Autocross and Road Racing Road racing is not “street racing”

Who Makes and Sells Bracing for Cobalts

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by whyyoumadson?
i mean the question is do you really need it? are you tracking or something of the sort to where its going to be worthwhile to pony up for bracing?

the stiffer you make the car the more crap your going to hear. no one really makes any sort of bracing except powell. so your best bet is get a harness bar and subframe connectors call it a day. made a big difference on mine but believe me you definately hear a lot of creaks and what not now.
I autocross now although by the end of the year I want to make it to a track day. Not real worried about squeaks, car already has them.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:01 PM

The big question is, what is legal for your class in your series. I know that I cannot have weld in sub frame connectors and that they cannot cross connect. But I dont remember anything else for street mod off the top of my head.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:16 PM

yeah autox is totally different. chassis bracing in nasa only counts for one point.... thats for all chassis bracing(except any form of roll bar or roll cage)
Old 02-11-2012, 06:56 PM
Former Vendor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
they are called "subframe connectors" by most sanctioning bodies and afaik cost no points. but i am not up on all that, check with Wangspeed he is one authority, along with Herbert who is a national autox champ iirc
Old 02-11-2012, 06:57 PM
Former Vendor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
ps bolt and bond them in with GM panel adhesive then they are not welded and just as good.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like what wangspeed has. They look good and provide a better jack point than the one on the car that just rolls over. I want to see how light I car get the cobalt this season before adding to much bracing.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Powell Race Parts
they are called "subframe connectors" by most sanctioning bodies and afaik cost no points. but i am not up on all that, check with Wangspeed he is one authority, along with Herbert who is a national autox champ iirc

yeah i dont auto x so it might be a free mod there. in nasa it counts as 1 point. subframe connectors are considered chassis bracing t them. scca will pin u for it too
Old 02-12-2012, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Leafydialupking
The big question is, what is legal for your class in your series. I know that I cannot have weld in sub frame connectors and that they cannot cross connect. But I dont remember anything else for street mod off the top of my head.
Subframe connectors are legal in SM (and SP), they just cannot cross-connect, they also cannot go through the floor. Page 110 2011 Solo Rulebook, 16.1.G, in accordance with Street Prepared Rules....

E. Longitudinal (fore-aft) subframe connectors (SFCs) are permitted
with the following restrictions:
1. They must only connect previously unconnected boxed frame rails
on unibody vehicles.
2. Each SFC must attach at no more than three points on the unibody (e.g. front, rear, and one point in between such as a seat
mount brace or rocker box brace).
3. SFCs must be bolted or welded, but welding must be to the OE
subframe stampings, not to the floor pan in between.
4. No cutting of OE subframes or floorpan stampings is permitted.
Drilling is permitted for mounting bolts only.
5. No cross-car/lateral/triangulated connections directly between the
driver’s side and passenger’s side SFCs are permitted. Connections to OE components such as tunnel braces or closure panels
via bolts are allowed and count as the third point of attachment.
No alteration to the OE components is permitted.
6. SFCs may not be used to attach other components (including but
not limited to torque arm front mounts or driveshaft loops) and
may serve no other purpose.

Last edited by Mark Aubele; 02-12-2012 at 06:24 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:37 PM

I guess I forgot about the weld in's. That makes it a lot more awesome.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:56 PM

Anyone ever hear of Cipher Auto? I found this harness bar by them, and I'm thinking about getting it over the Powell bar because I'm a little on the poor side right now. Just wondered if anyone has used it or seen reviews on it..

Thoughts?
Old 02-14-2012, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by 07cbaltLS
Anyone ever hear of Cipher Auto? I found this harness bar by them, and I'm thinking about getting it over the Powell bar because I'm a little on the poor side right now. Just wondered if anyone has used it or seen reviews on it..

Thoughts?
had one in my STi. I liked it but makes the back seat un usable for people. I also have a schroth harness that works with those. it does a small ammount of bracing.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:55 PM

I just can't justify spending 400 on the Powell bar right now. I think this will work for the time being, and if need be, I can take out the 4 bolts or whatever to take the main bar off so people can ride back there (which is maybe once every 6 months..)
Old 02-14-2012, 11:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, that bar is unsafe for harness use. The harness attachment should not be below your shoulders, unless you like spinal compression...
Old 02-15-2012, 08:54 AM

^^^^this....
Old 02-15-2012, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Wangspeed
Wow, that bar is unsafe for harness use. The harness attachment should not be below your shoulders, unless you like spinal compression...
I was wondering why it's so low.. I'd probably take this and make new bracing bars or whatever they're called so it sits up where it should. Nothing a little time and work can't fix..
Old 02-15-2012, 09:59 AM

and if someone does it for you i bet any money your at the cost of a powell bar. plus having to get it re powdecoated
Old 02-15-2012, 10:22 AM

I can get the stock for reasonably cheap and weld an insert into the end, which should fix it fairly easy. I'd probably just paint it in the end too cause I have all the necessary stuff to do it correctly so I'd be cutting out that cost.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:23 AM

Just get the right bar. This is ******* seat belts we're talking about.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:23 AM

I saw that but just thought it was the photo.

This was the one for my sti. It worked out cause it was just above my shoulders.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by madcitySS
I saw that but just thought it was the photo.
Look how far down it is compared to the rear arm cutouts in the plastic. There is no way that's a photo perspective issue.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:57 AM

Look how far down it is compared to the rear arm cutouts in the plastic. There is no way that's a photo perspective issue.
very true. Cause if you look at mine its right where it should be on the drivers side since i only had one harness on that side. Still have the harness just done need it right now.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:10 AM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Your talking safety here. Are you willing to cheap out and save a couple bucks at the risk of injuring yourself or someone else? A $100 harness bar scares me. Because theres a profit markup in that. Especially since it sounds like its for use and not show.

Just save your money and wait till you can get the Powell bar.

On that note, guys, dont buy the $20 bargin bin harnesses either. And watch out if your buying used harnesses. There is a few reputable places that sell used harnesses, but your best off buying from a known safety brand, especially if your goIng to track the car
Old 02-25-2012, 08:52 AM

That thing looks useless
Old 02-26-2012, 11:35 AM

All harness bars scare me. Do what you want for autocross, but I think putting a fixed back seat and harnesses in a car with no rollbar for track us is a recipe for disaster. No rollbar and I will deal with sliding around a bit with the stock seats and belts and be happy in the fact that I will probably be alive if the car happens to roll over.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Aubele
All harness bars scare me. Do what you want for autocross, but I think putting a fixed back seat and harnesses in a car with no rollbar for track us is a recipe for disaster. No rollbar and I will deal with sliding around a bit with the stock seats and belts and be happy in the fact that I will probably be alive if the car happens to roll over.
Yep, I generally agree to this as well. Plus if there's a side impact, most bars will likely deform, likely resulting in slack of the belts. It's a slippery slope once you want real safety gear. Disable air bags, fixed back seats, roll bar, etc.

Not even the manufacturers test around tracks with just a harness bar. They all use a roll bar or cage for their test mules.

Quick Reply: Who Makes and Sells Bracing for Cobalts