Autocross and Road Racing Road racing is not “street racing”

WARNING to autocrossers!

Old 05-06-2006, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WARNING to autocrossers!

If you are autocrossing a Cobat SS S/C (don't know if others are affected), you may want to replace your steering knuckles.

I was at an autocross event today and some of the GM Tech Center employees were autocrossing some GM Corporate vehicles. There were two or three solstice's and one Cobalt SS S/C. Well, after about 6-7 runs, the Cobalt comes around a sharp left turn that immediately transitions into a right and right after the transition, the left front of the Cobalt dropped. The wheel was completely caved into the fender and had to be moved off of the course on wheel dollies. The GM employees said that they knew it would probably not last.

I know that GM is offering steering knuckles for competition use for the Cobalt, which should be much stronger than stock. I will post the GM document ASAP that describes the competition knuckle, but I have to find it.

Last edited by red_wing_2121; 05-06-2006 at 08:46 PM.
Old 05-06-2006, 09:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ive heard this could be a problem, do you know if it is also an issue with the ls models? why would gm release a so called sports compact that cant take the abuse they know its gonna have to endure. well 2 1/2 years till i trade up anyway, hopefully itll make it.
Old 05-06-2006, 09:58 PM

http://www.alldata.com/tsb/General-M...01A/80011.html

doesn't specify cobalt ss/sc tho....
Old 05-07-2006, 11:59 AM

This actually might be a blessing in disguise for autocrossers who are looking to stay in the stock classes and obtain as much negative camer as possible. It looks like the replacement knuckle will allow for as much as -2.25 degrees of negative camber. Does anyone know how much is available in the original knuckle?

At any rate, for those that are driving competitively, this is definitely something to look into not just for a performance advantage, but also for safety.
Old 05-07-2006, 12:01 PM

Redwing excellent info, thanks
Old 05-07-2006, 12:16 PM

im pretty sure if you have your knuckles replaced you cant stay in the stock class. the scca doesnt care if gm suggests they be replaced, as far as theyre concerned its not a stock suspension piece and therefore not elegible for stock class. the only changes you can make is a change of shocks(when theyre released), catback, an alternate air filter element, and wheels of the same size and offset.
Old 05-07-2006, 12:26 PM

I noticed this info awhile back in GM Service Info. I attempted to get info from GM on price and avail., but they had no info and the #'s weren't any good at the time. This was about 1.5 months ago, though.
Old 05-07-2006, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by bluebaltjim
im pretty sure if you have your knuckles replaced you cant stay in the stock class. the scca doesnt care if gm suggests they be replaced, as far as theyre concerned its not a stock suspension piece and therefore not elegible for stock class. the only changes you can make is a change of shocks(when theyre released), catback, an alternate air filter element, and wheels of the same size and offset.

You can also change the front stabilizer bar!
Old 05-07-2006, 07:39 PM

besides the ability of possible larger avalible suspension changes in camber and such whats so differant about these then the stockers?

I ask this becasue i've broken my rite front whell hub...it brooke for a a un-known reason so are these made any differant?
Old 05-08-2006, 10:45 AM

In re-reading my 2006 rule book, and this has been pretty consistent for as long as I've been autocrossing, this modification would be allowed if it were simply re-worded. Since the words "for competitive purposes" appears in the TSB, it would NOT be allowed under SCCA Stock Class Solo rules (unfortunately!)

John Heinricy, if you're reading this, have that wording changed in the TSB to something like "heavy-duty replacement" so that it would be a legal stock class change .
Old 05-08-2006, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by NJBLUESS
I noticed this info awhile back in GM Service Info. I attempted to get info from GM on price and avail., but they had no info and the #'s weren't any good at the time. This was about 1.5 months ago, though.
Do you happen to have the part numbers?
Old 05-08-2006, 10:56 AM
Banned

same knuckles used in the pontiac/saturn roadsters ?
Old 05-08-2006, 11:54 AM

anybody know how or why it might be stronger than stock?

