Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Does The Lsd Mean That Much??

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 01:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does The Lsd Mean That Much??

I know a lot of people have SS's without the LSD, and some with it. Do the people without the LSD regret not getting it? Can you still race the car well without LSD? Cause I want to get it, but I don't want the seats, and 1,500 could be a big savings. To the people with the LSD, how is launching the car? Lemme know the deal with the LSD...
Old 06-02-2005, 09:29 AM
Banned

This gets talked about alot on here. I guess how I see it is this. I wouldn't have spent $1400 extra due to the fact that I wanted the color keyed seats.

I just recently spun only one tire with mine going around a corner up a hill. In that situation a LSD equiped car would've done the same thing.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by codyss
This gets talked about alot on here. I guess how I see it is this. I wouldn't have spent $1400 extra due to the fact that I wanted the color keyed seats.

I just recently spun only one tire with mine going around a corner up a hill. In that situation a LSD equiped car would've done the same thing.
i dont know i dont think its thats big of a thing to have like someone said on here its not htat important to have unless u plane to rae the car alot.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:38 AM

The LSD in this car is very good but only for 3 reasons...

It does help a lot with cornering... IF you are at a racetrack or driving to fast for your own good. Remember though most sprts cars have more than they need for everyday driving, your buying an SS of course you can get it with soemthing that you wont use often but they are there.

Also the resale, if you get the G85 make sure you get the XM and Onstar also, Its much easier to sell a car "Fully Loaded" than it is to explain why you didnt get an option.

You get Recaros.... very good seats BMW uses them and so do some other ncie cars. They hold you in place really good and I think they are more comfortable now that I ahve sat in both.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:10 AM

LSD will help u control going during the winter road so if u live around cold winter time that slick on the road get LSD! it helps me a lot on my sunfire GT with LSD and once i drove cavi with no LSD it horrible! i couldn't go up the hill at all but my sunfire GT with LSD did so just want to tell ya -kyle-
Old 06-02-2005, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Chevy4Life85
Also the resale, if you get the G85 make sure you get the XM and Onstar also, Its much easier to sell a car "Fully Loaded" than it is to explain why you didnt get an option.
It's that thinking that causes me to never be able to find stripper models.
Old 06-02-2005, 04:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by thehemi
It's that thinking that causes me to never be able to find stripper models.
RECARO, mmmmmm lol
I drove a non LSD and now the LSD cars there is a big difference with the way power is applied in corners and from a stop.

they do hold a lot better than the std seats BUT there is a price, the recaro's do not slide forward when you tilt them to get in the back, my theory is they just pulled the seats right from the Redline ion which does not need that feature....

My son will not be happy but WHO CARES>>>>lol

He had trouble getting in the Firehawk too....
Old 06-02-2005, 06:09 PM
Banned

The limited slip itself will not add anything to the resale. If it didn't include the visible Recaro seats I doub't the whole G85 package would add anything at all.

Most RPO ordered options are worth something when new.

And I wouldn't take Onstar oe XM if you gave it to me.

A) OnStar, No thanks I don't need someone knowing where I am at 24/7

B) XM Radio, I wouldn't have bought my car if it had that ugly antenna on it.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Chevy4Life85
The LSD in this car is very good but only for 3 reasons...

It does help a lot with cornering... IF you are at a racetrack or driving to fast for your own good. Remember though most sprts cars have more than they need for everyday driving, your buying an SS of course you can get it with soemthing that you wont use often but they are there.

You get Recaros.... very good seats BMW uses them and so do some other ncie cars. They hold you in place really good and I think they are more comfortable now that I ahve sat in both.
if someone going to buy them just on the purpose of the Recaros seats id say not too the reg seats that come with the ss are not bad at all atleats to me there not ... yea the Recaros are good seats but the ones that come with the ss do the job for 1500 less if thats the way ur going just for the seats but if your going to get it for LSD then the setas are a bonous ...
Old 06-02-2005, 09:40 PM
Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by plyboy-illest
if someone going to buy htme just ont he purpose of the Recaros seats id say not too the reg seats that come witht he ss are not bad at all atleats to me there not ... yeathe Recaros are good seats but the oens that come with the ss do the job for 1500 less if thats the way ur gogin jsut for the seats but if your going to get it for LSD then the setas are a bonous ...
Wow "PROOF READ" before you click submit reply.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by zinner
Wow "PROOF READ" before you click submit reply.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:40 PM

I really wanted the two-tone seats..BUT I settled with the Black with the G85 sunroof etc...The seats are really nice and they keep you in the seat snugly...The LSD I feel is a nice option you still get wheel hop and the tires do break loose, but when you are rowing through the gear and where a non-LSD SS would chirp this car (SS) with the LSD lunges forward and gets going but the tire do tend to spin all the way through 1st and then once you get into 2nd then get on it really pushes you into your seat LOL...I know im just talking to much now so ill stop LOL...but if you can't tell I REALLY like this car!
Old 06-05-2005, 10:17 AM

I got a Cobalt SS W/O the LSD and now i am wishing i waited for one that did have it. Though you can get the same one from quaife and have it installed at a local shop that usually does that kind of work. I'm going to be getting mine soon, so no more traction loss for me. The part is priced at $1400 or so not including instal.
Old 06-05-2005, 10:55 AM

holy lord thats expensive...see i want the G85, but i dont want onstar or XM....i may have to order mine and then get raped on the price
Old 06-05-2005, 11:38 AM
Premium Member

G85 from the factory is a $1500 option, and you get the Recaros with it, not a bad price at all. Similar Recaros on Gravan's site go for $649 a piece. $1400 plus install for JUST the lsd after you buy it, sucks. I wanted the lsd but got one without, also. But I don't think it will make enough of a difference to me to add it in later if it costs that much by itself.

