Canadian Mid West NW Territories, Alberta, Saskatchewan

thoughts on cold air intake.......

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 03:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thoughts on cold air intake.......

k, so I'm looking at buying a cold air intake BUT... I looked up a few at work and the ONLY one I found in my book (that lists the 05 but not 06) says that the K&N only gains 8.1HP..... I haven't been able to look up too much through work and I can't look at everything cause I don't have the resources or time but I would like some help finding a good cold air with your guys' and few gals' opinions.

I've heard that some of you have gained up to 12HP and others gained none... therefore, help lol.. I was wondering which cold air intake systems you guys have found works best for you.... I know that all cars are different but if I can find something that works for most, I'll be a lot more confident in my choice.......
thanks
Pascale
Old 07-06-2006, 03:30 AM

You know it is funny how things work. I was going to log on here tonight while at work and ask this same damn question. I have searched the site for just about every tread on Cold Air Intakes and am still undecided. Your Cobalt knowledge would be greatly appriecated folks.

RED, I apologize for treading on your post.
Old 07-06-2006, 03:33 AM

Question

Hey.. it's cool..... I don't feel like such a ******* that way lol.. it's nice to know other people have the same question!! I've done the same thing (reading the threads) It just didn't help at all lol!
Old 07-06-2006, 03:35 AM

From experiance, i wouldn't go with an Injen intake...fitment problems galore. My next CAI will be AEM. I've never dealt with AEM before, but i've heard good things about it. Not sure about a CEL, but I guess i can live with one.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a lot of people like the injen and it is a nice intake, just most people are turned off by the price of the intakes for our cars. i have also heard that the original designs for the intake made it a bitch and a half to install...but then again...the way most of these intakes bolt leaves very little room to manuever.

personally i have the xtc intake which we prototyped on my car and made and got a dyno proven 10 hp. ive seen all the other intakes on cars and i think as far as gains universally they all are very close to one another in that aspect so i would suggest picking something a. in your price range or what you are willing to spend b. what you find most eye pleasing and c. something that has gotten a decent review from members.

just my .02 not that it really helps.lol ive just been around here long enough to read about 100 posts on the same topic. LOL
Old 07-06-2006, 12:32 PM

Ya, I have an Injen, sounds great but fitment problems make it undesirable. If anything I think I would go with the K&N. The reason you don't hear about it very often is because no one has any problems with it.

AEM is a great brand but they dissapointed me when they didn't make a full tube, the plastic tube gm gives stock has a large kink at the top which i think should be gone, but it is also the best intake to fool techs for warranty. Unless the open your wheel well they would never know.

The xtc and JBP intakes look quite sturdy but since i have never seen one or really heard to much about them i can't really comment. But sometimes buying from the little guys means you get a quality product vs. a mass produced ones (crappy injen) and you usually get good customer service as well.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:38 PM

I love Injen, best numbers. However I do have the old model and doesn't fit right. I'm exchanging soon. All my friends have injen and there are no complaints, I just wish they got it right the first time!
Old 07-06-2006, 12:39 PM

i would go with the injen!!!
Old 07-06-2006, 12:41 PM

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lsj-performance-tech-47/ss-sc-intakes-15911/
Old 07-06-2006, 01:31 PM

Does intake even void warranty? Im pretty sure my dealership doesnt give 2 *****. All they have around the building is pics of modified GM cars and my salesman is the ****! hes freaking awesome and probably knows i was buying it just to mod it!

Im torn between Injen (since the newer models have 0 fitting issues, least thats the rumor), K&N because they've always made quality products and that XTC one looks pretty feckin sweet.

I as well am a lil angered at AEM's laziness. They have a superior name in the intake division with other vehicles... i wonder why they just decided to give a filter for the cobalt?

oh well.

Im going to mimic bad girls cobalt... but ill make mine dark blue/black instead of purple haha
Old 07-06-2006, 02:27 PM

^^^ i hope u have a lot of money and a good job, LOL im just messin...
Old 07-06-2006, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by badg1rl
^^^ i hope u have a lot of money and a good job, LOL im just messin...

Nope, but i have a big visa!

Of course i was just kidding, though i wouldnt mind the kit you have its just SICK i love it!
Old 07-06-2006, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Apex
I as well am a lil angered at AEM's laziness. They have a superior name in the intake division with other vehicles... i wonder why they just decided to give a filter for the cobalt?
My guess, knowing that AEM generally does put time and effort into their products, is that they tested the full pipe and didn't get any consistent difference between that and the design they went with. May as well go that route and save their customers some money. They do have the cheapest one on the market, right?
Old 07-06-2006, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Tomtwtwtw
My guess, knowing that AEM generally does put time and effort into their products, is that they tested the full pipe and didn't get any consistent difference between that and the design they went with. May as well go that route and save their customers some money. They do have the cheapest one on the market, right?
You are 100% correct!
I forgot to add this fact in my Review. Oh and no CEL!
Old 07-06-2006, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by redsuperchargedgirl
k, so I'm looking at buying a cold air intake BUT... I looked up a few at work and the ONLY one I found in my book (that lists the 05 but not 06) says that the K&N only gains 8.1HP..... I haven't been able to look up too much through work and I can't look at everything cause I don't have the resources or time but I would like some help finding a good cold air with your guys' and few gals' opinions.

