Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

2.2 Auto Driving style.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 04:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2.2 Auto Driving style.

Hey guys.

A couple of weeks back, I did a little research on the boards about launching and found HalfCent's guide on launching with the auto tranny, pretty good stuff. Though I don't race, it's good to know what your car can do, right?

Anyway, since then I've been Driving on I ( 2 on 05- models, afaik ) for most of the time. I can definitely feel the difference from not using the overdrive mode, since the car feels way more responsive without it. But I've been a little worried on what the long-term effects of going to 4k rpm everytime you change from 2nd to 3rd gear will do to the car. It's especially a concern when there's a lot of traffic and I'm stuck doing 35-40 and can never get back into third gear, so I get stuck doing 3000-3500 RPM for a few minutes. Not only it doesn't sound too great, but I can feel it in the pedal as well.

I'm an idiot when it comes to cars, and the 'Balt is my first one either, so I might be making too much out of this. So, what do you guys think?

And another thing. I've heard divering opinions about this but is it OK to be changing between gears while driving? Some people say it messes the tranny, some say it's perfectly fine... Though I don't do that, if it were fine, I'd move to D when under traffic and back to I/L when I wanted more power.

Thanks for the replies
Old 05-31-2007, 04:29 PM

did you know with initial testing of any new engine, gm runs them at redline for 30 days straight? I'm not saying your car can do that, they keep fresh cool oil flowing, coolent temps are kept down, they do a lot to make it happen, but the engine its self is capable of that kind of abuse.

i'm not saying its good for it. a way to think about it is every engine has so many revolutions in it, each time the crank shaft makes a revolution its just a little closer to being a worthless hunk of metal. if you run it it higher rpm's than you need to, that day will come sooner. thats an overly simplistic way to look it it, but it gives you an idea.

more than wear, i'd be concerned about fuel economy, above 3k it goes from sip mode to chug mode (maybe from light sip to easy drink)

as far as shifting, all your doing is changing where the tranny fluid is able to go, thats it. there is wear on parts, sure. the handle the pivot point, all the moving parts, sure there is wear. but nothing significant.
Old 06-01-2007, 03:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
there is virtually no downside from shifting from L to I to D in this car...its made to do just that....I and L are made for slowing the car down steep hills that would wear out your brakes or for going into a lower gear while climbing a hill...its totally safe...its just sending an electronic signal to change the shift points...nothing more

however, you can look at actually staying at I like this.....the number one cause of automatic transmission failure is overheating it....now your transmission fluid is heated by the friction of transmission fluid being thrown at the torque converter...basically meaning the more revolutions the more fluid being thrown, the hotter it gets

so really higher rpms=hotter transmission, which is bad for the transmission

to quote hayden....a 20 degree drop in automatic transmission fluid typically doubles the life of your transmission
Old 06-01-2007, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by HunterKiller89
there is virtually no downside from shifting from L to I to D in this car...its made to do just that....I and L are made for slowing the car down steep hills that would wear out your brakes or for going into a lower gear while climbing a hill...its totally safe...its just sending an electronic signal to change the shift points...nothing more

however, you can look at actually staying at I like this.....the number one cause of automatic transmission failure is overheating it....now your transmission fluid is heated by the friction of transmission fluid being thrown at the torque converter...basically meaning the more revolutions the more fluid being thrown, the hotter it gets

so really higher rpms=hotter transmission, which is bad for the transmission

to quote hayden....a 20 degree drop in automatic transmission fluid typically doubles the life of your transmission
speaking of which i don't believe ive heard of a after market tranny cooler hmm sumthing for you auto guys to think about
Old 06-01-2007, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by nonSS
speaking of which i don't believe ive heard of a after market tranny cooler hmm sumthing for you auto guys to think about
i've heard of it before, but i cant remember anything about it

yea, the guide to launching is great, but why would you not drive around in overdrive?
you're just wasting money on fuel economy, and when you're cruising and doing everyday driving, it's pointless
Old 06-01-2007, 11:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It'll suck gas but other then that it won't hurt anything.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:58 PM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You aren't hurting anything, but you are wasting gas. There is no reason to not use overdrive in regular city driving.
Old 06-02-2007, 12:19 AM

Driving in L isn't dangerous? I always thought it was..
Old 06-02-2007, 12:39 AM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Driving in L isn't dangerous, but it's also not for "driving". It's for race starting, or when needing low speed power for like getting out of being stuck.
Old 06-02-2007, 04:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by nonSS
none are made specifically for our cars...but theres really no need....just choose a cooler size and install it...its just an added hose and an added cooler....nothing that needs to be fitted. I know halfcent has one, and i have one awaiting installation....3 feet away from me actually

Haydens a great company to look into if your looking for one
Old 06-02-2007, 09:26 AM

Thanks a bunch for the inputs guys. And oh, no, I don't drive in either L or I all the time. Most of the time when there's traffic, I'm always on D. I'm aware of the reduction in gas milleage, so I try to leave it to whenever there's no traffic and I can drive more agressively. It's just that when I'm already on I and I come to either a stop or I encounter traffic, I'm always concerned about shifting gears while the engine's revving.

But since everyone says there isn't much of a problem in doing that, then I feel more secure. That'll probably save me some gas too.

And as far as tranny cooling, I think I've seen one around for the Balt... I'll look more into it later. I'm finishing up on my planned visual mods, and when I get into performance, I think I might start by the transmission. That external tuner/tool sounds fun.

Anyway, thanks a bunch guys.
Old 06-03-2007, 01:08 AM

a tranny cooler is very rarely made for any specific car, they are pretty generic. anyone will work. I don't have a auto so I can't give you too many details, but its a very simple hook up, should take about 5 minutes to build up the courage to do it (if you haven't done much car work before) 15 to figure out where to mount it. then about 5-10 minutes to plumb it and get it working. very simple and effective, and worthwhile improvement.

I would also recommend you look into a shift kit, basically it lets more fluid flow to the clutches and bands and whatnot to make them grip better. gives you firmer shifts, and also reduces slip, which is wear, which is bad.

I'm not sure if anyone has an electric pressure thing (I don't know the name), it lets you increase your tranny fluid pressure electronically, which is also a good thing. although not very smooth, I doubt you would care.