Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

2.2ls

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2.2ls

Hey, i am curious about some info on the 2005 2.2 LS, Im in the Air Force, my Suite Mate (i live in the dorms) drives a 2005 2.2LS Cobalt and he has like no mods done to it as far as engine and such, i drive a 300ZX and he is looking at trying to get somewhere close to me as far a HP and Torque. what would the options be for upping the HP/Torque. I was thinking along the lines of this, Turbo, New Injectors, chipped, plugs, new plug wires, fuel pump maybe a inter-cooler. intake, exusast and maybe a better clutch say stage II. would we need a stronger tranny or no? I have drove his car a couple times and it has some pull to it, but nothing like my Z does(but its a V-6 so) i know the SS is supercharged, but i dont think he can afford a swap out. lol and we plan to swap in maybe a LS1 or LS6 into my Z when i get back from being deployed so... so anyways what and who makes the parts for his car and where would a good place to get it be. we want to make his car into a nice lil sleeper, so any help i could get would be nice, cause we both dont know alot about his car. many thanks

Chris
Old 01-26-2006, 09:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by shadowmaster05
lol and we plan to swap in maybe a LS1 or LS6 into my Z when i get back from being deployed so...
You're going the hybrid route? Good luck with that, I know that seems to be a popular swap for the Zs but it just seems......WRONG to put American muscle in a Japanese performance car.

What kind of power is your Z putting down? Is it stock? Turbo or NA? If I remember correctly the NA had about 220hp and the Turbo was close to 290hp or so. If it's Turbo, wish him luck, he's going to need a LOT, and I do mean a LOT of modifications (beyond i/h/e, think internals) and DEFINITELY need forced induction of some kind.

EDIT: Have him pick up the GM Ecotec Performance Build Book, it's got all the mods he'd need in it.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by alleycat58
You're going the hybrid route? Good luck with that, I know that seems to be a popular swap for the Zs but it just seems......WRONG to put American muscle in a Japanese performance car.

What kind of power is your Z putting down? Is it stock? Turbo or NA? If I remember correctly the NA had about 220hp and the Turbo was close to 290hp or so. If it's Turbo, wish him luck, he's going to need a LOT, and I do mean a LOT of modifications (beyond i/h/e, think internals) and DEFINITELY need forced induction of some kind.

EDIT: Have him pick up the GM Ecotec Performance Build Book, it's got all the mods he'd need in it.
The LS1/6 is all aluminum so it weighs about the same as the engine in it now, its a N/A right now, but looks like its getting TT uped when i get home (LS1/6 around 5G for the engine without anything electircel on it) along with some other parts to put out around 450HP, so Twin T4 turbos, intercooler, exusasht, ported polished heads intake etc..
Old 01-26-2006, 09:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by shadowmaster05
The LS1/6 is all aluminum so it weighs about the same as the engine in it now, its a N/A right now, but looks like its getting TT uped when i get home (LS1/6 around 5G for the engine without anything electircel on it) along with some other parts to put out around 450HP, so Twin T4 turbos, intercooler, exusasht, ported polished heads intake etc..
Mmmmmm....yeah, he's going to have a lot of time and have a LOT of money invested in it to get the 2.2 Eco up to the 450hp range. How much does the Z weigh? Power to weight is most important, the Cobalt is right around 2850. Is his auto or manual? The only dyno charts I've seen in person on the 2.2 were around 127hp for the auto and about 133hp for the manual.

He's looking at rods, pistons, cams too I believe, on top of i/h/e and turbo. The build book is the best place to look for information, there was an e-mail address you could send to to get a free one but I don't remember where on here I saw it.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by alleycat58
Mmmmmm....yeah, he's going to have a lot of time and have a LOT of money invested in it to get the 2.2 Eco up to the 450hp range. How much does the Z weigh? Power to weight is most important, the Cobalt is right around 2850. Is his auto or manual? The only dyno charts I've seen in person on the 2.2 were around 127hp for the auto and about 133hp for the manual.

He's looking at rods, pistons, cams too I believe, on top of i/h/e and turbo. The build book is the best place to look for information, there was an e-mail address you could send to to get a free one but I don't remember where on here I saw it.
MY Z weighs 3200 i believe, he just wants his car up to my specs now, which is like 220hp and something torque. maybe hit 300 if he could. his is a manual. but yeah if you could let me know the email. thanks