Last edited by RedCavyRS99; 07-09-2006 at 12:29 PM.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by alleycat58
Do you happen to have the part numbers?
88958710=LH knuckle
88958711=RT knuckle

I will check into these some more to see if they exsist yet.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:25 PM
Banned

perhaps it's stronger because initially it was never imagined the car would be used in this type of every day driving scenario until they decided to make this up to handle the issues people might be having with them in a non-autocross situation

Last edited by RedCavyRS99; 07-09-2006 at 12:30 PM.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:33 PM

Just checked, the #'s are not on file, but are avail. from source and stock is avail. (the dealer needs to call Partec for avail.) The cost, ouch, but maybe worth it for the strength. List is $335 each, cost would be around $300 each.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by conemark
This actually might be a blessing in disguise for autocrossers who are looking to stay in the stock classes and obtain as much negative camer as possible. It looks like the replacement knuckle will allow for as much as -2.25 degrees of negative camber. Does anyone know how much is available in the original knuckle?

At any rate, for those that are driving competitively, this is definitely something to look into not just for a performance advantage, but also for safety.

...the steering knuckles don't affect the alignment. Those are the stock alignment specs for the SS/SC...not something that is changed by steering knuckles. It says that in the bulletin if you read through it (I actually had to read it twice to get that though)...something to the effect of to inform about the availability of the knuckles and to inform those interested in the proper alignment specs for the car.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:13 PM

how would scca know if you have changed them? i mean couldnt you change them, and still say it was stock? i dont know how they inspect the car, but i wouldnt think they would go and look to see if they are stock or not, and it isnt like the new gm ones have like aftermarket knuckle written on them..... again i have never auto x'd before, so i dont know how scca would find out...???
Old 05-09-2006, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by italstalnprd86
how would scca know if you have changed them? i mean couldnt you change them, and still say it was stock? i dont know how they inspect the car, but i wouldnt think they would go and look to see if they are stock or not, and it isnt like the new gm ones have like aftermarket knuckle written on them..... again i have never auto x'd before, so i dont know how scca would find out...???
At any SCCA sancitoned autocross, there is what is known as "impound", where fellow competitors can examine each other's car for conformity to the rules. If a competitor's car is found to be in violation of the rules, a protest can be filed and the results for that competitor can be disqualified. Usually these impounds do not happen at the local level, and for the most part, locally, the guys who are winning may not care if you are running a part that is "for competitive purposes", but at bigger national events, that is something that will get protested without a second though.

As far as any alignment advantages, as fastSS06 pointed out, there is none to be had. I mistakenly thought the steering knuckle would have been the entire hub.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:31 AM
Banned

GMP ST racing team uses grand am knuckles and hubs up front and Grand Hubs only in the rear (not sure about the rear if it is just hubs). then they redrill the rotors to fit. this was also seen on the show tuner challenge for the time attack build.

is this the same part? is the hub strong enough for competition? GM lead me to believe the grand am hubs were better?

another thing is wheels are no longer useful but if you want a specific rim now there is far more available in the grand am bolt pattern
Old 05-10-2006, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by conemark
At any SCCA sancitoned autocross, there is what is known as "impound", where fellow competitors can examine each other's car for conformity to the rules. If a competitor's car is found to be in violation of the rules, a protest can be filed and the results for that competitor can be disqualified. Usually these impounds do not happen at the local level, and for the most part, locally, the guys who are winning may not care if you are running a part that is "for competitive purposes", but at bigger national events, that is something that will get protested without a second though.

As far as any alignment advantages, as fastSS06 pointed out, there is none to be had. I mistakenly thought the steering knuckle would have been the entire hub.
right, but i really doubt anybody would know the difference between a stock knuckle and the replacement
Old 05-10-2006, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by tiny
right, but i really doubt anybody would know the difference between a stock knuckle and the replacement
You would be surprised at National Level events just how much your fellow competitors know. In this example, someone will know exactly what the part numbers are for the replacements and actively look for it at impound.
Old 06-23-2006, 04:19 PM
GTP

Put a call in to GM found out that the steering knuckles do indeed exist for the right and left front at $270.00 each..!!! It probably requires disassembly by a press and hub puller as well. Doing more research now on these.
Old 07-09-2006, 12:22 PM

updates?

Anyone hear anything else on this or have a knuckle blow out on them?
Old 07-09-2006, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Zerocool4211
Anyone hear anything else on this or have a knuckle blow out on them?

Well, I spent the whole weekend at the track auto-xing .... and no issues here. Made a 65 mile trip back home as well.

I still have thought about getting them this fall just in case....lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: WARNING to autocrossers!