Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

2009 SS trans noise in 3rd and another question

Old 10-25-2015, 01:41 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2009 SS trans noise in 3rd and another question

Hello all.

I just picked up a pretty damned nice 2009 SS Sedan.

During my test drive I didn't notice anything odd. I'm sure the Hahn exhaust + my excitement caused me to not notice a whining type noise when decelerating in 3rd gear. I have not rolled under the car to look yet but I do believe he told me one of the mounts was a solid one so that may just amplify what I am hearing. It's not super loud but a fine tuned ear can hear it.

Do you guys generally find these transmissions to make noise you can hear in the car?

2. In 4th gear if I just put the slightest pressure on the shift lever downward I can feel the shift fork bumping along on the shift collar in the trans. I feel this in none of the other gears. Normal or not on these transmissions?

I am going to change the oil today and will closely inspect the mounts to see exactly what is on the car.

I am also trying to figure out what fluid is required in this transmission, so far from what I see it's stealer only. If so the trans fluid change will wait until monday.

I really REALLY want to pull the plug right now and see if I have etch a sketch fluid draining out or not but obviously want to have the right fluid to put back in.

Thanks for any input on this!
Old 10-25-2015, 01:53 PM

Received 131 Likes on 108 Posts
The part number for the fluid is online here somewhere. You can order it online or get it straight from the dealer. Personally, thats the only stuff i would use. Some guys use redline mt90.
Old 10-25-2015, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by double clutch
The part number for the fluid is online here somewhere. You can order it online or get it straight from the dealer. Personally, thats the only stuff i would use. Some guys use redline mt90.

Thanks, I will go to the dealer tomorrow.

I got under the car, ZZP front and rear mounts. That might explain why I am hearing slight noise......I have a feeling I'm being over picky.
Old 10-25-2015, 03:04 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Careful with that trans. And you're not being picky, he should've told u if the car had anything wrong with it.
Old 10-25-2015, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by firehawk618
Thanks, I will go to the dealer tomorrow. I got under the car, ZZP front and rear mounts. That might explain why I am hearing slight noise......I have a feeling I'm being over picky.
You should ditch those mounts for some actual rotated mounts. Powell or ottp
Old 10-25-2015, 05:50 PM

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
It's pretty normal to hear a wining noise from the trans especially when you have stiffer mounts. F35 is one of the loudest transmissions I've dealt with and solid mounts just amplify it.
Rotated mounts are better for wheel hop but if you don't have an issue why fix it?

3,4,5 all wine like crazy (always done it had the car since brand new) even worse when I have a passenger.
Old 10-25-2015, 08:12 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It usually more amplified when it's cold out. Mine has it since I bought it. Annoying af but eh well
Old 10-25-2015, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by tuned08ss
Careful with that trans. And you're not being picky, he should've told u if the car had anything wrong with it.
Thanks. I have done lots of research on here prior to buying this car. LOL @ a private party disclosing every issue with a car they're selling. I wish people were that honest.

You should ditch those mounts for some actual rotated mounts. Powell or ottp
So far I haven't had any wheel hop. I also have not tried to launch the car from a stop. I will not do much beating up on it until I can monitor knock and see what tune is in this thing.

Originally Posted by slapbetcommissioner
It's pretty normal to hear a wining noise from the trans especially when you have stiffer mounts. F35 is one of the loudest transmissions I've dealt with and solid mounts just amplify it.
Rotated mounts are better for wheel hop but if you don't have an issue why fix it?

3,4,5 all wine like crazy (always done it had the car since brand new) even worse when I have a passenger.
Yeah I am starting to think this is a problem transmission and I have a few reasons why.

1. The noise.
2. The shifter has very strange feedback through it when in 4th gear.
3. This car is VERY hit or miss for being able to put it in reverse. It's NOT the linkage adjustment. I have gone over all of that closely and the interlock / range of motion is not stopping it from going in reverse.
4. Once I really got into the car I noticed there's definite evidence someone has split the cases at one time. It's got anerobic *SP?* sealant along the seams.
5. It's most definitely got a LSD but the tag on top of the trans does NOT have LSD printed on it.

I do completely agree with not replacing the mounts if I am not getting wheel hop. Time will tell.

Originally Posted by turbocharged717
It usually more amplified when it's cold out. Mine has it since I bought it. Annoying af but eh well
Thanks!

Last edited by firehawk618; 10-25-2015 at 09:16 PM.
Old 10-27-2015, 12:50 AM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Decel with this transmission in 3,4,5 is loud like everybody is saying. I starved one of the bearings for 5th gear so I'm on my second transmission, same decel noises.

