Appearance Body Kits, Hoods, Wheels, Spoilers, Interiors

Wax/Wash question..

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 07:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wax/Wash question..

SO, I got my car just over 2 months ago, and I have never waxed/polished it yet, just given it normal washes about once or twice a week, depending on weather.

I have a question now, I have some swirl marks on the hood/other parts of the car, whats the correct procedure here..

Is it wash, polish, then wax. Then wax every few months? Or can I just wash/wax..

Does the spray wax work good? Any suggestions on brand, and use it every time im done washing? Thanks!
Old 07-14-2006, 01:40 PM

the proper way for you to do this since it is your first time and the car is a little older would be to wash it. Then clay bar it. Then use a cleaner wax. Then use a scratch and swirl remover like SCRATCH-X. And then to apply a polish like ICE by turtle wax or any other top coat. Then after that just wash it and you can use a spray wax or polish. Repeat that process every 3-5 months of the cl;ay bar wax technique.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:12 PM

I have a black car and of course have always been plagued by swirls. I finally found something that works. I use Mother's Stage 1 (removes any old wax and/or oxidation) then I use Meguire's Swirl remover 2.0 (the best swirl remover I've ever used) and then Mother's stage 3 which is a pure carnuba wax and will give it a great shine.

I wouldn't recommend using ICE by Turtle wax for anything other that a weekly touch up. It works great on plastics and such but just doesn't get great results on black cars, not to mention it's pretty pricey for that bottle ($16)

You can find Mother's at any wal-mart or pep boys. the meguires may be a bit harder to find, especially the 2.0 but I'm sure you can find it on the internet
Old 07-15-2006, 08:57 AM

ive never used a clay bar, are they hard to use? Should I skip that step since im inexperienced..
Old 07-15-2006, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by cobalt8
ive never used a clay bar, are they hard to use? Should I skip that step since im inexperienced..

yes skip that step. I would only use clay bars under extremem conditions such as severe swirls and oxidation. If you only have surface swirls, I would try the swirl remover I recommended
Old 07-16-2006, 08:22 AM

1 Word....Zaino...

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...ry_Code=PHOTOS
Old 07-16-2006, 12:54 PM

Actually clay bar is not in any way going to remove swirl marks. If you can feel surface grit on your paint after you wash your car, then you need to clay bar before you put on a wax/polish (although I would recommend a synthetic polymer sealant and NOT an actual wax). The purpose of a clay bar is to remove surface contaminants before you apply any wax/polish so that it can properly bond with the paint. BUT especially if your car is black and you are inexperienced with using a clay bar, you can definitely put more scratches in your paint by using the clay bar improperly. You're gonna want to use plenty of lube if you do clay bar, or we use a mixture of water and Tropi-Care car wash in a spray bottle. Also if it is your first time to put on a wax/polish you are going to want to wash with Dawn first (the dish soap) to remove the wax that is already on it from the dealer. Here is my post from another car washing thread, it may help you too:

Originally Posted by drives2fast4u
Okay, you said you wanted some steps from professional detailer so here you go. We've been detailing for over 6 years so these tips come from LOTS of experience. First off we use ONLY Tropi-Care's (TC) line of car care products on all of our customers vehicles. Since you stated you wanted this as a SHOW car, also note that approximately 30% of our work is done on show only/show quality cars. We have had a great number (75% +) win in car shows after we detail their cars. So the steps I would recommend for you are:

EXTERIOR:
1. Wash car with Dawn using Microfiber Wash Mit (Use a seperate mit or wheel brush to clean wheels and wheel wells)
2. TC Clay Bar car
3. Wash with TC Premium Car Wash
4. Dry car with "TC Waffle Weave" Microfiber Drying Towel
5. Apply TC Swirl Cutter with Porter Cable #7424 and Yellow Foam Applicator Pad (or by hand with Microfiber Applicator Pad) ((IF NEEDED))
6. Buff off Swirl Cutter with Microfiber Polishing Towel (IF NEEDED)
7. Apply TC Car Polish with Porter Cable #7424 and Black Foam Applicator Pad (or by hand with Microfiber Applicator Pad)
8. Buff off Polish with Microfiber Polishing Towel
9A. (If you are going to a car show) Apply TC Premium Liquid Wax by hand using Microfiber Applicator Pad. Buff off using Microfiber Polishing Towel.
9B. Apply TC Premium Detail Spray and wipe using Microfiber Detail Towel (removes polish dust/residue and fingerprints etc)
10. Clean wheels using TC Premium Detail Spray and Microfiber Gray General Purpose Towel.
11. Dress tires using TC Premium Tire and Rubber Dressing and Tire Dressing Applicator.
12. (Optional) Dress all Rubber trim (VERY carefully) with either TC Premium Tire and Rubber Dressing or TC Leather/Vinyl Dressing and Microfiber towel.
13. Clean all glass using TC Premium Glass Cleaner and (2) Microfiber Towels
14. Polish your exhaust tip with TC Metal Polish and Microfiber Towel.

INTERIOR
1. Vacuum interior
2. Clean all rubber/plastic dash/instruments/door panels and using TC Premium Glass Cleaner and Microfiber Gray Towels
3. Dress Dash with TC Leather/Vinyl Dressing (If desired)
4. Clean leather with TC Leather/Vinyl Cleaner with Microfiber Towel (Including leather steering wheel and shifter)
5. Apply TC Leather/Vinyl Conditioner to all leather with Microfiber Applicator Pad or hands (Including leather steering wheel, door panels and shifter).
6. (Optional) Dress all Rubber trim (VERY carefully) with either TC Premium Tire and Rubber Dressing or TC Leather/Vinyl Dressing and Microfiber towel.
7. Clean all glass using TC Premium Glass Cleaner and (2) Microfiber Towels
8. Clean door/trunk jams with TC Premium Detail Spray.

Also if you're going to a show make sure you clean your engine bay. It may seem like a lot but we do almost all of this for EVERY car we detail, including daily drivers. Keep it up by at least washing it and using TC Premium Car Wash or TC Wash and Wax, and TC Premium Detail Spray about once a week.

Tropi-Care has a bucket kit you can buy that has pretty much everything you need to keep your car looking nice I would recomment the TC Deluxe Detailing Kit if you plan on taking your cars to shows. (Link Below)

If you want some picturs of cars cleaned by us/using TC please view the Photo Gallery on our website (Link Below). It's under construction so excuse the mess.

Hope this helps.
I already have 3 coats of the TC Polish/Sealant on my car, it'll get a coat about every week to two weeks. Also, pics of my car with only 1 coat are in the member's rides forum so you can look at those to see what type of shine you can expect from Tropi-Care products.
Old 07-16-2006, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Cobalt443
yes skip that step. I would only use clay bars under extremem conditions such as severe swirls and oxidation. If you only have surface swirls, I would try the swirl remover I recommended
WTF are you talking about??

Clay removes contamination such as overspray and rail dust.........the stuff that eats into your clear coat.

All you have to do to Clay is wet the surface and rub the clay on the surface while it's wet......bam....done.

In no way shape or form does Clay eliminate swirls. It would actually generate them if you use too heavy of a strength of clay.

You need to take a layer of clear off to eliminate them.....through, machine polishing. Doing it by hand will either take too long or you won't have the ideal results. There are however polishes and glazes that cover swirls.

Then, I would personally finish the detail off with a sealant......and not a wax.

Carnuba waxes only last for about 1-2 months before wearing off where as a sealant will last up to 5. Spray waxes don't last long....maybe for a week or so.

there is one spray wax that has polymers in it that will cause it to last for close to 5 months called Optimum Wax. If you're not a detailer, you've probably never heard of it.

You can stick to "old reliable" as I call it and use Meguiars NXT to seal it. Again, the polymers will allow it to dry harder and last longer than just an ordinary silicone/carnuba wax.

dave.
Old 07-16-2006, 04:40 PM

ok, im gonna wait on the claybar, because in a few months im taking it to a place here to get it professionally detailed before I park it for winter.. Im gonna pay for the works then.

But I went out and bought the mothers 3 step system, I already have a meguires scratch x or whatever, im gonna try to step 2 it says it gets rid of the swirls, should i take it back and get better stuff or is this stuff ok?
Old 07-16-2006, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by zetecgt
WTF are you talking about??

Clay removes contamination such as overspray and rail dust.........the stuff that eats into your clear coat.

All you have to do to Clay is wet the surface and rub the clay on the surface while it's wet......bam....done.

In no way shape or form does Clay eliminate swirls. It would actually generate them if you use too heavy of a strength of clay.

You need to take a layer of clear off to eliminate them.....through, machine polishing. Doing it by hand will either take too long or you won't have the ideal results. There are however polishes and glazes that cover swirls.

Then, I would personally finish the detail off with a sealant......and not a wax.

Carnuba waxes only last for about 1-2 months before wearing off where as a sealant will last up to 5. Spray waxes don't last long....maybe for a week or so.

there is one spray wax that has polymers in it that will cause it to last for close to 5 months called Optimum Wax. If you're not a detailer, you've probably never heard of it.

You can stick to "old reliable" as I call it and use Meguiars NXT to seal it. Again, the polymers will allow it to dry harder and last longer than just an ordinary silicone/carnuba wax.

dave.

So pretty much what I just said....
Old 07-16-2006, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by cobalt8
ok, im gonna wait on the claybar, because in a few months im taking it to a place here to get it professionally detailed before I park it for winter.. Im gonna pay for the works then.

But I went out and bought the mothers 3 step system, I already have a meguires scratch x or whatever, im gonna try to step 2 it says it gets rid of the swirls, should i take it back and get better stuff or is this stuff ok?

It depends what you want I guess, I don't use anything below professional level products. It also depends on how much $$ you want to spend. And removing swirls by hand is hard, but not completely impossible.
Old 07-16-2006, 10:05 PM

ah, i think im going to bring itall back tomorrow and look for better stuff. I just dont know where to get it.
Old 07-16-2006, 10:10 PM

Canadian Tire, Walmart, Parts Source, Bob Jones Auto, Battery Supply
Old 07-16-2006, 10:19 PM

i bought my mothers products from canadian tire! lol What do u use?
Old 07-16-2006, 10:27 PM

I use the worlds best wax (thats actually what it is called lol) its pure caranuba no silcones or anything works great and smells good too...I also have ICE for the weekly touchups black cars suck..

EDIT - BUT meguairs works fine too a good product!
Old 07-16-2006, 11:15 PM

So pretty much what I just said....

hahaha yeah......just a little more thrown in!

Who's da man??? You da man!!

BTW: I'm a PDR/Detailer in S.A. I'm usually on Focaljet.com, but I came across this site from a friend a figured I'd check it out.

dave.
Old 07-16-2006, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by kissmySS
I use the worlds best wax (thats actually what it is called lol) its pure caranuba no silcones or anything works great and smells good too...

although I would recommend a synthetic polymer sealant and NOT an actual wax

Hmmm...
Old 07-16-2006, 11:48 PM

hahaha yeah......just a little more thrown in!

Who's da man??? You da man!!

BTW: I'm a PDR/Detailer in S.A. I'm usually on Focaljet.com, but I came across this site from a friend a figured I'd check it out.

dave.

Sweet! We are hoping to get into PDR by the end of next year, so we can offer the total package
Old 07-17-2006, 01:18 AM

Sorry i was misleading in my previous post my bad its NOT pure but still works really good and lasts alot longer than a month.. here is the link purly for educational purposes..not for advertising im not affliated just like their product..

So in summary i would use this THEN apply a synthetic Sealer..

http://www.worldsbestwax.com/products.html
Old 07-17-2006, 09:57 PM

So in summary i would use this THEN apply a synthetic Sealer..
If you're going to use a wax and a synthetic polymer sealant you want to use the sealant FIRST to bond with your paint, and then use the wax over that as a topper.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:59 PM

Thats why im on here...lol sorry i had it wrong never used a sealant so did not know for sure...thanks for the correction..
Old 07-18-2006, 12:33 AM

Thats why im on here...lol sorry i had it wrong never used a sealant so did not know for sure...thanks for the correction..

No problem I'm really passionate about cars, especially cleaning cars the RIGHT way.. sorry if I get a little carried aways sometimes.. I'm only trying to help!