Drag Racing Kindle Racing and Dalcorp Racing

Going to the track Sunday

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 08:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cobaltR
not too bad...get some more traction mods to get those 60's down...
His 60's aren't 2.4 because of traction, a 2.4 60' in an auto 2.2 is pretty much spot-on launch.

Remember, this isn't a stick car where you can rev up and feather the clutch. He can't rev much beyond 2.5k without a stalled tq converter.

Originally Posted by NWAE Cobalt
BS
i run a 15.4 in an ls cobalt without any power adder...
your full of it hack
Don't you have a 5 speed? Your comparing apples to pears. Yes, it's close, but automatics have a serious disadvantage at 2.2 power levels because of gearing, drivetrain loss, and the launch

Last edited by HackAbuse; 12-06-2008 at 08:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-06-2008, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thats a good 60' time, it could get a lil better, but for not many traction mods your doing good

Originally Posted by HackAbuse
His 60's aren't 2.4 because of traction, a 2.4 60' in an auto 2.2 is pretty much spot-on launch.

Remember, this isn't a stick car where you can rev up and feather the clutch. He can't rev much beyond 2.5k without a stalled tq converter.

Don't you have a 5 speed? Your comparing apples to pears. Yes, it's close, but automatics have a serious disadvantage at 2.2 power levels because of gearing, drivetrain loss, and the launch
wrong...get tuned and they can do just fine...mel and i have launched the 2.2 base with a tune and exhaust and my 2.2 with intake, header, dp, tune, exhaust...i obviosuly pull on her, but by about 70 mph she is only behing by a car...with his mods he would be really close to keeping up

Last edited by NWAE Cobalt; 12-06-2008 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-06-2008, 08:32 PM

not bad man.. it's better then i did the first time at the track lol .. i couldn't even hit low 16's the first track visit..

you should be able to hit like a 15.8 with your mods.. maybe mid 15 after a tune.. shouldn't be that hard though
Old 12-06-2008, 08:32 PM

thats a good 60' time, it could get a lil better, but for not many traction mods your doing good
Like I said, try driving a 2.2 auto at the track, I garantee he has absolutely no traction issues.

I had no traction issues with 225 street tires launching out of the hole with a 90 shot. The automatic soaks up a lot of power, and is able to keep wheelspin completely out of sight. Any lower times will be attributed to top end power on his cobalt.

Increasing his timing along with higher octane, and 7000rpm shift points may drop his ET by .2-.3 seconds, but it won't get much better than that without a power adder
Old 12-06-2008, 08:33 PM

Like I said, try driving a 2.2 auto at the track, I garantee he has absolutely no traction issues.

I had no traction issues with 225 street tires launching out of the hole with a 90 shot. The automatic soaks up a lot of power, and is able to keep wheelspin completely out of sight. Any lower times will be attributed to top end power on his cobalt.

Increasing his timing along with higher octane, and 7000rpm shift points may drop his ET by .2-.3 seconds, but it won't get much better than that without a power adder
yes it can hack...you dont have to have power adders to be quick...thats just the easy way out of things. a good tune, some tq management removal, higher shift points, timing, better gas, and some diff launching tech could easily land him in the 15.6-15.5 range
Old 12-06-2008, 08:35 PM

wrong...get tuned and they can do just fine...mel and i have launched the 2.2 base with a tune and exhaust and my 2.2 with intake, header, dp, tune, exhaust...i obviosuly pull on her, but by about 70 mph she is only behing by a car...with his mods he would be really close to keeping up
The difference is at the track. Does Mel have any traction issues with anything besides stock continentals?

At the track, you can launch better than you can on the street, while Mel would have the same launch as on the street. That's the big difference here.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:36 PM

did you get hop? because i barely spin that the track but i was getting hop and that was ******* me over.. and my hop was at just about the 60' so it was really SCREWING me 60' wise
Old 12-06-2008, 08:37 PM

The difference is at the track. Does Mel have any traction issues with anything besides stock continentals?

At the track, you can launch better than you can on the street, while Mel would have the same launch as on the street. That's the big difference here.
she has never run the track, we launched on the street, both side by side.

and we do have some spin on the stock cont at times, not alot but some going into second gear

and by saying you can launch better you are helping to prove my point
Old 12-06-2008, 08:39 PM

yes it can hack...you dont have to have power adders to be quick...thats just the easy way out of things. a good tune, some tq management removal, higher shift points, timing, better gas, and some diff launching tech could easily land him in the 15.6-15.5 range
I say otherwise. If it's so easy to obtain mid 15's with an automatic naturally aspirated stock 2.2, why hasn't this been achieved YEARS ago?

Tunes make a difference, but on an N/A bolt-on 4-cyl, it's not going to make a half a second difference unless the factory tune is horribly, ungodly restrictive.

she has never run the track, we launched on the street, both side by side.

and we do have some spin on the stock cont at times, not alot but some going into second gear

and by saying you can launch better you are helping to prove my point

No I'm saying that a stick car can launch much better at the track, while an automatic cannot, which will obviously net the stick a better ET than on the street.

Originally Posted by elecblue06
did you get hop? because i barely spin that the track but i was getting hop and that was ******* me over.. and my hop was at just about the 60' so it was really SCREWING me 60' wise
Never had any hop or spin.

Last yellow, let off the brake, hit the nitrous. There is a bark from the tires and I was gone.

