Appearance Body Kits, Hoods, Wheels, Spoilers, Interiors

Problems with buyhids.com Retro Projector Kit.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 10:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Problems with buyhids.com Retro Projector Kit.

I bought a Retrofit Projector Headlight kit from buyhids.com on Black Friday.

All Retrofit Headlights are Bi-Xenon Projectors. This means you will have your low & high beams.

Includes:
- Bi-Xenon Morimoto Mini H1 Projectors (Pair)
- Mini Gatling Gun Shrouds (Pair)
- Projectors: LHD (North American Standard)
- TRS H1 HID Kit (5,000k)
- 9007 Bi-Xenon Harness
- Standard 1 Year Warranty

All Retrofits are hand made, For this reason, there may be tiny imperfections.

The headlight options are as follows:

Option 3: Retrofit My Lights NON-PAINTED ($299.99) - You mail us your lights and we paint and do the install work of the Retrofits & aim them.

Since buyhids.com does not normally do ION retro's, I had to send in the headlights off my car. Which sucked because it means I would be without my car but it was something I could live with for a little while. I was told the turn around would be "1-2 weeks depending on other projects". They received my headlights on January 6th and I got my headlights back on February 13th. I also ordered a set of HIDs for my fog lights on January 2nd which I have still not received. But that is not my problem.

My problem is that my Retro kit is not working.

I installed the kit on February 14th. Anyone who has installed one of these kits knows it is simple. Power, ground and a bunch of plugs. So I have everything hooked up and plugged in and my low beams do not work. So I PM Mike on February 14th and get a reply on February 15th saying.

Originally Posted by mkulrey13
Most likely gotta swap the blue/orange wires on your harness. TRS swaps them all the time. its the blue plug. black should be in the middle
So I swap the wires and now the blue plug in my harness looks like this.

So now the lights work in the "Low" position but my high beams are still on. The lights turn off when I put the lights in the "High" position. So I go to Mike for help...

We don't have a phone number. And i cant fix it. you need to go to your car, unplug the high beams, flip the plug around and plug it back it. lol If that does not work, I will have TRS warranty your harness and send you a new one.
What does it mean to "flip the plug around"? Are these plugs designed to be plugged in the wrong way? Which plug exactly? I don't know anything about these kits. I wanted a "Plug and Play" solution and that is why I picked buyhids.com to do my retro. But this is turning into a huge headache and I still can not drive my car. I don't know what the weather is like is Florida but its still dark in WI when I leave work at 5:30pm.

So I was hoping to get some help from the forum. I can't wait another 24 hours for a reply that does not help me. Can someone help me figure out what I need to do get this kit to work or find out if it is defective? When I do a google search, all I get are results of people buying cheap HID kits from ebay. Did I get a cheap kit?
Old 02-16-2012, 10:21 AM
Premium Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you tried color matching the wires? And what does Florida have to do with this?
Old 02-16-2012, 10:35 AM
AWD > FWD

IIRC the wiring with the Ions is different than the cobalts for some reason. Send Maven a PM, I know he has done a few ions. That's a simple matter of 2 wires need to be flipped I think. You wires for high and low beam are flipped. Does it go into low beam mode when you flip the high beams on?
Old 02-16-2012, 10:45 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TommyP
IIRC the wiring with the Ions is different than the cobalts for some reason. Send Maven a PM, I know he has done a few ions. That's a simple matter of 2 wires need to be flipped I think. You wires for high and low beam are flipped. Does it go into low beam mode when you flip the high beams on?
Most likely the reason. I was not aware of this. Any issue ive had with this is either the PINs are swapped or the High Beam plug is backwards. Cobalts mostly.

And for the record eric.. GBs take LONGER then the normal 2-5 week build time. I had 15+ sets to work with. I believe i bumped yours up ahead of alot of people to get it done for you...Also If you STILL have not received your fog light kit.. you just gotta tell me. I will send out a new one today.

Last edited by mkulrey13; 02-16-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by RKRamos
Have you tried color matching the wires? And what does Florida have to do with this?
Just the fact that if it was light out I could still drive my car. But I would get pulled over if I drove around with my high beams all the time.

Originally Posted by TommyP
I have not gotten the low beams to come on at all.

When I flipped the wires Mike told me to flip, the high beams would come on in the low beams position. But nothing would come on in the high beam position.

A good buddy on RLFs recommended this.

Originally Posted by RLProfessional
I believe the problem lies with the 9007 relay they gave you. Somtimes they give 9004 harnesses on accident. What you have to do is switch the white and brown wire on the connector and leave the blue one intact.

I feel like I am going to break this harness if I keep digging in it. I am not good with wiring...
Old 02-16-2012, 10:55 AM

...if that is the problem the two wires need to be swapped as they said above, be care, they can easily be broken....
Old 02-16-2012, 11:04 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
god damn 9007/9004 pins are such a pain in the ass, ive had 3 cars that have had 9007 lights in the past 4-5 years, every time i ordered either a retro harness or a 9007 bixenon kit they were always wired for 9004 even when specified, and i think ive broke those pins 3-4 times and had to cut the wires, its really annoying. and every hid kit out there is like that.

