Canadian Mid West NW Territories, Alberta, Saskatchewan

Street Racing

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 01:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Street Racing

Does anyone go to the street races anymore? I went 3 or 4 times when I was in highschool, but it got old quick....Id much rather go to the track.

Just curious if any of you guys ever go...
Old 08-07-2006, 01:08 AM

LOL, no one does it anymore, the law has changed in Canada. Street Racing = Criminal offence + jail time + HUGE fine
Old 08-07-2006, 01:14 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Black07
Does anyone go to the street races anymore? I went 3 or 4 times when I was in highschool, but it got old quick....Id much rather go to the track.

Just curious if any of you guys ever go...

Old 08-07-2006, 01:33 AM
p7x

its called highway racing now
Old 08-07-2006, 02:40 AM

Used to back in Ottawa, but out here, it's so disorganized. I wouldn't dare run my car on the streets here. Besides, the laws have really been beefed up and I can't afford to lose my license.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:15 AM

not worth it, take it to the track

i remeber the scene used to be "hot" like 5 years ago but its died A LOT. i sorta miss seeing more custom cars. Seems like they've all disappeared. Rice is grosse, but i dont mind seeing cars with body kits that are clean
Old 08-07-2006, 04:55 AM

yeah forsure, like i said, i havent gone in about 3 years so im not surprised. The track is the way to go, and as mentioned above, I cant afford to lose my license...
Old 08-07-2006, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Apex
not worth it, take it to the track

i remeber the scene used to be "hot" like 5 years ago but its died A LOT. i sorta miss seeing more custom cars. Seems like they've all disappeared. Rice is grosse, but i dont mind seeing cars with body kits that are clean
5 years ago? You should have seen it 10-15 years ago.

Deerfoot mall was a big scene back then better then 100 cars easy. I used to race my 87 IROC there and kick Mustangs ass
Old 08-08-2006, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by avro206

Deerfoot mall was a big scene back then better then 100 cars easy. I used to race my 87 IROC there and kick Mustangs ass
10 years ago i would have been 13

******* F&F movies ruined everything lol. now even just car meets cops keep driving by.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by avro206

i remember that! haha

i wonder if i saw you there lol

I used to go like avro said.. but then one night i saw a huge car accident and how stupid everyone was (e.g. jumping curbs with their cars, so many people) and i didnt go back. When they opened up racecity with secret street, it seems way safer and better.

and like everyone said.. the fines were a big deterrant too.
Old 08-08-2006, 04:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Im not into the whole F&F wannabe scene to much, but when i was in cowtown a few weeks ago i did take a run out to the industrial area timmys where they all meet up.
ill admit it was cool to see some nice modded cars, but when the actually "racing" started all i could do was giggle.

Everyone cruises to a "spot" at which point everyone looks around and waits for someone to have the ***** to actually do something, at which point 9 times out of 10 the cops cruise by before anyone does race, and all the teenyboppers run around like they are extras on F&F 5: Why are we still watching.

its hilarious. oh and theres always 1 or 2 guys who cant help yelling "cops cops cops" as they scatter to their 96 civic hatchback complete with fartcan and......
well.....a fartcan is about it.

ahh well. i got a hell of a chuckle out of the nite. and there were a couple of legit modded cars around which was cool to see.

but unfortunately the streetracing scene has taken a big downhill plunge because of the lack of intelligence of many of the participants.

IE last weekend in edmonton. 2 races. 3 people in hospital, 1 dead, and a ton of collateral damage.

The alarm bells ring when you listen to the news report, because as usual you hear the same things you hear every time theres a streetrace crash.

"16 year old driver"
and "Modified (insert car here)"

This is the part where i take extreme exception to the blame of streetracing.
it is a simple fact that 16-20 year old males are pretty friggin dumb.
I was one. we all know what its like to feel 10 foot tall and bulletproof.
Unfortunately there are some pretty stupid parents in this world who think that buying little 16 year old johnny an SRT4 is teaching him "responsibility" and that he will just putter it back and forth to school at the speedlimit. (a 16 year old in an SRT4 killed his passenger last weekend in one of those crashes)
Or maybe a 17 year old with a brand new BMW m3? (a 17 year old lost control, hit a curb, spun across oncoming traffic twice, hit a pole, and landed his car on top of a hyundai dealership display car, the engine of the BMW was sitting on the road completely separate from the car)

It is time society started looking for the source of the problem.
young guys are always gonna be young and stupid. we know that.
So when a young reckless guy is handed the keys to a vehicle FAR more powerful than he should be driving, at a time where at that age, they THINK they are professional race drivers, and in truth at that age we barely know what were doing behind the wheel.

Maybe the parent should do the hard time and pay the property damage fines,they are the true cause of the accident here.

I ask you, how many times have you seen a 16 year old in an aveo light em up at the line and race. or maybe 2 trackers racing down anthony henday?
not likely.

Time for parents to wake up and have a good think about what your buying for your kids.

young males are always gonna be reckless. you cant change that.
Fines, and car crushing wont help.
putting them behind the wheel of a safe, reliable commuter vehicle will sure help though.
and at least give them a few years of truely learning how to drive properly, so hopefully when it does come time that they can afford a fast car of their own, they have cooled down a little and have the intelligence to take it to the track, or at least away from the city streets.
Old 08-08-2006, 04:44 PM

Good points, but a foot in the ass will stop retardation. If you put the fear of God in your teenager, they will listen. You just can't be a weak parent. How many here remember when they were a teenager and THOUGHT they could take the old man and the old man rolled you up like a pretzel? I know I sure do, and it kept my ass from doing something stupid. Parents let your kids know who's boss.
Old 08-08-2006, 04:53 PM

By fear of God, you mean fear of parents...right?

