Autocross and Road Racing Road racing is not “street racing”

What happens to car when autocrossed?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What happens to car when autocrossed?

What will happen to a Cobalt when autocrossed? Like the edges of the tires getting quite rough and worn aggressively from cornering.

I autocrossed my SS/TC for the first time a few weeks ago. The car was fine before and after the event, tire wear as expected. Everything ran fine despite getting a CEL while racing. The light went off after I tightened the gas cap after fueling up the same day.

A week later I noticed a vibration in the steering wheel developing and the car would pull to one side. Today all of a sudden on the highway, the minor vibration turned into a major event, everything was rattling quite loud, even over the stereo and all the mirrors on the car were shaking violently etc. Took the car to the dealership and they balanced my wheels, did an alignment, and modified the front struts. Problem solved.

My question is, does the alignment commonly get knocked out of whack from autocross racing? Should I expect that to happen every time and is that normal? I wish I had the alignment checked before racing, then I would know whether it was messed up before or after racing.
Old 08-28-2010, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by aterminatorz
What will happen to a Cobalt when autocrossed? Like the edges of the tires getting quite rough and worn aggressively from cornering.

I autocrossed my SS/TC for the first time a few weeks ago. The car was fine before and after the event, tire wear as expected. Everything ran fine despite getting a CEL while racing. The light went off after I tightened the gas cap after fueling up the same day.

A week later I noticed a vibration in the steering wheel developing and the car would pull to one side. Today all of a sudden on the highway, the minor vibration turned into a major event, everything was rattling quite loud, even over the stereo and all the mirrors on the car were shaking violently etc. Took the car to the dealership and they balanced my wheels, did an alignment, and modified the front struts. Problem solved.

My question is, does the alignment commonly get knocked out of whack from autocross racing? Should I expect that to happen every time and is that normal? I wish I had the alignment checked before racing, then I would know whether it was messed up before or after racing.
Well I cant say 100% sure because I have never auto crossed and am in the interest field of doing so but driving a stock car at a fast none normal way would lead me to assume your gonna break/loosen/destroy parts especially suspension items. Which can be replaced easible with the vendors on here for better modified parts. Good luck and have fun let me know what I am missing out on lol
Old 08-28-2010, 01:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm going to bet you had a loose wheel. Did you hear an occasional popping sound before things got really bad? Remember, the right amount of torque is 100 ft/lbs. Much more than I'm used to for cars.

The CEL is likely a misfire event if you tried to NLS. It happens from time to time.
Old 08-28-2010, 03:26 AM

Usually just tire sidewall wear... badly if your car has little front negative camber.
Steering could then pull one side after autox because now both side of tires could wear
unevenly. But your car's alignment shouldn't be knock out of wack.
Old 08-28-2010, 07:59 PM

Maybe CEL from hitting the rev limiter so many times. The dealer should have torqued them to 100 ft. lbs.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
x3 sounds like you had a wheel coming loose.

Auto-x is tough on the tires, suspension, and brakes, but not enough to cause something that severe to happen. Something had to have been wrong before you raced the car.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:21 PM

My car is doing what your describing
Old 08-29-2010, 12:55 AM

I need to get a torque wrench so I can check them myself. I want to pull the fronts off and see what the front strut modification looks like.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:04 AM
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Have the wheel hub assembly checked. I have had the rear driver's side replaced once and I think it needs it again. Sounds like that maybe your issue here.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by Black SS/SC 06
Have the wheel hub assembly checked. I have had the rear driver's side replaced once and I think it needs it again. Sounds like that maybe your issue here.
off-topic just wanted to say I like the wheels on your car; car looks sharp.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by MrSlickSter06SS
off-topic just wanted to say I like the wheels on your car; car looks sharp.
X2 what wheels are those?
Old 08-29-2010, 02:32 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by aterminatorz
I need to get a torque wrench so I can check them myself. I want to pull the fronts off and see what the front strut modification looks like.
yeah Id be interested too, because you cant modify stock ones :P maybe they made sure they were torq'd, dunno.

Ive autox'd my ss a few times now. Theres tire wear on the edges but ive never had alignment get out of whack that bad. I check my lugs before event to 100lbs. Are you fully stock? I have pedders and sway bar and some things but it doesnt get worse after a autox. As long as you torq spec your bolts you should stay good.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:47 AM

Yeah the front is not adjustable unless you grind the mounting hole larger.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:33 PM

Autocrossing is not that hard on your car. Think about it it's a quick burst (30-60 seconds) with speeds under 70MPH (usually) not exactly a Sunday drive but far from the abuse your car takes when you lap it or Solo 1.

I've autocrossed my SS/TC a few times and she has been good. If you inflate your tires properly I find (38PSi front 37PSi rear cold works best for me) you won't be rolling your sidewalls much and therefore you won't be shredding the edges of your tires. The only things that your car will go through faster when you autocross a lot is gas, brake pads and tires everything else should be a-ok.

And as for torquing your wheels this is key I always torque mine to 100ft/lbs then after driving a bit 50 miles or so I re-torque them and then the night before an autocross event I tripple check the torque and set my tire pressures, can't be to carefull.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When your car autocrosses? It makes it happy, it starts thinking...."this is what i was made for!! not that dragracing stuff." lol

The cobalt SS/TC is my 4th autoX car in 5 years and I like it, not as much fun as an S2000 or not as fast as the STi but a blast for a front wheel drive car. I havnt had any sort of problems yet with mine other than a few rattles from the stiffer rear konis and dunlop star specs.