Canadian North East Quebec, New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia

Nova Scotia - Aware Me

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nova Scotia - Aware Me

Hey Guys

So I was looking to (and really preferred/wanted) a Saturn Ion Redline,
but there's just so little availability in Canada. It's really a downer.

I was looking into the SS or SS/TC as they're still within the ecotec platform and pretty
much the same car.

However, few things I don't really like.

-Gauge/cluster is in behind the wheel instead of in the middle
-no quad coupe (2 doors is a PITA, 4 looks not as good IMO)
-Metal instead of plastic (will rust)

So I was wondering, can you guys give me some insight to the Cobalt SS's and basically help me get over my little conniption fit I have everytime I consider a cobalt instead of a redline?

Also I don't have a garage, so would my car remain rust-free if I bought a portable garage and just had it in there for the winter?

Just wondering.
So, help convince me! Currently drive a 2005 ion-2 , and am really in love with saturns, but obviously Cobalt SS would be more practical rather than travelling to ontario/alberta where most of the Redlines seem to be.

Anyways,
Thanks , and hi I'm Jeff!
Old 05-22-2013, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get a Toyota echo, they're about as fast as a tc, have the guage cluster in the middle and you can get a coupe and cut back doors in it with a mini grinder to give it weight reduction and a sportier feel also making the back more accessible. Probably get one for 1/10 of the price in Nova Scotia compared to a cobalt as well.

You can put the echo in storage every winter if you call around to places that store cars for the winter (as it would get quite cold with said weight reduction/accessibility) which would be the best solution compared to the pop up garage which don't keep moisture out.

Can't really go wrong.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts
get a mini cooper

well anyway i'm yet to see rust on my cobalts fenders, and that goes for the million other cobalts i've seen. i think they come with a factory rust inhibitor on the chassis (not that my chassis has no rust but neither would the redline)

i agree the 4 door cobalts roof line makes them less attractive. ive had nothing but coupes since i was 16 and really having folding seats to get people in and out once in a while is no big deal. if you have a baby maybe i'd retract that statement

and the cobalt ss/sc is the same car as the redline minus a few suspension differences i think so really its about looks and thats about it
Old 05-24-2013, 09:56 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
just get some rain guards changes the roof line appearance..