Last edited by HackAbuse; 12-06-2008 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-06-2008, 08:40 PM

Meh, no need to argue guys. I would not be able to call my car a 15 sec car even if I did dip into the 15.99's.

Next time I go to the track, I'll be built and boosted and skipping the 15's completely.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:40 PM

I say otherwise. If it's so easy to obtain mid 15's with an automatic naturally aspirated stock 2.2, why hasn't this been achieved YEARS ago?

Tunes make a difference, but on an N/A bolt-on 4-cyl, it's not going to make a half a second difference unless the factory tune is horribly, ungodly restrictive.

No I'm saying that a stick car can launch much better at the track, while an automatic cannot, which will obviously net the stick a better ET than on the street.

Never had any hop or spin.

Last yellow, let off the brake, hit the nitrous. There is a bark from the tires and I was gone.
it obviosly did with mine...i shaved alot off what most get and i bet it will get even better with some recent traction mods

believe it or not, autos are not THAT much less able at the track then a 5spd
and my car launches fine on the street...its called knowing how to drive your car
Old 12-06-2008, 08:41 PM

i beg to differ.. a tune can very well take .5 off on an NA car.. if the tuner knows what they're doing ... a stock 2.2 auto is a mid to high 16 second car...

if a 2.4 (mid - high second 15 car using auto) can hit 14's ( which ist has) from bolts ons.. then a 2.2 can definitely hit 15s with full bolt ons and a tune .. with how restrictive the 2.2 exhaust setup is it can easily take of .5 off your time
Old 12-06-2008, 08:43 PM

I would say that hack knows what he's talking about because he was tuned, but then again he was tuned for n02 correct?
Old 12-06-2008, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Sentry
I would say that hack knows what he's talking about because he was tuned, but then again he was tuned for n02 correct?
both my cobalts...auto and 5spd are tuned...in person, by vince the tuner...trust me on this one
Old 12-06-2008, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Sentry
My timing was still advanced over stock by a few degrees. My differences in time in regard to a stock 2.2 were most likely caused by lack of torque (no cat and a full exhaust) and/or colder plugs.

I tinkered with my 2.2 for damn near four years, I pulled the engine apart more than once, I swapped it, and I've had several of the same parts from different manufacturers on the car, and I currently hold one of the fastest passes in a stock internal non-f/i 2.2

If my word means nothing after that, even though I have already proven one point, I beleive some of you may have some trust or paranoia issues.

I'm not plotting against you, I'm telling you REALISTIC figures, not filling people with false hope.

I'm happy that you've decided to build your engine and go f/i, have fun with it, and I hope you can blow past the 14's like celicacobalt did in his 2.4 auto.

both my cobalts...auto and 5spd are tuned...in person, by vince the tuner...trust me on this one
and you don't think that your low 15 second passes could be attributed to a better tune than one that is somewhat conservative based on lack of input?

Last edited by HackAbuse; 12-06-2008 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-06-2008, 08:52 PM

My timing was still advanced over stock by a few degrees. My differences in time in regard to a stock 2.2 were most likely caused by lack of torque (no cat and a full exhaust) and/or colder plugs.

I tinkered with my 2.2 for damn near four years, I pulled the engine apart more than once, I swapped it, and I've had several of the same parts from different manufacturers on the car, and I currently hold one of the fastest passes in a stock internal non-f/i 2.2

If my word means nothing after that, even though I have already proven one point, I beleive some of you may have some trust or paranoia issues.

I'm not plotting against you, I'm telling you REALISTIC figures, not filling people with false hope.

I'm happy that you've decided to build your engine and go f/i, have fun with it, and I hope you can blow past the 14's like celicacobalt did in his 2.4 auto.

and you don't think that your low 15 second passes could be attributed to a better tune than one that is somewhat conservative based on lack of input?
but your numbers show you know nothing about the potential...the tune only came out this year..so all your previos tinkering is for not.
and...all your experiance was either stock or with nos...so niether of those...
and btw, a car with n2o is in the same category of f/i....its a power adder...

say what? it did that low pass due to the great tune....thats what im saying...the auto can do the same thing, great tune and then hell knock off alot of that time

Last edited by NWAE Cobalt; 12-06-2008 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-06-2008, 08:55 PM

but your numbers show you know nothing about the potential...the tune only came out this year..so all your previos tinkering is for not.
and...all your experiance was either stock or with nos...so niether of those...
and btw, a car with n2o is in the same category of f/i....its a power adder...

say what? it did that low pass due to the great tune....thats what im saying...the auto can do the same thing, great tune and then hell knock off alot of that time
Nitrous and forced induction are not the same thing.

Stock? With the exception of a ported head, I had more mods than the OP.

Your tune is attributed to the proximity to Vince, which the OP doesn't have the opportunity of getting a tune like that.

Last edited by HackAbuse; 12-06-2008 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-06-2008, 09:00 PM

Your tune is attributed to the proximity to Vince, which the OP doesn't have the opportunity of getting a tune like that.
no, they arnt the same...but you cant compare running n/a to n2o runs either

no, he can do the same quality tune via the gt tuner kit he does with people, mine was just a little faster to finish

i didnt get some special tune that no one else gets cause im close...the tune i have is of the same quality work as if you did it virtualy

Last edited by NWAE Cobalt; 12-06-2008 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost