saw (0.875"). I didn't take it a lot of pictures but it's pretty straightforward. I chose to pretty much remover the center console to make it easier and I removed the e brake assembly from the car. You have to remove the cables from it and remove 4 nuts (I believe it was). I then put the assembly in a vice and started shaving the black piece that the oem brake handle slid over. Well, just cut that piece off since you have to remove so much of it. I thought you would use it from all the other threads I read but I had to completely remove it for this handle so you're left with just the metal of the handle and the black knob to release the brake. The knob release mechanism can fall down now so you have to reinsert that into the new handle (with the black knob still intact). I then took a belt sander and sanded the top 2 corners of the metal "U" shaped handle. I got it to where the NRG handle barely slid on about 1/8" and then beat it on with a rubber mallet. Make sure you have it lined up where you want before you beat it on or you won't be able to realign it. I used the release knob that came with the NRG handle and beat it on until the knob just started making contact with the oem black knob. At this point you can lock the NRG handle down with the supplied set screws but only 2 of them will contact the metal handle since the third is in the opening on the back of the "U". Reinstall everything and you're done.

Name:  20170407_132146.jpg
Views: 1110
Size:  112.7 KB

The crown bag (ricer level expert achieved) is just temporary until I get a redline goods boot.

Name:  20170407_171606.jpg
Views: 1493
Size:  88.8 KB

Name:  20170407_171615.jpg
Views: 1370
Size:  103.3 KB

If you have any questions let me know and I'll try to help out.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:06 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I like it. And for $20 it seems like the best solution for our ugly e brake lol. Definitely doing this mod soon!
Old 04-23-2017, 07:09 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
It's way better than stock for sure and at a good price.