I have a TRS harness now and i told matt to switch the pins before he shipped it, that worked out 100x better.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:08 AM
Banned

My apologies i was not aware of the wire different in the cars wiring. the harness i get are for 9004 and i swap them for 9007 for our Bi-xenon kits and TRS harness's.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by breds2k
god damn 9007/9004 pins are such a pain in the ass, ive had 3 cars that have had 9007 lights in the past 4-5 years, every time i ordered either a retro harness or a 9007 bixenon kit they were always wired for 9004 even when specified, and i think ive broke those pins 3-4 times and had to cut the wires, its really annoying. and every hid kit out there is like that.

I have a TRS harness now and i told matt to switch the pins before he shipped it, that worked out 100x better.
I feel you! You can also cut the wires, swap them and soldier them together, I did this once they worked fine..just seperately wrap each soldiered wire with some electrical tape
Old 02-16-2012, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Blinker fluid

...if that is the problem the two wires need to be swapped as they said above, be care, they can easily be broken....
Thanks for the helpful info.

Originally Posted by breds2k

The RL uses the 9007 plug.

When I originally switched my blue and orange wires I basically just switched which wire the kit thought was the high or low beam.

So I need to switch my wires back around. Do you guys think I need to switch the black wire with the orange one?
Old 02-16-2012, 11:20 AM

Well I should specify that this is what my headlights look like when they do come one.

I hope those are the high beams...
Old 02-16-2012, 11:22 AM
Banned

Low beams have a cutoff line.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:31 AM

I am still confused about what I need to do to fix my problem.

Do I need to match up the colors with my stock plug where:

blue - blue
orange - orange
black - red

Old 02-16-2012, 11:36 AM

the male plug is the factory plug right? If so then yes, make sure the colors of the wires match the ones on the factory. I recommend cutting the wires, behind the plug and soldiering them to the right pin, then wrapping them in electrical tape.. if you google "converting 9004 bulb to 9007" you should find write ups"
Old 02-16-2012, 11:38 AM

Research google for a while, before you do anything, to get more info. take your time with it. Soldering is reversible. Good luck, get back to us
Old 02-16-2012, 11:39 AM

I also found this regarding the headlight wiring.

Originally Posted by rippingviper

A
D-BU
Headlamp Low Beam Signal

B
OG
Battery Positive Voltage

C
PK
Headlamp High Beam Signal

Hope it helps!! It seems our cars are negative switching not positive as there is only 1 constant positive and 2 negatives for high and low. hope this helps ya out. It helped me!
Could that be true?
Old 02-16-2012, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Blinker fluid
the male plug is the factory plug right? If so then yes, make sure the colors of the wires match the ones on the factory. I recommend cutting the wires, behind the plug and soldiering them to the right pin, then wrapping them in electrical tape.. if you google "converting 9004 bulb to 9007" you should find write ups"
Yes. Male is factory.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:42 AM
AWD > FWD

Originally Posted by ebristol
I also found this regarding the headlight wiring.

Could that be true?
yes that's true saturn ions are ground switched
Old 02-16-2012, 11:46 AM
Former Vendor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
Maven does all the wiring for you lol. Eric I sympathize I went through this when I first did my Ion Redline but our electrical guru here fixed it up right away in 2 nanoseconds. Which is good as I am worse than you with wiring.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Powell Race Parts
Maven does all the wiring for you lol. Eric I sympathize I went through this when I first did my Ion Redline but our electrical guru here fixed it up right away in 2 nanoseconds. Which is good as I am worse than you with wiring.
lol We have so many things in common! I don't give a dam how this stuff works nor do I really care to learn. This is one of those things I just want to work and never have to think about again.

The sad part is that with all this help I still don't know what is wrong...

Old 02-16-2012, 12:01 PM
Banned

its PnP for cobalts, didnt realize ions were setup differently. dumb GM
Old 02-16-2012, 12:10 PM

Now we hope to see you log back in with a nice cut off picture of your lowbeams! Go now do it!
Old 02-16-2012, 12:18 PM
Banned

Remember you may have to twist them a tad to be perfect. Instructions were included on the paper that was in the box with the headlights. I don't have an ion to test fit/fine tune them locally unfortunately
Old 02-16-2012, 12:53 PM

its PnP for cobalts, didnt realize ions were setup differently. dumb GM
Is this what you suggest I do?

Originally Posted by ebristol
I am still confused about what I need to do to fix my problem.

Do I need to match up the colors with my stock plug where:

blue - blue
orange - orange
black - red

Old 02-16-2012, 12:58 PM
Banned

on 9004 harness's i receive the orange and black are swapped so orange is in the middle.

Quick Reply: Problems with buyhids.com Retro Projector Kit.