Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Clutch "throw" feels long...

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 09:36 PM

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Clutch "throw" feels long...

Last couple weeks my clutch has started to intermitently feel like it doesnt engage until very high up in the peddle release. This is not all the time and is most noticable in first gear. Now my initial thought is my clutch needs to be replaced and is getting warn out. however i would think it would slip under WOT in 3rd or forth and it doesn't. The next day it will feel like nothing is wrong and 20 minutes later it will be back to the same feeling. The day after that it wont do it at all...
Also first gear and second releases seem really rough sometimes especailly if i let off the throttle it feels a little bit like there is some play there. almost like a bit of rocking. My Shifter doesnt feel as Taut in neutral is it normally does although this may be unrelated and just linkage issue it will wiggle a fair bit but did not before.

Just trying to figure out if this is the clutch or something else before i take it in.

Basically i dont want them to rip the tranny apart and find out the clutch needs replacing (not covered by warranty) and not have a replacement clutch on standby in case. (if im paying labour im not putting a Gm factory clutch in) but i cant afford to have my car down for a week plus waiting on an exedy to show up.... even if i do decide to just put a factory clutch in im obviously not paying dealer price for parts when CED is a a third of the cost even with shipping..

Help!
Old 11-03-2011, 11:57 PM

Bump
Old 11-05-2011, 01:55 AM

Really?! no one is captain know it all? Not even flaming? " use your search button"
Wow. Come on guys lol
Old 11-05-2011, 01:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i didnt get hardly ant help on my clutch problem either. but eventually someone helped
Old 11-05-2011, 03:05 AM

Oh cobalt ss... Used to be some helpfull....
Old 11-05-2011, 06:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
used the search button noob... haha jkkkk when you have the clutch fully depressed is it hard to engage 1st gear or any gear at that? if your answer is no, you can rule out the clutch master cylinder and the rod connected to it.
since there is no slippage as u stated then the clutch is ok. HOWEVER, what i would do before you bring it in is just to check if the fluid is at a normal level just to avoid already knowing maybe you have a very small leak somewhere in the hydraulic system. if that is all well. i'm going to say the TB is about to take a poop so pick up a stage 2 GM clutch from CED for half the price (comes with new tb,clutch master i believe 60% sure on the clutch master) because once you have the trans out you might as well replace the clutch and everything with it since your paying for the labor. thats my opinion though. but if you do replace just your throw-out bearing maybe because of money is tight or w.e. REPLACE the clutch master cylinder with it. they work together like a pen15 and vagina.
Old 11-05-2011, 01:35 PM

Thanks for the help. I will check the fluid.
It actually seems oddly easy to put it into gear lately.

Is the tb and master cyl not covered by warranty?
I thought it was just the clutch and fly wheel that were wear and tare. Or at least I hoped that..
Old 11-06-2011, 03:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i think anything that deals with the clutch is a wear item. i know there is a stciky in some section that says all the info about your warranty. you might find some answers in there. i never looked at it but hey if it says all the info. they better not be lying about ALL the info haha ya kno