Canadian North Pacific AK, British Columbia, Yukon [regional map]

Rear Brakes and GM warranty in general

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 11:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Brakes and GM warranty in general

Now we all know the SS turbos have problems in the rear brake system, I just want to let everyone know about my experiences with GM so far about getting warranty work done.

At 1500kms I noticed the scorching and grooving of the rotors and noises from the rear brakes. I brought the vehicle into Preston Chevrolet in Langley to have the rear inspected. They gave the car back and said it was normal for both the marks and the noises. They noted it was due to "high metallic content for the performance pads". Despite of me arguing they sent me on my way.

I tried several times to book in for service appointments but found that they would need my car for up to a whole day but I needed my vehicle for work so I could not. (They would not give me a rental, only rides to and from work)

At 38000 kms, while my car was towed to Barnes Wheaton south surrey for a exploded roll pin and the service air bag light, I decided to ask for the rear brakes to be inspected. They also said they would do the powersteering recall at the same time. When I picked up the car, the brakes were not noted in the work order and the service department had closed already so reception had no idea what was going on.

A week later, my airbag light came on so I called them and they told me to bring it down again. Brought it down, they kept it for a whole day then told me that they needed to order a harness for it, asked me to call back in 2 -3 weeks.

I brought the car in 3 weeks for the airbag and they finally put the work order to check my brakes after I asked specifically to have it looked at this time as they keep missing it. They call me after half a day and say that I needed new rotors/pads because the inboard was at 0 percent while the outer has still 4 mil left, but it wont be under warranty because its normal for the piston side to wear more. Oh and sorry, we also dont have the right harness so come back in 2 weeks again.

After that bullshit I called GM and wrote in an email, I got a call after the weekend and all they can do is talk to the service manager (which i already did) and then maybe send a warranty manager or manufactuer technician to determine weather it should be warrantied.

**** You GM I ******* hate dealing with you guys.

sorry for the rant ss.net
Old 10-18-2010, 11:44 PM

Don't blame GM for a crappy dealership. We have all dealt with crappy dealers. Now the bigger problem is GM never having the parts that we need when they break.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:49 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
how long is the warranty for "Brakes"? 12k miles? my car is parked...and I'm lazy
Old 10-20-2010, 12:36 PM

The problem essentially is at both levels. Dealerships wont cover your warranty since they in term cannot recieve payment for the work done from GM. If dealerships can get reimbursed for warranty work from GM then they would be glad to do any warranty work.

Warranty for brakes usually is only for the 1st year, but the 3 year 60 000kms coverage bumper to bumper will need to cover my caliper malfunctions which is causing my problems on the pad/rotor.

Furthermore, I tried doing my brakes last night, but found out that the dealership had fucked me over yet again by putting an impact gun to the wheellock key. They had asked for my wheel lock key when i dropped my car off. The wheel lock key is now so mangled that I cannot remove one of my rear wheels to do my brakes. The wierd thing is I only have that 1 wheel lock, the other 3 has been swapped for regular lug nuts.

I checked the side that does not have a wheel lock key and pulled the pins out, no grease, bone dry, yet the dealership tries to tell me that they could not find anything irregular about my brakes.

Guess I'll have to go back in and talk to the owner