So you still get wheel hop even with the lsd? I heard someone from the redline forums saying that there is a torque brace that can eliminate that. I'm going to check into it myself, the wheel hop bugs the hell out of me.
Old 06-05-2005, 11:50 AM

The limited slip itself will not add anything to the resale. If it didn't include the visible Recaro seats I doub't the whole G85 package would add anything at all.

Most RPO ordered options are worth something when new.

And I wouldn't take Onstar oe XM if you gave it to me.

A) OnStar, No thanks I don't need someone knowing where I am at 24/7

B) XM Radio, I wouldn't have bought my car if it had that ugly antenna on it.

I agree that i guess if you dont like music that much that antenna isnt worth it if you look in my sig I joke about them... for me btoh are worth it I like the auto emergency call when the airbags go off

also if you have a cellphone someone can know where you are 24/7

they do add something to the resale too, selling a car is much easier when you dotn have to say what it doesnt have when you can just say its "fully loaded"
Old 06-05-2005, 03:42 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Actually this is untrue.....if an LSD equipped car reacted in the same fashion as an open diff car under those circumstances it would be a waste of money....but it doesnt....the biggest benefit of an LSD in a FWD car(besides snow traction....lol) is that it is much LESS likely to try and drive the car with the inside tire on turns....thats what its for....an open diff always send most(if not all) of its power to the wheel with LES TRACTION....this means it always spins the tire thats easier to spin....in a turn for example thats the inside tire, when you spin the inside tire on a turn it means that tire is driving the car, but since it has no traction and is turning faster than the outside(which actually has farther to travel) then you lose time/momentum through turns.

An LSD solves this problem by allowing a Limited amount of Slip(hence LSD) when under normal conditions....like slow speed turns etc, where it is beneficial to have a speed difference between the tires to make turns in parking lots easy and drama free. But under high performance situations it tries to deliver equal power to BOTH tires, thus allowing the tire with the most traction to do its job and drive the car, while this can mean that the inside tire spins on aggresive power-on turns....its only because its spinning at the same speed as the outside tire which is actually driving the car....on an open diff the outside tire does nothing when the inside spins......got it??
Old 06-06-2005, 12:43 AM

The major reason Quaife LSD's are so expensive is because of there ability to help you in the turns and allow you to turn into the parking spots without losing traction. Quaife has designed there LSD to lock up as more torque is applied so in low torque driving such as parking it is less noticable. Its a very well disigned product so you're getting what your paying for. Here is their site if anyone is interested.
http://www.quaifeamerica.com/
Old 06-23-2005, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by SS32687
LSD will help u control going during the winter road so if u live around cold winter time that slick on the road get LSD! it helps me a lot on my sunfire GT with LSD and once i drove cavi with no LSD it horrible! i couldn't go up the hill at all but my sunfire GT with LSD did so just want to tell ya -kyle-
I was just wondering about that seeing as i'm from the Chicago area and will see occassional snow. LSD is a must I guess.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:44 AM
Banned

LSD in the snow will only help when going strait. When turning you don't want both wheels on a FWD to be slipping.

And every LSD manufacturer say the same things. Torsen, Auburn and so on. You guys belive to much of what you read, remember they are selling it to you. A LSD in a tight corner situation in which a tight suspension is pulling up on the wheel will still spin.

There are to many myths about the LSD here.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Recaro seats are worth their weight in gold. I think they are substantially better than then standard seats(I HAVE spent significant time in both) and give much more back support. I find that I rarely shift my positioning in long trips due to discomfort etc.. I would have gotten the G85 package just for the seats even without an LSD. They are amongst the best seats I've ever sat in in a sub 25K car.

I don't want to start another LSD debate, but I can really give this sucker some gas in the rain and it spins and sputters a tad and then just grabs and pulls. That''s partly due to the pirellis though. They get great traction regardless of LSD help. In dry weather, you can take advantage of all the priellis have to offer. Give enough gas though and you can still leave behind two side by side streaks of your expensive pirelli rubber! It did seem much easier to spin the tires on the non-LSD SS. Burnouts don't last as long with the LSD either. The car just wants to grab and go. I really haven't beat on my car that much though to test extreme differences. Won't have any snow for a few months either so can't comment on that yet and I probably have no more opportunities to drive a non-LSD SS from this point on to really compare.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:35 PM
Banned

I feel so bad when I make my Pirelli's scream.

I have only done one decent spinning take-off just to see what it would do. If you do it just right you can hook and take off like a SOB.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:31 PM

Question Ok , Where do I look for Options ?

On the sticker in the window ? In the glove box on the sticker ?
Thanks,
Old 07-01-2005, 09:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Umm.. the window sticker will have all options. On the window sticker it says Limited Slip Differential and Recaro front bucket seats.
Old 07-01-2005, 09:42 AM

Once people start putting out numbers in the 300-325 HP area...there gonna need the LSD

Quick Reply: Does The Lsd Mean That Much??