Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

B&M ratchet shifter for auto?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 11:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B&M ratchet shifter for auto?

Hello
The GM Build Book (page 130) shows the B&M Pro Ratchet auto tranny shifter and installation kit. My question is, is this suitable for an 'everyday driver' instead of racing? http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...tegoryId=15055

I thought by adding this B&M shifter it would make it more interesting and I'd 'be different'. Any thoughts, good, bad, otherwise?

Thanks for listening
Old 11-15-2005, 11:56 PM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hmm.. Looks interesting. I've never used a ratchet shifter, what does it do exactly? It would appear looking at the book that it requires a little work, but apparently GM does make an appearance plate for it. I will probably be going with the IPT electo-manual shift unit, but you do have me interested in this...
Old 11-16-2005, 10:06 AM

id like to know more as well
Old 12-12-2005, 06:58 AM

A ratchet shifter will only shift one gear at a time. The lever stays in the same position all the time and "ratchets" one gear each time you move it forward or back. It always returns to the same center position. A seperate lever will have to be activated to engage reverse so you can't accidentily hit it in the heat of a race. It would be a little inconviniant for everyday driving, but kind of fun.
Dennis
Old 12-12-2005, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by denniss
A ratchet shifter will only shift one gear at a time. The lever stays in the same position all the time and "ratchets" one gear each time you move it forward or back. It always returns to the same center position. A seperate lever will have to be activated to engage reverse so you can't accidentily hit it in the heat of a race. It would be a little inconviniant for everyday driving, but kind of fun.
Dennis
Thank you Dennis for clearing that up...I was too embarrased to call B&M and ask

So in otherwords, the ratchet shifter would be like a slow manual-shifting automatic? Would you have to rely on the tach or sound of the engine to "shift"? Or for an emergency, say a deer runs out across the road, with auto you'd simply slam on the brakes, but with the B&M, slam on the brakes and remember to ratchet shift? Is the little red lever on the left side the reverse? I don't even think the little 'PRNDL' thing is lighted for nighttime, is it?
Old 12-12-2005, 08:13 AM

I have a B&M mega shifter in my truck. It has a lockout similar to the reverse lockout on the SS's, you can't shift from park without pulling in the lever, then put it down in first. Tach out first then all you have to do is slap the shifter forward with your palm, and it'll ratchet into 2nd gear and go no further. They're sometimes called "slap shifters". You do the same up through all the gears, and you then hit neutral. Can't put it in reverse without pulling up the lever. And when you have your cable set up right, with possibly a shiftkit, makes a lot more aggressive, quicker shifts.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:52 PM

I've had a husrt ratchet shifter in my S-10 Blazer for years, its fine fore everyday driving, but sometimes can be a pain in the ass for parrell parking or when you back out in front of someone and you realize they are going quicker than you thought!