Autocross and Road Racing Road racing is not “street racing”

Harness use without harness bar?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 10:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb Harness use without harness bar?

Is it possible to run a set of harnesses without having a harness bar? I know there are attachment points in the rear for a baby carrier/booster seat, would it be possible to hinge the upper 2 belts to those? They should be strong enough that if a person was to get into an accident they shouldn't break because that's what they were designed for, restraining a baby carrier or booster seat during impact. The reason I'm not looking to add a harness bar is the cost obviously, and I only really want the harnesses for track days (both road and autox to help keep me from sliding around so much) and maybe a car show or two just to show off. If I don't have a harness bar, I can just easily remove the harnesses for the other 99% of the time that I'm just DD'ing the car.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IM not sure how strong they are but if they are only designed for a baby, IM not sure how they would hold up to a 200#ish person.

I will take a look at mine and let you guys know what i think of the integrity of the points
Old 01-31-2013, 10:14 AM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
hmmm interested in answers for this
Old 01-31-2013, 10:31 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
they will hold you its welded to a par thats bolted to frame.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:35 AM

Most likely it would not be legal for any type of racing.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by mkulrey13
they will hold you its welded to a par thats bolted to frame.
You're talking about the two hook points buried in the seats, right? My cobalt is in storage right now so I'm just going off memory, but there should be an anchor point on each side of the upper deck by the headrests, and there are 2 hooks/anchor points buried in each of the seats where the seat bottom meets the backrest.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:43 AM

i think he is talking about the points on the parcel shelf. Which i dont think are strong enough
Old 01-31-2013, 10:46 AM

The belts have to be mounted at a certain heights and angles relative to your body to work properly. You are also probably much larger and heavier than a small child in a babyseat.

I'm sure your harness and racing type both have their own similar requirements.
http://www.circletrack.com/safety/ct...t/viewall.html

Last edited by emiller; 01-31-2013 at 10:54 AM.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by 68nova200
Most likely it would not be legal for any type of racing.
Originally Posted by emiller
The belts have to be mounted at a certain heights and angles relative to your body to work properly. You are also probably much larger and heavier than a small child in a babyseat.

I'm sure your harness and racing type both have their own similar requirements.
Racing Seat and Harness Installation - Car Racing Safety Tech - Anchor In
I see what you guys are saying, but how would say a Powell harness bar be any more legal?

In the grand scheme of things, I just want them to help hold me side to side tighter, because harnesses can be tightened where the stock seatbelt is loose (retractable) until it locks itself during an impact. If I were to go this route, I think my plan would be to still wear the stock seat belt as well as the harness because the stock belt is guaranteed to hold up during an accident. It sounds like a lot of belts but it's better to be safe than sorry.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:10 AM

Powell bar is sufficiently supported by 4 different points. It can hold up to larger impacts.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:15 AM
Got Brakes?
Platinum Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't think any tech guy would ever let you get away with spanning the belt strap from the back package shelf to your front seat.

Nor would you want to. The stretch in a span that long would be pretty extreme. Wouldn't make me feel safe.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by AaronJ
I see what you guys are saying, but how would say a Powell harness bar be any more legal?

In the grand scheme of things, I just want them to help hold me side to side tighter, because harnesses can be tightened where the stock seatbelt is loose (retractable) until it locks itself during an impact. If I were to go this route, I think my plan would be to still wear the stock seat belt as well as the harness because the stock belt is guaranteed to hold up during an accident. It sounds like a lot of belts but it's better to be safe than sorry.
Not sure how/where it mounts but the heights and angles would be correct and you don't have all that belt to stretch like the other guy said.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:36 AM

Well, forget about attaching to the booster seat anchor points . Check this out:

Schroth Harness Guide and Harness Belt FAQ

Apparently Schroth makes a kit to attach to the rear belts.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:43 AM
Former Vendor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
emiller and sox fan are correct and it looks like you found the right web site for good information. Our harness bar will satisfy all regulations BUT
for racing or tracking your car you need ports in the seats for a 5 point harness and you cant do just one seat. You must do two seats.
you need pickup points for the lap belts and the submarine belts we make that for our R100 sparco seat brackets.

Our stuff is strong enough to handle stout loads in the event of impact. Some of the stuff I have seen aftermarket is pretty weak.

good luck. racing is not cheap
Old 01-31-2013, 11:50 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Received 197 Likes on 175 Posts
Never cheap out when it comes to safety....
Old 01-31-2013, 09:40 PM
Got Brakes?
Platinum Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Staged07SS
Never cheap out when it comes to safety....
Truer words were never spoken.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You see the Schroth type harnesses all the time in autocross, not a safety issue IMO. For track days, I would never consider a four point harness without a sub belt, and I wouldn't run five or six points without an actual rollbar, especially with one piece seats. Harnesses with a harness bar are pointless outside of a parking lot. The stock seat belts with the stock seats are safer than a harness bar with harnesses in a rollover situation.

Last edited by Mark Aubele; 02-02-2013 at 02:03 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:39 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Mark Aubele
You see the Schroth type harnesses all the time in autocross, not a safety issue IMO. For track days, I would never consider a four point harness without a sub belt, and I wouldn't run five or six points without an actual rollbar, especially with one piece seats. Harnesses with a harness bar are pointless outside of a parking lot. The stock seat belts with the stock seats are safer without a cage in a rollover situation.
based on what information?
bs.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Powell Race Parts
based on what information?
bs.
If I roll a car over, I would much prefer to not have my body held upright by one piece seats and harnesses as the roof is crushing my head. Harnesses and one piece seats should never be used without a rollbar (on a track, I have no issue for autocrossing), period. Now explain why the statement is BS? Because you sell harness bars?
Old 02-02-2013, 01:31 PM
Former Vendor

Not at all. In fact, we dont sell harness bars much and I really dont care one way or the other if we sell them. They are well made, they are not cheap and they do the job they were designed to do. They do singnifantly improve the rigidity of the "B"pillar, and would certainly help stop the collapse of the b pillar at the top shoulder belt anchor point, when subjected to a vertical load in a roll over. The stiffness model certainly supports this point.