Make sure when you change transmission fluid that it's full when you're done.
The following users liked this post:
firehawk618 (10-28-2015)
Old 10-28-2015, 01:29 PM

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Sounds like the trans has been rebuilt with a good used bell housing which means that the original case was probably broken by a 3rd gear failure. So if 3rd gear was replaced, it was probably replaced with used gears which isn't a big deal but because they weren't worn in together from new, you get the inevitable whine which is no big deal. It's just a sign that the mesh isn't 100% perfect. The 4th gear shifter vibration is odd though.
The oem trans sealant is actually an anerobic sealant but it is red in color and is a flange sealant that only dries in the absence of air. It's is actually almost the same color as the trans fluid. BTW the trans fluid part # is 88862472
firehawk618 (10-28-2015)
Old 10-28-2015, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by LNFwagonSS
Sounds like the trans has been rebuilt with a good used bell housing which means that the original case was probably broken by a 3rd gear failure. So if 3rd gear was replaced, it was probably replaced with used gears which isn't a big deal but because they weren't worn in together from new, you get the inevitable whine which is no big deal. It's just a sign that the mesh isn't 100% perfect. The 4th gear shifter vibration is odd though.
The oem trans sealant is actually an anerobic sealant but it is red in color and is a flange sealant that only dries in the absence of air. It's is actually almost the same color as the trans fluid. BTW the trans fluid part # is 88862472

Ah that does make sense. I didn't realize GM/Saab used the anerobic red. That's exactly what I see in the seams. I love that stuff personally.

TY for the fluid part number. I have two quarts due to be delivered today and I will drain/refill. Fingers crossed I don't have etch a sketch silver fluid coming out!

You sound like you know your stuff about these transaxles.

Do you know if the tag would indicate if it's the original housing / trans or not? Maybe part of the vin on the tag?

I'll have to move a few things out of the way to get a clear shot of the tag for ID purposes.

Thanks for the input!
Old 10-28-2015, 02:17 PM

Ah that does make sense. I didn't realize GM/Saab used the anerobic red. That's exactly what I see in the seams. I love that stuff personally.

TY for the fluid part number. I have two quarts due to be delivered today and I will drain/refill. Fingers crossed I don't have etch a sketch silver fluid coming out!

Do you know if the tag would indicate if it's the original housing / trans or not? Maybe part of the vin on the tag?

I'll have to move a few things out of the way to get a clear shot of the tag for ID purposes.

Thanks for the input!
Just a small tip. Make sure that the fill bolt comes out before you drain all your old fluid.
Old 10-28-2015, 02:27 PM

Just a small tip. Make sure that the fill bolt comes out before you drain all your old fluid.

Absolutely.
Old 10-28-2015, 03:42 PM

Thanks for the input!
I'm not 100% sure what the Id# means but if trans has LSD, the tag should say LSD as well as the final drive value which would be 3.82 for the Tc balt, The only way to know 100% if it has LSD would b to pull axle and see if there is a large pin in the middle of diff. That would indicate it is non-LSD, open diff. The bell housing and other half of the case should have cast markings indicating manufacturing date.
I too like the sealant used. It's Loctite 515 flange sealant and I use it regularly at my day job.
A side note as far as filling the trans...Drain and refill spec is 2qts. If you fill through the upper plug, it will be difficult to get two full qts in. I ALWAYS remove the reverse sensor on top of the trans and fill through there with long tube attached to a funnel. I think it's much easier, less messy, and is a sure bet you will get all 2qts.

Also, the third gear whine could also be caused by the third gear being installed upside down. my first explanation was with the assumption that the bell housing was replaced

Last edited by LNFwagonSS; 10-29-2015 at 11:55 AM.
Old 10-28-2015, 09:07 PM

I'm not 100% sure what the Id# means but if trans has LSD, the tag should say LSD as well as the final drive value which would be 3.92 for the Tc balt, The only way to know 100% if it has LSD would b to pull axle and see if there is a large pin in the middle of diff. That would indicate it is non-LSD, open diff. The bell housing and other half of the case should have cast markings indicating manufacturing date.
I too like the sealant used. It's Loctite 515 flange sealant and I use it regularly at my day job.
A side note as far as filling the trans...Drain and refill spec is 2qts. If you fill through the upper plug, it will be difficult to get two full qts in. I ALWAYS remove the reverse sensor on top of the trans and fill through there with long tube attached to a funnel. I think it's much easier, less messy, and is a sure bet you will get all 2qts.

Also, the third gear whine could also be caused by the third gear being installed upside down. my first explanation was with the assumption that the bell housing was replaced

I had to replace my reverse light switch so I went ahead and filled it through there.

Here's my tag. The car most definitely without question has a LSD.

