Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Having A Hard Time Getting Into Reverse

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 10:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having A Hard Time Getting Into Reverse

Hi, I just bought my first Cobalt today. It is a 2006 SS/SC with 50k miles.

I bought a Cobalt because my friend has a fully loaded LT and loved it.

In his Cobalt, I'm able to find and get into Reverse fine.
As you know, the SS/SC has the "reverse lockout" and it's been giving me the biggest headache I've ever had with a manual transmission. I look like a ******* sitting there, trying to get it into reverse.

I'm squeezing and pulling up the "lever" with my index and middle finger and pulling the stick all the way to the right but it will not go down.

I'm asking for some tips/tricks/help as I can get into 1-5 easy, but I can't even get into reverse.

This is the first manual transmission car I've owned, but I've driven a few cars and would say that I'm experienced enough to drive normally.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:49 PM

IDK what to say I dont have any problems getting mine into reverse
Old 08-22-2011, 10:52 PM
Banned

row it through from first to second, then let the clutch in and out and try it
Old 08-22-2011, 11:17 PM

Received 263 Likes on 222 Posts
with the car not running try shifting into reverse with the clutch pressed. if you have no problem getting it into reverse with the car not running that indicates a problem with the clutch releasing.

where in the pedal travel does the clutch grab? it should start to grab right around 1/2 way between the floor and dash
Old 08-23-2011, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Sharkey
with the car not running try shifting into reverse with the clutch pressed. if you have no problem getting it into reverse with the car not running that indicates a problem with the clutch releasing.

where in the pedal travel does the clutch grab? it should start to grab right around 1/2 way between the floor and dash
mine grabs a lil higher than that.. but i had problems like this with my car also after having it for a while..

noted it to the dealership, an after they had it for a lil for testing, they told me it'd praly be a simple fix... but 2.5 months later, i ended up gettin a new transmission after a couple complaints to GM.. so i dont really KNOW what was wrong lol but it happened to me 2, still happens now..
I jus put it in 3rd an then in Reverse.. its natural now, i dont even think about it, i jus figure its a cobalt thing
Old 08-23-2011, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by 05Slowline
row it through from first to second, then let the clutch in and out and try it
I tried this with the car off, and it wouldn't go.

Originally Posted by Sharkey

It won't go when the car is off either. But I'd say that's where my clutch grabs.

Originally Posted by MastaShaKe_88
mine grabs a lil higher than that.. but i had problems like this with my car also after having it for a while..

noted it to the dealership, an after they had it for a lil for testing, they told me it'd praly be a simple fix... but 2.5 months later, i ended up gettin a new transmission after a couple complaints to GM.. so i dont really KNOW what was wrong lol but it happened to me 2, still happens now..
I jus put it in 3rd an then in Reverse.. its natural now, i dont even think about it, i jus figure its a cobalt thing
Also tried putting it in 3rd then Reverse.

I lifted the boot cover to see where the reverse lockout was going. I hit the side of the half ring, the path of reverse, then pull the lever up. The path matches, just doesn't want to go down.

Are you supposed to hold the lever always until you get it into reverse, or what?
I'm really new to the idea of "reverse lockout" and I really wish my SS/TC didn't have it right now.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:57 AM

your clutch alignment is off
Old 08-23-2011, 10:00 AM

yea, you gotta hold the 'head' up until you get into reverse.. it sounds like you have another problem tho
Old 08-23-2011, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by hawlyns711
your clutch alignment is off
That requires replacing the clutch, doesn't it?

yea, you gotta hold the 'head' up until you get into reverse.. it sounds like you have another problem tho
Okay, and it shouldn't really require excessive force, right?
It probably is a different problem..

Funny thing about cars. I test drove it twice, and twice it went in reverse for me easily. Now that it's at its new home, it doesn't wanna work.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:13 AM

well when your clutch isn't aligned things in your trans aren't timing themselves correctly and thus not at the same speed. not super sure about your problem if it's stock. maybe just adjust where the shifter grabs on to the shifter cables (the RH cable I believe)
Old 08-23-2011, 11:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try turning the car on, putting it in first, creeping forward a bit, then putting it in reverse. It should slip right in.

