Autocross and Road Racing Road racing is not “street racing”

On a serious note! Please read...

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 02:51 PM
ogc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by venom09
Event 5 of the Solosprint Championship was on Mosport GP this weekend. July6.
We had 4 cars go off into the walls with one car totalled completely! That surely made me think twice about going all out, but still managed to pull a 6.0 second lead for the weekend in my class.

update on my first post.
Congrats again, I think it should be mentioned that your time beat the majority of people out there.

Personally I wish we had gotten that third timed session. I know I could have done a much better time than I had. Especially because I had to have co pilots for both timed runs.

Either way, I had a good day, and also a great learning experience as every track day seems to be.

This one in more ways than just driving, also seeing first hand the consequences of what happens when you push too far.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I just wanted to thank you for making this topic. I've been interested in running Auto-X or track days with my SS/TC in the near future and it's really encouraging to see someone with the same car out there killing it.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:31 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Force
I just wanted to thank you for making this topic. I've been interested in running Auto-X or track days with my SS/TC in the near future and it's really encouraging to see someone with the same car out there killing it.
^x2
Old 07-06-2009, 05:45 PM

You guys are most welcome

This little SS/TC is by far the most impressive and easy to drive car in my limited 10 years of open track experience.
My Cobalt is still 100% stock except for Nitto's Max Perforformance Street Tire the Nitto NT05's.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:47 PM

put the ottp hard core rear sway bar on it and tune
Old 07-06-2009, 05:47 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You guys are most welcome

This little SS/TC is by far the most impressive and easy to drive car in my limited 10 years of open track experience.
My Cobalt is still 100% stock except for Nitto's Max Perforformance Street Tire the Nitto NT05's.
That time against the SuperSnake was with the Contis though, right? Just wanted to double-check my facts.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by ogc
Congrats again, I think it should be mentioned that your time beat the majority of people out there.

Personally I wish we had gotten that third timed session. I know I could have done a much better time than I had. Especially because I had to have co pilots for both timed runs.

Either way, I had a good day, and also a great learning experience as every track day seems to be.

This one in more ways than just driving, also seeing first hand the consequences of what happens when you push too far.
Thank you and congrats on your 4th place with a 1.48.74
Glad you had a good day and hope to see you out for our next event.

Originally Posted by Stamina
That time against the SuperSnake was with the Contis though, right? Just wanted to double-check my facts.
Yes, the Supersnake and Viper vids was on the Conti's.(had to take it to the Dealer for a code that week) Everything els including Solosprint competition was on the Nitto's.

Originally Posted by drew1991sf
put the ottp hard core rear sway bar on it and tune
I drove ogc's car with the rear swaybar and 1.6 camber on the front and was very impressed. It is definately more suited for my kind of driving.
The stock setup is a little more forgiving for the unexperienced driver though IMHO.

Last edited by venom09; 07-06-2009 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-06-2009, 06:11 PM

then get it dude its only 220bucks plus will help alot. lol
Old 07-06-2009, 06:14 PM

then get it dude its only 220bucks plus will help alot. lol
I am looking into it
Hopefully ogc can hook me up...
Old 07-06-2009, 06:24 PM

once u add some power i can only imagine some of the cars ur gonna b smashing
Old 07-06-2009, 10:09 PM

once u add some power i can only imagine some of the cars ur gonna b smashing
The Cobalt is already too fast!

Check out the thread on the Solosprint forums...
http://www.casc.on.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=17191
Old 07-06-2009, 10:59 PM

I'm still floored at how well this thing does on a track.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:06 PM

haha you posted and they all shut up. I just did my first hpde at carolina motorsports park. when I saw I was running with an S2000,bunch of older 911s an STI on 22psi and water/alcohol, an 08 Z06 vette, a new GTR I got kina worried. The GTR was the only car to pass me all weekend! I almost **** when I was all over the Z06 and he gave me the point by! This car rocks! Can't wait for my kumho MX 245s Although you seem to do very well with the NT05s.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:22 AM

not possible never too fast! lol ahaha
Old 07-07-2009, 09:09 AM

How are your brakes holding up, venom09? I've just gotten to the end of university and I'm debating exactly what expenses I'd be looking at to Auto-X. In all likelihood it sounds like I'd have to start next season, and even then, ensure it doesn't crack my budget. Aside from brakes and tires, is there any other common expenses for Auto-X events? I'm pretty much putting track days out of my mind right now since, as much as I'd like to run them, I can't afford any uninsured damage to my car.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:33 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
holy crap, thank you for actually racing this car and posting vids and pics! I did some non sanctioned racing in my ms3 and road tours on the twisty back roads, but I just got the SS so I cant wait to try it out on the track.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:21 AM
ogc

It really seems like they dont like the fact you are a good driver haha...