And good point anOmalous...could not imagine myself driving my car 10 years ago, people would be hurting!
Old 08-08-2006, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by an0malous
*snip*
"16 year old driver"
and "Modified (insert car here)"

This is the part where i take extreme exception to the blame of streetracing.
it is a simple fact that 16-20 year old males are pretty friggin dumb.
I was one. we all know what its like to feel 10 foot tall and bulletproof.
*snip*
I agree. I remeber being like that. I actually lost my (ex)girlfriend to that attitude (one that i could have still of been in today and im 23 now and i JUST fixed it... it took 5 years). i was a "tough guy" and thought thats what girls liked. (Threatened to beat the **** out of one of her closest friends). Mixing the testosterone imbalance that growing up brings with a car is just formula for disaster.

My first car was a 89 integra. 118ish hp and was crazy slow. But i drove faster in that car than i do with my 205 hp supercharged cobalt. why? Well i know respect and i have seen whats happened. I also know i am NOT invincible... nor is the innocent people i could hurt/kill.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:02 AM

seemingly, women can be as bad... I know that I was with my old car and rarely am with this car but still once in a while do play around.. mind you... I do it at 3-4am when there is hardly anyone on the streets, and it's only a little bit.. not full out... but hey.. it's still stupid, and I realise that..... The street races however is one place I will not race my car... there are WAY too many stupid idiots that like you say think they're invincible! That is why I am part of a car club that is working with Calgary's race city to take street racing off the streets and bring it to the track on secret street night..... The club is currently working on getting secret street to go on saturdays which is the big street racing night here. But hey.. lets see how it goes!
Old 08-09-2006, 02:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by redsuperchargedgirl
seemingly, women can be as bad... I know that I was with my old car and rarely am with this car but still once in a while do play around.. mind you... I do it at 3-4am when there is hardly anyone on the streets, and it's only a little bit.. not full out... but hey.. it's still stupid, and I realise that..... The street races however is one place I will not race my car... there are WAY too many stupid idiots that like you say think they're invincible! That is why I am part of a car club that is working with Calgary's race city to take street racing off the streets and bring it to the track on secret street night..... The club is currently working on getting secret street to go on saturdays which is the big street racing night here. But hey.. lets see how it goes!

heyyy that is great to hear. while i was out experiencing calgarys saturday nite rice meeting at the timmys, first thing i said to my bud was "why dont they run secret street tonight too and get this crap off the street"

makes alot of sense. hope it goes ahead.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:01 PM

I do too... Talk to it more with the girl that I'm crashing with at the hotel, she'll be out with me.. she's one of the club coordinators... she meets up with Race City and the Police almost every week.... She'll be driving a red SRT-4 with black stripes
Old 08-10-2006, 03:05 PM

good stuff edmonton needs something liek that
Old 08-10-2006, 03:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by StinkBOMB
Good points, but a foot in the ass will stop retardation. If you put the fear of God in your teenager, they will listen. You just can't be a weak parent. How many here remember when they were a teenager and THOUGHT they could take the old man and the old man rolled you up like a pretzel? I know I sure do, and it kept my ass from doing something stupid. Parents let your kids know who's boss.
What scares me is the number of parents nowadays that want to be the "cool" parents. Obviously at some point they were shunned by their own peer group, so now they want to be the envy of their kids' friends. So what do they do? They buy their kids sports cars that are WAY too fast for them, they throw keggers for them, and they basically let their kids tell THEM what to do.

A few years ago the validictorian for a local high school where I grew up got an early graduation present - a brand new Firebird Trans-Am WS6. Obviously this was a smart girl with a lot going for her, popular, an athlete, and obviously smart. So what happened to her? Where is she now? Harvard? Law school or maybe med school somewhere? Nope. Dead. Because mom and dad wanted SO BADLY to be liked by her friends that not only did they buy her the car, they also let her take her sister's ID and go out drinking for a weekend. On the way home she passed out behind the wheel and struck a truck head on at approx 90mph and was killed instantly.
Old 08-10-2006, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by alleycat58
What scares me is the number of parents nowadays that want to be the "cool" parents. Obviously at some point they were shunned by their own peer group, so now they want to be the envy of their kids' friends. So what do they do? They buy their kids sports cars that are WAY too fast for them, they throw keggers for them, and they basically let their kids tell THEM what to do.

A few years ago the validictorian for a local high school where I grew up got an early graduation present - a brand new Firebird Trans-Am WS6. Obviously this was a smart girl with a lot going for her, popular, an athlete, and obviously smart. So what happened to her? Where is she now? Harvard? Law school or maybe med school somewhere? Nope. Dead. Because mom and dad wanted SO BADLY to be liked by her friends that not only did they buy her the car, they also let her take her sister's ID and go out drinking for a weekend. On the way home she passed out behind the wheel and struck a truck head on at approx 90mph and was killed instantly.
jesus i agree i absolutly HATE those parents that dont give a ****.

christ i remeber sneaking booze around but because i had to do that i NEVER drank and drove or did anything off the wall stupid cause i didnt wanna get busted
Old 08-10-2006, 07:56 PM

haha I completely agree!
Old 08-10-2006, 08:01 PM

I started drinking in High School, but I didn't advertise it and my parents would have beat me if they knew. I also never have and never will drive while drunk. The whole foot in the ass thing really made the appeal of getting caught low.