Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

05 cobalt cv axle shaft how much to replace?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 10:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 05 cobalt cv axle shaft how much to replace?

When I accelerate it clunks like its hitting something on left front side. Mechanic took it for a test drive and told me its the cv joints and it would cost me 1000 dollars to fix becuase he would have to rebuild it and take out the transmission to install it.

I see them on auto zone for 80 bucks and on youtube it looks easy to install just by moving the tire.. Am I getting monkey screwed by this mechanic? Or do you really have to remove the transmission just to install a cv axle shaft on a 05 chevy cobalt??????

Thanks any help would be soo appreciated.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:12 PM

Received 263 Likes on 222 Posts
your getting screwed. an axle is around $100 and shop labor should be around 1-1.5 hours. the tranny doesnt need to come out for that. find another shop.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:14 PM

TY TY for the fast reponse, I was starting to stress for a minute. I hope changing that will stop the clunking. Its getting louder and i'm afraid to drive on it but i have to wait till end of week and drive to work like this.. Is it dangerous??? Or will i mess up the tranny ??
Old 09-22-2011, 10:34 PM

Received 263 Likes on 222 Posts
wont mess up the tranny, however if it breaks it will leave you stranded.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:04 PM

Okay, This really sucks, I replaced the cv axle and it still making the knocking sound, I took it to another mechanic who test drove it and says it's actually the wheel bearing........

The first mechanic I took it to said it was the inner joints that would cost 1k to fix cuz they had to take out the tranny.....

When I turn it does not make any clanking noise at all and from what I read thats how you tell if its the inner joint. Just when I am accelerating there is loud knocking clunking noise.. Is there any other way to verify if its the inner joints or the wheel bearing?

I thought replacing the cv axle is the same as replacing the inner joints????? cuz don't the cv axle have the inner joints included??

I already replaced both rotors, brakes, cv axle, and am about to buy a wheel bearing... Is it safe to get one from a junk yard? starting to hit me deep in the pocket at this point
Old 09-23-2011, 04:24 PM

I just called the auto salvage place and they charging 3 bucks for the wheel bearing... crazy difference in price from 100 BUcks to 3 dollars...... I wonder if they are even telling me the right thing i needed lol
Old 09-23-2011, 04:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wheel bearings typically make a humming noise when they start to go bad. If your hub bearing is making a clunk then its ready to break. Have you checked your lower control arm bushings? it it one clunk when you first hit the gas or a series of repeated clunks under hard acceleration?

also did you just do one cv shaft? Theres two obviously with an intermidiate shaft as well
Old 09-23-2011, 04:38 PM

I only replaced 1 cv shaft right side. I lifted one side and put it in drive to hear the noise on each side and pinpointed it to the right side only. I did try to shake the lower control arm bushings with my hand but it didnt budge not sure how to check those....

Yea when I accelerate it feels like repeated clunks that gets way louder around 30 mph and even louder on highway. It did sound not so bad at first like humming then got worse as the days go on. 4th day i been working on it still have not fixed it

the puller at the salvage yard says it will cost 25 bucks to pull the part, the hub is 13 dollars , and the bearing is 3 dollars...... still sounds too cheap especially the bearing.... comes with 90 day warranty lol

so 48 dollars altogether.. I already bought a hub bearing new from auto zone but could not afford the one with anti lock brakes... so got it without, but my other wheel has it with antilocks lol... not sure if thats an issue, probably gonna return it and go to the junk yard... what you guys think?

weird thing is when i lift the tire and try to shake the wheel to see if the axis moves, it barely moves not much at all though...

Last edited by selfishbastardo; 09-23-2011 at 04:44 PM.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:53 PM

If i buy the wheel bearing and hub seperatly from the junk yard,, will they have to be pressed together??

Mechanic said he'll charge 200 bucks if he has to press them, 60 bucks if its just one peice.. not sure what difference is.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if u install and hub assembly without abs your abs light will be on and the abs wont work. You need the abs hub. the hub assembly on our cars is bolt in not press in so youll get the whole assembly from the slavage yard. And they should only charge you maybe a half hour of labor to install it since its a bolt in hub. The is also a small carrier bearing in the intermidiate shft as well, but youd have to get the whole assembly to replace that they are not serviceable

Last edited by zrated89; 09-24-2011 at 09:34 AM.
Old 03-09-2021, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by selfishbastardo
When I accelerate it clunks like its hitting something on left front side. Mechanic took it for a test drive and told me its the cv joints and it would cost me 1000 dollars to fix becuase he would have to rebuild it and take out the transmission to install it.

I see them on auto zone for 80 bucks and on youtube it looks easy to install just by moving the tire.. Am I getting monkey screwed by this mechanic? Or do you really have to remove the transmission just to install a cv axle shaft on a 05 chevy cobalt??????

Thanks any help would be soo appreciated.
​​​​​​Im a female n even i know that aint true. I would've told him to go back to Machanics School n then hey man where are all the real Machanics