EDIT: The curious thing is these two links indicate that SN is lsd even though the tag doesn't say it.
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/part...on-lnf-274317/

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/Coba...10600C700.aspx

EDIT EDIT: Everything I can see indicates this is most likely the original transmission from my car and definitely the right one for LNF. I just googled GM 55564936
Attached Thumbnails trans-tag.jpg  

Last edited by firehawk618; 10-28-2015 at 09:13 PM.
Old 10-28-2015, 09:16 PM

I have done zero diagnostic work as to why my backup lights don't work.

I have replaced the sensor because my reading online indicates that's a high failure item on our cars.

I have to wonder.......if the fact that reverse is not right on my car coupled with the fact my reverse lights don't work indicate someone assembled something wrong in my transaxle......

I'll do the basic test soon and report back. Wouldn't that be something if jumping the 2 pins at the switch makes my lights come on.

If so I can stop trying to figure out my random reverse lockout + impossible to shift at high rpm's issues and start planning on a trans teardown.
Old 10-29-2015, 12:34 AM

Hmm well I guess it's just the 4.05 that has those markings. Now I'm not so sure if the early 05-07 SC balts with 4.05 would say LSD like the 08-10 hhr trans does. Either way, its what's on the inside that counts

If the sensor shows continuity when depressed, it could just be damged wiring. Wires could've been smashed between bell housing and engine during trans install.
Old 10-29-2015, 02:10 AM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Real easy to tell if you've got an LSD. Get both front tires off the ground, place in neutral, and spin a tire by hand. If they spin the same way then you have an LSD, opposite directions open diff.
Old 10-29-2015, 11:24 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
3.82 is the FD for lnf just to clarify
Old 10-29-2015, 11:53 AM

Oops, good eye. Corrected
Old 10-29-2015, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by YelloEye
Real easy to tell if you've got an LSD. Get both front tires off the ground, place in neutral, and spin a tire by hand. If they spin the same way then you have an LSD, opposite directions open diff.

I have not pulled an axle to visually verify it but I can tell you when I do break the tires loose both go every time. Straight line or corner it will always bake both.

I don't believe the old spin the tires and see which way the other goes.

That works fine with clutch pack type limited slips but I am not certain this applies to Torsen type.......I'm pretty sure those need torque input from the carrier before they lock both axles.

So I did change the fluid last evening. What came out was brown so they definitely put the wrong crap in there. It's got the right red stuff now.

So far it's made zero difference in the issues I have been battling.

Next step for me is to mess with the clutch master cylinder. I am going to rig something up and try to get an extra 1/4" or so of push and do a test drive with a high rpm shift.

If it improves then I know i'm on the right track.

The reverse thing seems to be getting better over time or I am just getting the hang of the method my transmission seems to like.
Old 10-31-2015, 01:26 AM

Welp I'm confident I will be pulling this trans in the near future.

Tonight on my first long highway drive it would on occasion pop out of 5th gear when coming out of corners. I think the deceleration then acceleration was enough to make it pop out.

No noise when it does. Just suddenly I notice my RPM's climbing like crazy.

It's starting to make sense now. Perhaps a bent 5th gear shift fork? Maybe it's tweeked internal linkage.

I am currently looking for good exploded views of this trans and might just pick up a whole non LSD trans to swap my LSD into and throw back in.

I might pick up an HHR SS 5 speed and use that instead. From what I understand those have better final drives anyhow.
Old 10-31-2015, 02:08 AM

Get a good look at the shifter arms, roll pins, and cables on top of trans if you haven't already. Remove fuse box if you have to. Remove cables and manually shift it into each gear with shift arms. You may or may not need to work the clutch while doing this.
Old 10-31-2015, 09:11 PM

Get a good look at the shifter arms, roll pins, and cables on top of trans if you haven't already. Remove fuse box if you have to. Remove cables and manually shift it into each gear with shift arms. You may or may not need to work the clutch while doing this.

I have dismantled and inspected every aspect of the whole cable shift system.

I did purchase an 08' HHR 5 speed trans for what I would consider dirt cheap.

The seller sent me a picture of the RPO codes and wouldn't ya know it's got G85 right on it!

The car it came out of was a roll over so hopefully all is well with it.

On the bright side I will have a spare transaxle for parts as needed.
Old 11-01-2015, 12:38 PM

Nice. Yea the fact that you have all those shifting issues, and all external components checked out ok, means there may be an issue with the placement of shift assembly inside tranny. The reverse switch is depressed when internal reverse shift lever is moved upward. Looking at that picture you posted earlier, the amount of excess sealant leads me to believe the trans case halves were apart at one time and resealed. And if you don't know who did the work, its a crap shoot whether or not it was built correctly. These transaxles are not basic by any means.
As far as the integrity of the new 4.05 trans you bought, the most common damage from an accident is from front end collisions. The Bell housing breaks where the upper bolt is for front trans mount. I would also put new axles seals in.
firehawk618 (11-01-2015)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2009 SS trans noise in 3rd and another question