Appearance Body Kits, Hoods, Wheels, Spoilers, Interiors

Rota Grid special order

Old 01-31-2017, 02:35 PM

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by cluelessk
Cheap wheels crack. Good wheels bend.

Modifying cheap wheels isn't the best idea.
I've seen CCW's with multiple cracks in the barrels. Likely far less prevalent on a real wheel like that, but no wheels are immune.
Old 01-31-2017, 03:16 PM

Received 222 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by heeter_33
I imagine their failure rates are higher, but real wheels aren't immune to failure. Only difference is they are usually multi piece wheels and can be rebuilt.

There is no way I would run "real wheels" on a Cobalt. Just like there is no way I would run "fake wheels" on a good car haha.
What's wrong with real wheels on a cobalt?

That's like saying you wont buy your kid nice shoes cause he's ugly.
Old 01-31-2017, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by royce777
What's wrong with real wheels on a cobalt?

That's like saying you wont buy your kid nice shoes cause he's ugly.
Just a personal choice. If you have the financial means then by all means go ahead. But for me personally, I'm not going to put $3000 (Canadian) wheels on an $8000 car when they don't really add any benefit other than style (compared to stock). If the specs were more favorable for future cars that I might own, I could maybe justify it.

I don't have any issues with Cobalts either, I love mine. I should have used a better word to describe, by good car I meant expensive. But the finances just don't make sense for me.

Edit: I did put 20" wheels I bought used on my piece of crap s10 in high school though so maybe I shouldn't talk haha.

Last edited by heeter_33; 01-31-2017 at 04:04 PM.
Old 01-31-2017, 04:05 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I imagine their failure rates are higher, but real wheels aren't immune to failure. Only difference is they are usually multi piece wheels and can be rebuilt.

There is no way I would run "real wheels" on a Cobalt. Just like there is no way I would run "fake wheels" on a good car haha.
I feel that a common misconception is that a real/quality/non replica wheel has to be super expensive.

Enkei makes a very quality wheel that is very inexpensive.

The M52, the PF01s, etc etc all come in 5 x 110 and aren't crazy expensive.

OZ also makes the ultraleggeras and the allegerritas in 5 x 110.

I don't know, but to me, the wheel is quite literally the most important part of a car. If that fails, you damage just about everything from your trans, to your motor, to your suspension. Why save a few bucks here to even remotely have the chance of ruining your car?

And while no wheel is immune to failures, HOW they fail is the important part. If a wheel center sheers away from the spokes...that's far different than if only a barrel or a portion of a wheel fails and keeps your car in tact.
The following users liked this post:
cluelessk (01-31-2017)
Old 01-31-2017, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Scythe_Snake
I feel that a common misconception is that a real/quality/non replica wheel has to be super expensive.

Enkei makes a very quality wheel that is very inexpensive.

The M52, the PF01s, etc etc all come in 5 x 110 and aren't crazy expensive.

OZ also makes the ultraleggeras and the allegerritas in 5 x 110.

I don't know, but to me, the wheel is quite literally the most important part of a car. If that fails, you damage just about everything from your trans, to your motor, to your suspension. Why save a few bucks here to even remotely have the chance of ruining your car?

And while no wheel is immune to failures, HOW they fail is the important part. If a wheel center sheers away from the spokes...that's far different than if only a barrel or a portion of a wheel fails and keeps your car in tact.
True. I don't know why but when the debate always starts I tend to focus on the real expensive 3 piece wheels when referring to "real." Too much time looking at stancy threads I suppose haha.

And I have never really seen very many examples of wheels failing that bad from everyday use. Track use or beating on the car is a whole different can of worms I would presume. But I was talking about me personally in that post, and I don't do anything really taxing other than the odd pull.

Last edited by heeter_33; 01-31-2017 at 05:23 PM.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:31 AM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
True. I don't know why but when the debate always starts I tend to focus on the real expensive 3 piece wheels when referring to "real." Too much time looking at stancy threads I suppose haha.

And I have never really seen very many examples of wheels failing that bad from everyday use. Track use or beating on the car is a whole different can of worms I would presume. But I was talking about me personally in that post, and I don't do anything really taxing other than the odd pull.
Yeah I get you. While multi-piece wheels are really cool, nice 1 piece/cast wheels are also 'legit/non replica' and do not have to be huge money, as I listed in my examples.

I mean yes there are expensive 1 piece wheels out there (*cough cough* Volk TE37s, the wheels the ROta Grids and Varrstoen es2's knocked off [the owner of varrstoen even bragged that he copied their design]), and for good reason, there are a lot of affordable ones too. Real =/= expensive. :-)

Also looked for used wheels out there! Lots of times people upgrade or go a different route and sell their wheels. Buying used non reps >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> supporting rep companies imo

Search this Thread