I do have a lot of experience with roll cages and wrecked cars, and can tell you that roof intrusion is a big issue in a roll over, and a roll cage minimizes that. So for you to say that "stock seats and seat belts are safer without a roll cage in a roll over " is a bs statement.

You have no data to back that up.
I have lots of wrecked race cars that show what a roll cage does, and if you think about it, stopping the roof from collapsing with a properly built SCCA spec roll cage is a very good thing. Why do you think roll cages are required for racing, and standards are written for their installation?
Go to the scrap yard and see how the roof collapses on a car without a cage.

Right.

Second thing is, the principle cause of death in car crashes is "ejection from the vehicle". That is, seat belts not being worn.

So you quite correctly point out that a race harness needs a sub belt.
I wonder why you would make that statement about roll cages and roll overs? Beats me.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:37 PM

Not at all. In fact, we dont sell harness bars much and I really dont care one way or the other if we sell them. They are well made, they are not cheap and they do the job they were designed to do. They do singnifantly improve the rigidity of the "B"pillar, and would certainly help stop the collapse of the b pillar at the top shoulder belt anchor point, when subjected to a vertical load in a roll over. The stiffness model certainly supports this point.

I do have a lot of experience with roll cages and wrecked cars, and can tell you that roof intrusion is a big issue in a roll over, and a roll cage minimizes that. So for you to say that "stock seats and seat belts are safer without a roll cage in a roll over " is a bs statement.

You have no data to back that up.
I have lots of wrecked race cars that show what a roll cage does, and if you think about it, stopping the roof from collapsing with a properly built SCCA spec roll cage is a very good thing. Why do you think roll cages are required for racing, and standards are written for their installation?
Go to the scrap yard and see how the roof collapses on a car without a cage.

Right.

Second thing is, the principle cause of death in car crashes is "ejection from the vehicle". That is, seat belts not being worn.

So you quite correctly point out that a race harness needs a sub belt.
I wonder why you would make that statement about roll cages and roll overs? Beats me.

I was comparing stock seats and belts to one piece seats, a harness bar, and harnesses, which I think have no place on a track. I never compared stock equipment to a rollbar. Not sure how you came up with that.

You see the Schroth type harnesses all the time in autocross, not a safety issue IMO. For track days, I would never consider a four point harness without a sub belt, and I wouldn't run five or six points without an actual rollbar, especially with one piece seats. Harnesses with a harness bar are pointless outside of a parking lot. The stock seat belts with the stock seats are safer without a cage in a rollover situation.
After reading it a few times I guess I could see how you read it that way. I was saying the stock stuff is safer without a cage than a harness bar with harnesses (and no cage obviously). Of course a proper cage is much safer than either.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:41 PM
Former Vendor

I was comparing stock seats and belts to one piece seats, a harness bar, and harnesses, which I think have no place on a track. I never compared stock equipment to a rollbar. Not sure how you came up with that.
This is what you said:"The stock seat belts with the stock seats are safer without a cage in a rollover situation."

Not sure how you can come up with that statement.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:48 PM

This is what you said:"The stock seat belts with the stock seats are safer without a cage in a rollover situation."

Not sure how you can come up with that statement.
For the third or fourth time now, safer than the harness bar. If you read the whole post it is pretty apparent what I was trying to say. Especially the part where I say harnesses shouldn't be used without a rollbar.

You see the Schroth type harnesses all the time in autocross, not a safety issue IMO. For track days, I would never consider a four point harness without a sub belt, and I wouldn't run five or six points without an actual rollbar, especially with one piece seats. Harnesses with a harness bar are pointless outside of a parking lot. The stock seat belts with the stock seats are safer without a cage than a harness bar with harnesses in a rollover situation.

Last edited by Mark Aubele; 02-02-2013 at 02:02 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:48 PM
Former Vendor

NASA who sanction most of the HPDE days around tracks in the USA require race style seats with race harness shoulder belt ports and a harness bar or roll cage . Both seats, driver and passenger. NASA will not allow cars with race harness and stock seats. They will not allow cars with race harness and race seats, and no harness bar or roll cage for attachment. They will alow stock seats and stock seat belts for HPDE days.

Harness bars are not approved for road racing competition. All sanctioning bodies require specific roll cages for road racing. HPDE track days are held to a different standard.

Your opinions are your own, but making a statement about safety as you have quoted, will lead to the response I made. Make sure you are clear in your statements if you did not mean what you said.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:01 PM

NASA who sanction most of the HPDE days around tracks in the USA require race style seats with race harness shoulder belt ports and a harness bar or roll cage . Both seats, driver and passenger. NASA will not allow cars with race harness and stock seats. They will not allow cars with race harness and race seats, and no harness bar or roll cage for attachment. They will alow stock seats and stock seat belts for HPDE days.

Harness bars are not approved for road racing competition. All sanctioning bodies require specific roll cages for road racing. HPDE track days are held to a different standard.

Your opinions are your own, but making a statement about safety as you have quoted, will lead to the response I made. Make sure you are clear in your statements if you did not mean what you said.
Jesus Christ, it isn't that I didn't mean what I said, it was that I never said it. Read the post, it was obvious I was comparing the stock equipment to harness bars. If you want to sit here and argue about how I worded it all day, go right ahead.

And I edited my original post for clarity.

Quick Reply: Harness use without harness bar?