I've heard that some of you have gained up to 12HP and others gained none... therefore, help lol.. I was wondering which cold air intake systems you guys have found works best for you.... I know that all cars are different but if I can find something that works for most, I'll be a lot more confident in my choice.......
thanks
Pascale

Please take some time and read my review!
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums//showthread.php?t=23780
Old 07-06-2006, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Tomtwtwtw
Ah, i was unaware! thanks for the heads up and renewing my faith in AEM

Ill probably go with them.

Hey Denny, how does it sound? Pretty loud?
Old 07-06-2006, 05:55 PM

my 2 cents

this is just my opinion but it you look at the aftermarket CAI available and the amount of space for your current stock setup i dont see a huge benefit to buying a CAI.

to me i think the most effecient way to upgrade is a drop in filter. for around $50 dollars you can get a drop in filter and a 45 degree silicon elbow and you have the same effect.
while this will not be pretty i personally cant justify more than $200 dollars for the k&n or the injen.
in my mind if you put in a 45 degree silicone bend where the throttle body attaches to intake (to elninate the ribbed portion of the stock tube which cause some turbulance) and put a high flow filter on the end you would see identical gains for much less money.
i will be putting this to the test very soon. and ill for sure keep everybody posted.

ive been looking and to me all the aem cai is an aftermarket filter with 3 inces of tubing to make install easier.

that being said what up on the weapon r intake for the 2.0?

and ive seen the origianl injens in black and i thought they looked real sharp.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by SSpartan
this is just my opinion but it you look at the aftermarket CAI available and the amount of space for your current stock setup i dont see a huge benefit to buying a CAI.

to me i think the most effecient way to upgrade is a drop in filter. for around $50 dollars you can get a drop in filter and a 45 degree silicon elbow and you have the same effect.
while this will not be pretty i personally cant justify more than $200 dollars for the k&n or the injen.
in my mind if you put in a 45 degree silicone bend where the throttle body attaches to intake (to elninate the ribbed portion of the stock tube which cause some turbulance) and put a high flow filter on the end you would see identical gains for much less money.
i will be putting this to the test very soon. and ill for sure keep everybody posted.

ive been looking and to me all the aem cai is an aftermarket filter with 3 inces of tubing to make install easier.

that being said what up on the weapon r intake for the 2.0?

and ive seen the origianl injens in black and i thought they looked real sharp.
problems with the "drop intake" youre talking about is the extremely hot air that will be taken in from the engine bay...i tried that on a Z24...chopped up my long tube and just ran a shorty drop intake down off the TB...was a bad choice. not to mention the extra vacuum line that connects to the black intake tube, at least on the SS/SC. Also, with the AEM, it keeps the MAF sensor right in place where it needs to be...you remove that or mess with it too much, and you might end up with a CEL...this was just my .02
Old 07-06-2006, 08:26 PM

I gotta Typhoon K&N in my SS fits perfectly sounds nice and to me K&N is one of the best, i had an 03 lancer with AEM no problems sounded great and i gained 11hp with that one in my mitsu. but i would look at AEM/Typhoon By K&N or Fujita all great brands and honestly its a piece of tube that u can make yourself, it doesnt really matter what brand u get there all pretty much the samething.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:42 AM

I was thinking about getting a CAI for my cobalt but after the crazy rain tonight i am having second thoughts, driving through the foot deep puddle on mcload and heritage might have been deep enough to suck water up.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by ecotecon18s
problems with the "drop intake" youre talking about is the extremely hot air that will be taken in from the engine bay...i tried that on a Z24...chopped up my long tube and just ran a shorty drop intake down off the TB...was a bad choice. not to mention the extra vacuum line that connects to the black intake tube, at least on the SS/SC. Also, with the AEM, it keeps the MAF sensor right in place where it needs to be...you remove that or mess with it too much, and you might end up with a CEL...this was just my .02
The SS S/C filter is already in the fender pulling cold air, but it has a restrictive box around it. All the CAIs on the market follow the same path as the stock piping.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:48 AM

HOLY HORNY HOOKERS BATMAN! It's a car not a BOAT.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:55 AM

ok for the 189798734297634974 25 millionth time

The difference between CAI's and CAI whether you make it yourself or buy a fancy polished one is going to be within the range of 1 hp perhaps 2. This is not wheel HP this is going to be at the crank so it doesn't matter. The stock setup is actually not to bad and with some work you can turn it into a really good CAI. See sig.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Apex
Ah, i was unaware! thanks for the heads up and renewing my faith in AEM

Ill probably go with them.

Hey Denny, how does it sound? Pretty loud?

Nice and Loud
Old 07-07-2006, 11:29 AM

Air Box Mod works wonders!! Still looks stock with the SC whine and increased performance (Little-bit). No CEL! No worries! and very cheap

Quick Reply: thoughts on cold air intake.......