Cobalt SS Vendor Reviews Please post your first hand service experience with Cobalt SS vendors.

Turbo Tech Racing LNF Intake Manifold!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 03:20 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ huh?
Old 10-20-2012, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
agreed^^^
Old 10-20-2012, 04:17 PM
TTR Powered

Originally Posted by 09BlackSSIL385
I was making 360wtq on stock turbo and stock manifold. So don't go giving me that 348max tq crap Rich
william? Lol
Old 10-20-2012, 05:32 PM

sweeeeeeet!

gonna have to pick one of these up!!
Old 10-20-2012, 05:36 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Def getting one next year.......increased mpg for the win
Old 10-20-2012, 06:25 PM
TTR Powered

Originally Posted by alerosaint
Def getting one next year.......increased mpg for the win

Increased Performance with MPG FTW!
Old 10-20-2012, 07:18 PM

So...this would void my PT warranty, correct? If so, I'd get it after it runs out.

Looks like a good product. I'd suggest updating the pictures on the website as soon as the first one comes out with cleaner welds.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:30 PM
TTR Powered

Originally Posted by serega12
So...this would void my PT warranty, correct? If so, I'd get it after it runs out.

Looks like a good product. I'd suggest updating the pictures on the website as soon as the first one comes out with cleaner welds.

Well most all GM Dealerships will void the warranty on just a simple cold air intake or drop in filter.
Its stupid and lame. But even with this manifold, if you have to get warranty service done. Just swap them around with the stock one. Only 30-40mins to install lol

As most people do anyways

But yes, this is a great product. And i'm sure Aaron at TTR will possibly update the pictures once they are done.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:50 PM
Premium Member

Technically they're only allowed to void the warranty if they can prove that's the reason for the issue.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:29 PM
Former Vendor

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by StruttinSoul
Technically they're only allowed to void the warranty if they can prove that's the reason for the issue.
You are 100% right on.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:01 PM

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
What kind of gains can I expect to see on lightly modded K04 lnf?. With bolt-ons such as intake, DP, charge pipes, and Ic running 24-25 lbs?
Edit: w 93 octane

Last edited by LNFwagonSS; 10-20-2012 at 10:03 PM. Reason: 93
Old 10-20-2012, 10:06 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by LNFwagonSS
What kind of gains can I expect to see on lightly modded K04 lnf?. With bolt-ons such as intake, DP, charge pipes, and Ic running 24-25 lbs?
Edit: w 93 octane
I would estimate you will see similar results such as Richard's. 10+ HP and 20+ torque.

IMO Richard could see even more gain effect with the TTR Manifold due to the additional flow allowing the tune to be more aggressive than he currently is. All he did was basically swap out manifolds and he got the added gains.

As far as the price, there are not many bolt on mods (example exhaust) which cost around $600 that even come close to offering this much increase in performance.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:14 PM
TTR Powered

Originally Posted by TurboTechRacing
I would estimate you will see similar results such as Richard's. 10+ HP and 20+ torque.

IMO Richard could see even more gain effect with the TTR Manifold due to the additional flow allowing the tune to be more aggressive than he currently is. All he did was basically swap out manifolds and he got the added gains.

As far as the price, there are not many bolt on mods (example exhaust) which cost around $600 that even come close to offering this much increase in performance.

Very true.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:35 AM
Former Vendor

Old 10-21-2012, 01:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What kind of flow bench testing or CFD analysis did you guys do on this design? How did you guys make sure that each of the cylinders is recieving the same volume of air?
Old 10-21-2012, 06:09 PM

question, with GMS1 and no tune, can this help or it needs to be tuned for?
Old 10-21-2012, 06:45 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by AaronJ
What kind of flow bench testing or CFD analysis did you guys do on this design? How did you guys make sure that each of the cylinders is recieving the same volume of air?
Each runner has equal space from each runner to the next, along with equal runner length, directed to the large plenum. The plenum has a "V" shape to it, not allowing any dead spots. Our manifold has a better runner length than the stock one has, which 1 and 4 are longer than 2 and 3 (Stock does not even have a plenum, which is a huge helper on the TTR manifold)... Also you have to remember the plenum is pressurized on this engine (most of the time).

Never the less this manifold style is used on many applications (Honda, Cobalt, BMW, etc.).
Old 10-21-2012, 06:46 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by wol-shiver
question, with GMS1 and no tune, can this help or it needs to be tuned for?
I will have to have James answer this for sure, however I would assume if you have the GM stage 1 and just switch out manifolds you will see a power gain and will not need a tune. However a tune would give you even more power, than the base GM stage 1.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:28 PM
Banned

You will see a power gain , but best gains come with a tune so the ECM doesn't have to compensate for the trim change..
Old 10-21-2012, 08:47 PM

Each runner has equal space from each runner to the next, along with equal runner length, directed to the large plenum. The plenum has a "V" shape to it, not allowing any dead spots. Our manifold has a better runner length than the stock one has, which 1 and 4 are longer than 2 and 3 (Stock does not even have a plenum, which is a huge helper on the TTR manifold)... Also you have to remember the plenum is pressurized on this engine (most of the time).