My car has done this from time to time ever since it was new and that is how I get it to work. Minor inconvenience really.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:19 AM

just go from first to reverse
Old 08-23-2011, 11:21 AM
RHZ

I would try adjusting the shifter cables, it's actually quite easy to do. Might as well pick up the TWM cable clamp while you're at it and replace the stock clamp (it's plastic garbage).
Old 08-23-2011, 11:22 AM

if it has a aftermarket shifter on it the knob might be on too tight not letting the lockout come up all the way...so twist the knob to the left a few turns and see if that helps
Old 08-23-2011, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by hawlyns711
well when your clutch isn't aligned things in your trans aren't timing themselves correctly and thus not at the same speed. not super sure about your problem if it's stock. maybe just adjust where the shifter grabs on to the shifter cables (the RH cable I believe)
The car itself is stock, besides the exhaust and suspension. I'll have to take a look at the shifter cables then.

Originally Posted by Pyros777
Try turning the car on, putting it in first, creeping forward a bit, then putting it in reverse. It should slip right in.

My car has done this from time to time ever since it was new and that is how I get it to work. Minor inconvenience really.
Do you have the clutch in basically the whole time? (Besides having to let up to creep forward a bit)

Originally Posted by blake05SS
just go from first to reverse
+1 ^

Originally Posted by RHZ
I would try adjusting the shifter cables, it's actually quite easy to do. Might as well pick up the TWM cable clamp while you're at it and replace the stock clamp (it's plastic garbage).
Could you link me to something, or should I should I search around in the "how-to"s?

Originally Posted by CobaltVenomSS
if it has a aftermarket shifter on it the knob might be on too tight not letting the lockout come up all the way...so twist the knob to the left a few turns and see if that helps
It is the stock shifter knob, but I'm going to give this a try anyway.

Thanks for the all the suggestion, guys. I really appreciate it. Other than my door being stuck, which I posted about in the problems forum, this is the only other thing that's bugging me about this car. Otherwise, I'd be in love with it. Not so much right now, but thanks to all of you.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:06 PM

Yes clutch in the whole time except when you move forward, otherwise it wouldnt shift at all.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Pyros777
Yes clutch in the whole time except when you move forward, otherwise it wouldnt shift at all.
Just making sure, as maybe you would've let it out then push back in in neutral coming from first.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:50 PM
RHZ

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/how-...nstall-235859/

Here's some info on the TWM cable clamp. I just recently installed the TWM short shifter with this clamp- If the clamp is not adjusted properly you will be unable to put the car into reverse. This may or may not be your issue. You can always play around with the stock clamp and try different positions. I believe the correct distance is 11.2mm

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Check out the TWM website for further instructions. It only takes about 5 minutes to get access to the clamp. Take a flathead screwdriver to unclip the clamp to adjust the proper distance.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:51 PM
RHZ

btw - fyi that distance is measuring from the cable clamp which is hidden in the photo.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:12 PM

thats what i do. i put it into 4th and then reverse. it's natural as well. i realize that i do it automatically now
Old 08-23-2011, 04:39 PM
Banned

yea if it dont go in after what i said then it's not the "normal" lsj tranny deal lol
Old 08-23-2011, 05:56 PM

I just went through this is my ss/tc. I was fighting me for a couple months going into reverse before it finally gave out. Dealer ordered a new shifter cable and put it in. Perfect ever since.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by RHZ
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/how-...nstall-235859/

Here's some info on the TWM cable clamp. I just recently installed the TWM short shifter with this clamp- If the clamp is not adjusted properly you will be unable to put the car into reverse. This may or may not be your issue. You can always play around with the stock clamp and try different positions. I believe the correct distance is 11.2mm

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Check out the TWM website for further instructions. It only takes about 5 minutes to get access to the clamp. Take a flathead screwdriver to unclip the clamp to adjust the proper distance.
Thanks for all the information. I went ahead and played with the clip. Seems to be working for me now.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and comments. This forum is awesome, and I'm glad to be a part of the SS owners club.