Drag Racing Kindle Racing and Dalcorp Racing

Can someone give me pointers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can someone give me pointers?

Im goin to the track pretty soon and i wanna know how to drive the car perfecrly....like:

What should I rev at?

Do I feather out of the clutch while taking off?

At what RPM do i shift at (when does poerband end)?

Also, what times do you think ill get...im in southern texas to give you an idea of elevation..

P.S. I am bone stock, including tires.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:33 PM

i hold it at 2k then i slip the clutch and just take it up to redline.
Old 01-06-2007, 02:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On stock tires? My best time stock was just taking of normally. No revving, just as soon as that light hits the last yellow, taking off light I would any other place, just much faster. I had the fastest stock time in the official 1/4 times under the stock category for months (it was my first time at the track too) doing it this way.

Also watch out for wheel hop. If It hops too much let off the gas a little bit more the next time.
Old 01-06-2007, 02:30 PM

When mine was stock , I got the fastest time leaving off idle and easing into the trottle as opposed to WOT off the bat . Theres no point in launching at a higher RPM , itll just be easier to wheelhop .

Just be REALLY conservative and smooth when u launch . You dont really wanna slip the clutch at all , its really hard on it and probably the nuber 1 cause of early clutch failure . Just try to nail the perfect marrige of easing off the clutch qwickly and easing in on the trottle smoothly . When ya get the car moving ....mash it . I shifted 1-2 and 2-3 at redline , but .....in my car I had actually had to shift at like 6300 on the tach to not touch the rev limiter . Im saying this because Ive seen to many SS guys do this .....go thru the traps in 3rd gear , dont shift into 4th

Once u get it down and pending what track your at ( HRP ? HMP ? ) you should beable to get times anywhere from 14.1-14.4@98-100 mph . If its really humid and the air quality is not to good , add about a 1/2 sec to those times and mph can fall to 96-98mph area .

Bone stock on the stock pirelli's my best time in cool dry air was 14.23@99 and it humid air was 14.5@97 . My 60 ft's were almost always in the 2.2's unless I really boned the lauch .

**If you wheel hop , get completely out of the gas immediately . Wheel hop can break an axle and can also fracture your transmission housing allowing fluid to leak onto your clutch . While a car is wheel hopping you may as well be bangin on your driveline components with a big sledge hammer
Old 01-07-2007, 02:27 AM

I do the exact same thing there. He was much more descriptive.

Only thing I would change is that I've heard that shifting at 5500 with first gear will get you in the perfect spot for the second gear powerband. Then again, that might be more so with my setup.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:32 AM

i havent done the quarter, but i got the best stock 1/8 mile time that i have seen by doing the exact same thing that these guys are telling you. also dont mash the gas until you are sure that you can get a decent amount of traction in first gear... otherwise, hoppity hop hop it is! i gave it about 3/4 throttle until i was at around 3k or so, then i floored it. its a little different for every car though.
Old 01-07-2007, 04:10 AM

Try to remember all of this best you can. Everything here is gonna work great. But whats really gonna get you the best times is practice. Nothing is gonna beat that.
Old 01-07-2007, 04:22 AM

....a big thing that help me ALOT launching the car at the track , is in just everyday driving . Know exactly what point in the clutch pedal travel the clutch engages and releases . Like with mine , I barely have to push my pedal in to fully engage the clutch . So , for me anyways ...theres no sense in pushing the pedal all the way in because as Im applying throttle , I wouldnt be to the point on the clutch pedal where it fully releases yet . Therefore causing the car to jerk or the clutch to slip ect ect ( hope u get what Im trying to explain there ) Also ... Everytime u leave from a light or a stop noticeably attempt to get moving without slipping the clutch at all . Over time , even in low speed normal driving , your feet will just get naturally accustom to the motions and launching at the track will be easy as hell . That helped me more than anything .

Lots of good advice in here from all