Never the less this manifold style is used on many applications (Honda, Cobalt, BMW, etc.).
Ok, but how is the runner length better than the stock one? Is it because they are shorter? What range of rpm is the manifold resonance tuned for? Did you guys decide to stick with just one reflection, or did you guys decide to design it for two? Do you guys know what the stock one was designed for? I'd also like to point out that just because the manifold is "V" shaped doesn't necessarily mean there won't be dead spots or vortices forming that will hinder performance. As your air velocity increases or decreases (depending on the diameter/size), the angle of the optimal "V" shape changes so that you don't have fluid seperation from the wall of the "V", creating vortices.

The reason I'm asking these questions is because even though you made more power with this intake manifold, I'm curious to see if you guys actually engineered this to provide the most performance, or if you guys just stumbled across a design that provided minor performance increases. If people are going to spend this kind of coin on an intake manifold, I'd like to see that it is the best design possible. TTR would sell more, and the Cobalt community would benefit by having more powerful cars running around. As a mechanical engineer who has worked on designing an intake manifold for a formula car, I have a lot of questions about your design.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by aaronj
ok, but how is the runner length better than the stock one? Is it because they are shorter? What range of rpm is the manifold resonance tuned for? Did you guys decide to stick with just one reflection, or did you guys decide to design it for two? Do you guys know what the stock one was designed for? I'd also like to point out that just because the manifold is "v" shaped doesn't necessarily mean there won't be dead spots or vortices forming that will hinder performance. As your air velocity increases or decreases (depending on the diameter/size), the angle of the optimal "v" shape changes so that you don't have fluid seperation from the wall of the "v", creating vortices.

The reason i'm asking these questions is because even though you made more power with this intake manifold, i'm curious to see if you guys actually engineered this to provide the most performance, or if you guys just stumbled across a design that provided minor performance increases. If people are going to spend this kind of coin on an intake manifold, i'd like to see that it is the best design possible. Ttr would sell more, and the cobalt community would benefit by having more powerful cars running around. As a mechanical engineer who has worked on designing an intake manifold for a formula car, i have a lot of questions about your design.
^^^ ??x2
Old 10-21-2012, 09:25 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Chevycobaltss3
You will see a power gain , but best gains come with a tune so the ECM doesn't have to compensate for the trim change..
Thanks for the help.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:32 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by AaronJ
Ok, but how is the runner length better than the stock one? Is it because they are shorter? What range of rpm is the manifold resonance tuned for? Did you guys decide to stick with just one reflection, or did you guys decide to design it for two? Do you guys know what the stock one was designed for? I'd also like to point out that just because the manifold is "V" shaped doesn't necessarily mean there won't be dead spots or vortices forming that will hinder performance. As your air velocity increases or decreases (depending on the diameter/size), the angle of the optimal "V" shape changes so that you don't have fluid seperation from the wall of the "V", creating vortices.

The reason I'm asking these questions is because even though you made more power with this intake manifold, I'm curious to see if you guys actually engineered this to provide the most performance, or if you guys just stumbled across a design that provided minor performance increases. If people are going to spend this kind of coin on an intake manifold, I'd like to see that it is the best design possible. TTR would sell more, and the Cobalt community would benefit by having more powerful cars running around. As a mechanical engineer who has worked on designing an intake manifold for a formula car, I have a lot of questions about your design.
Manifold was assisted by fundamental theory, but was actually more based on physical testing. 99% of the products on the market don’t even offer a dyno chart. As you can see we took it above that, as ours had been tested for months. Could it be possibly better? Yes, there is always room for improvement on everything in this world; however being we wanted a direct bolt on, there was limitations on what we could change. We feel this is the best direct bolt on intake manifold we could produce with the criteria we set forth.

Manifold was assisted by fundamental therory, but was actually more based on physical testing.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:34 PM
Banned

the design of the manifold took ttr and I about 2months to design it.. First design was to much of a box with uneven flow to runners due to the throttle body so close to 1/2 cylinders. The design now has the tapers edges to help increase the flow to 1/4 but also give 2/3 the same amount of flow. 1/4 being furthest from the cylinder... This actually helps with the higher egts in cylinders.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:19 PM

Manifold was assisted by fundamental theory, but was actually more based on physical testing. 99% of the products on the market don’t even offer a dyno chart. As you can see we took it above that, as ours had been tested for months. Could it be possibly better? Yes, there is always room for improvement on everything in this world; however being we wanted a direct bolt on, there was limitations on what we could change. We feel this is the best direct bolt on intake manifold we could produce with the criteria we set forth.

Manifold was assisted by fundamental therory, but was actually more based on physical testing.

Ok. Sorry if I came off as attacking this product, I was just asking some really specific questions.

and hey, there are only two manifolds on the market right now: stock and yours. I'm sure this product will be quite popular.

Originally Posted by Chevycobaltss3
the design of the manifold took ttr and I about 2months to design it.. First design was to much of a box with uneven flow to runners due to the throttle body so close to 1/2 cylinders. The design now has the tapers edges to help increase the flow to 1/4 but also give 2/3 the same amount of flow. 1/4 being furthest from the cylinder... This actually helps with the higher egts in cylinders.
That's a better answer. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Turbo Tech Racing LNF Intake Manifold!!