I am hoping they dont try to re class the car! I plan on running the full solosprint season next year and hopefully being competitive.

It really wouldnt have looked good if I was running faster though... I think I helped us out a little.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:56 AM

not possible never too fast! lol ahaha

Originally Posted by ogc
It really seems like they dont like the fact you are a good driver haha...

I am hoping they dont try to re class the car! I plan on running the full solosprint season next year and hopefully being competitive.

It really wouldnt have looked good if I was running faster though... I think I helped us out a little.
YES you did! Now they think it is the tires, but I know the tires are worth only 1 - 1.5 secs tops.

How are your brakes holding up, venom09? I've just gotten to the end of university and I'm debating exactly what expenses I'd be looking at to Auto-X. In all likelihood it sounds like I'd have to start next season, and even then, ensure it doesn't crack my budget. Aside from brakes and tires, is there any other common expenses for Auto-X events? I'm pretty much putting track days out of my mind right now since, as much as I'd like to run them, I can't afford any uninsured damage to my car.
Roughly 200 hard laps and 4000km street driving...
My brakes are shot, 20 - 30% pad life left and front rotors show little wear with small stress cracks, normal for this kind of abuse. Rear rotors show massive wear on the inside.
Autocross is not hard on your car at all. Just keep an eye on the edges of the front tires for signs of rollover (max pressures and more camber will help) and use some of that clear Dollar Store stick on stuff for the front bumper and lower rockers. That will help with the pylon marks.

Originally Posted by northvibe
holy crap, thank you for actually racing this car and posting vids and pics! I did some non sanctioned racing in my ms3 and road tours on the twisty back roads, but I just got the SS so I cant wait to try it out on the track.
This car will blow your mind, there was a MS3 (stock offcoarse) on one of our track days and he was not even remotely competitive...

Last edited by venom09; 07-07-2009 at 11:20 AM. Reason: my spellin susks ass
Old 07-07-2009, 11:05 AM

My brakes are shot, 20 - 30% pad life left and front rotors show little wear with small stress cracks, normal for this kind of abuse. Rear rotors show massive wear on the inside.
Autocross is not hard on your car at all. Just keep an eye on the edges of the front tires for signs of rollover (max pressures and more camber will help) and use some of that clear Dollar Store stick on stuff for the front bumper and lower rockers. That will help with the pylon marks.
Or you could just not hit the pylons... (wishful thinking, I know )
Old 07-07-2009, 01:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its really nice to see a great post like this, it was a pleasure to read. I'm not as experienced a driver as you but I've had the Cobalt out at VIR and Summit Point and have been really impressed with it.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:31 PM

One of my fav posts for sure. As a fellow auto-x , track day fanatic I can really understand how happy you are with this purchase. As I mentioned before I have also got an extra inspection this year to make sure my car was legit...

The instructors really lit up when they asked what type of car I was registering for the course. "Oh yeah! Thats a perfect car for this session" Man being a chevy driver I am not used to kudos at all. Funny I get no respect online but in person, people genuinely seem to like the car.. Im not counting sore losers and there is a couple.. one guy in particular who drives an s2k and scoffs at the balt. He cant drive at all , but has an orange race suit and dyed hair! He was in one of my classes and was acting like the king peacock... and then I dismantled him...
Old 07-07-2009, 01:55 PM

Thanks, man! Hopefully I'll see you out at some events either late this season or next year. If there's any events in the fall this year I may drop by just to watch you and OGC compete. It would also be good to see how the whole process works before I get out there myself.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:58 PM

I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you!!!!!!!!!!

Now I just got myself approved for a credit card, soley so I can buy tires with it, and the NT05's are really tempting me. I need tires, I have wanted the NT05, and I can get them from Ebay for $620 shipped! Seems liek a god deal to me.

what size do you have?
Old 07-07-2009, 02:36 PM
ogc

Thanks, man! Hopefully I'll see you out at some events either late this season or next year. If there's any events in the fall this year I may drop by just to watch you and OGC compete. It would also be good to see how the whole process works before I get out there myself.
You shoudl definitely get out to a local autocross event or make it out for a day at TMP or Dunnville.

The good thing about these open lapping days is that there is no pressure, drive at the speed you are comfortable and start learning.

And dont be afraid to ask questions.

Are you in Waterloo or North Bay at the moment? I have my R1 tires showing up soon so I will likely be heading out to TMP for a day to try them out. If you are around in Waterloo you should come out, watch if youd like but you should try driving.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:18 PM

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
can someone go over the whole process of getting into this auto x-ing? i wanna run my car on a track like that, no other cars have to be on it. Just wanna see what the car can do. Can you have a passanger with you in the car? what are the costs involved? where can I go locally? (I live in Maryland). This car is my daily driver, would running it on the track be a poor decision?

Quick Reply: On a serious note! Please read...