Autocross and Road Racing Road racing is not “street racing”

a little help?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a little help?

I'm looking for a new rallycross car and considering a turbo ss for stock FWD class. Think of rallycross as autocross on smooth dirt.

I need to know the useful speed range of 2nd gear.

A. How fast it will go -- that's easy, but also:

B. How slow can I brake in 2nd and still jump on the throttle?

Since it's on dirt, I don't need massive acceleration when I jump on it. But I don't want it to fall flat for several seconds either. Would someone be willing to test their turbo ss in 2nd gear for me? Just use moderate braking to a set speed, say 25mph and suddenly jump on it. If somewhat strong, try again down to 20mph etc, until you can say how slow is too slow and would require a downshift. No need to do this on dirt, roads are fine. Just remember I'll be on dirt and I only need moderate, not neck breaking throttle response.

Thanks for any help.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RX'er
I'm looking for a new rallycross car and considering a turbo ss for stock FWD class. Think of rallycross as autocross on smooth dirt.

I need to know the useful speed range of 2nd gear.

A. How fast it will go -- that's easy, but also:

B. How slow can I brake in 2nd and still jump on the throttle?

Since it's on dirt, I don't need massive acceleration when I jump on it. But I don't want it to fall flat for several seconds either. Would someone be willing to test their turbo ss in 2nd gear for me? Just use moderate braking to a set speed, say 25mph and suddenly jump on it. If somewhat strong, try again down to 20mph etc, until you can say how slow is too slow and would require a downshift. No need to do this on dirt, roads are fine. Just remember I'll be on dirt and I only need moderate, not neck breaking throttle response.

Thanks for any help.
idk why this would help you at all just down shift but 2nd gear 15mph - 60mph. at 15 there is no pick up in 2nd tho.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ROB517
idk why this would help you at all just down shift but 2nd gear 15mph - 60mph. at 15 there is no pick up in 2nd tho.
Thanks for the response.

Rallycross is much busier than autocross, also slower and tighter. Driver is just too busy to be shifting. I checked my datalogger for the last two events. Max speed was 53. Min speed was 14mph twice on one course and 18 mph a few times on another.

If you're saying nothing much will happen when I nail or roll the throttle at 15mph, then I guess this won't work. Would it help if I used power-on left foot brake? That would give about two seconds of throttle before I exit the corner. Will it build any boost in 2 seconds at low rpm?