Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

How to change tranny fluid in automatic

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 02:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for this...this should be a sticky!
Old 02-17-2012, 02:31 AM

Lol. Some people need to back off the hate. I realized Sharkey was at least a mechanic a long time ago, since his posts usually were helpful and informative.

To the people that hate, give your head a shake.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Changed today. Almost 67k miles on original filter and fluid. It was pretty bad. Shards of metal and fluid was on the darker side. Magnet was FULL.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:17 PM

Received 263 Likes on 222 Posts
realisticly, how deep was the sludge on the magnet? you will always have some on it, and when servicing at higher mileage intervals you will have a lot more on it. i wouldnt be too concerned if its 1/8" deep or less. also the past on the magnet isnt the biggest concern, its shards, chunks, or slivers that are more concerning. clumps of brass are also something to be concerned about, that means a bushing wearing out.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sharkey
realisticly, how deep was the sludge on the magnet? you will always have some on it, and when servicing at higher mileage intervals you will have a lot more on it. i wouldnt be too concerned if its 1/8" deep or less. also the past on the magnet isnt the biggest concern, its shards, chunks, or slivers that are more concerning. clumps of brass are also something to be concerned about, that means a bushing wearing out.
Not sure on thickness. Originally thought the magnet was ribbed only to wipe it off and find out it was flat.

Definitely slivers and shards of metal.

Ill be changing more often now. 25-30k miles

Dex 6 is spendy!!
Old 02-28-2018, 09:05 PM

drop the pan, change the filter, re-use the gasket (its a re-usable gasket, dont replace it with cork or neoprene, it will leak) and re-install the pan. fill the tranny up through the black plug on the top, put 6L of dexron VI in. start the car, put it in forward and reverse for 3 seconds, return to park. with the engine still running get under it and on the passenger side of the tranny case near the passenger side axle there is a 7/16" plug. remove the plug (have something to catch oil with) and let the oil drain out till its just dripping. if no oil drains out add fluid till it does. . re-install the plug before shutting the car off, and dont forget to put the fill cap back in the top of the tranny.

checking the level needs to be done with the car on 4 jackstands. its important the car is level or you wont get the fluid level set correctly.
hello I saw this post an see u know what your talking about I need help I did a transmission fuild change on my 07 Chevy colbolt and I changed the filter and gasket and it still leaked so I see u said to re used the gasket so I tried that and it still leaked around the pan where the bolts are is there any kind of gasket I should get or what else can I try I’ve been bonding stuff around the pan to seal it nothing is working any suggestions thank u
Old 03-01-2018, 12:34 AM

where about on the pan rail are you seeing the leak from? did you have a leak in this area before you changed the fluid and filter? id actually suspect something else is leaking down onto the pan rail, either an axle seal (these transmission are known for axle seal leaks) or perhaps the case has taken an impact and has a crack. have a good look at it, make sure you clean everything off and see where the oil is coming from.

ive seen in the past where after using a cork or neoprene gasket (non reusable type) where the pan get warped, and in many cases its impossible to get the pan rail flat enough for the factory reusable gasket to seal again. what id recommend at this point is to ditch the gasket entirely and just use a bead of silicone. your going to have to get the pan completely free of oil, put a bead of silicone on the pan rail, and make sure you go right around the bolt holes, wipe off the transmission case and quickly slam the pan on. id recommend either Rite Stuff silicone or loctite brand black silicone (stay away from permatex ultra grey or ultra black).
Old 03-01-2018, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Samantha Jane Foley

hello I saw this post an see u know what your talking about I need help I did a transmission fuild change on my 07 Chevy colbolt and I changed the filter and gasket and it still leaked so I see u said to re used the gasket so I tried that and it still leaked around the pan where the bolts are is there any kind of gasket I should get or what else can I try I’ve been bonding stuff around the pan to seal it nothing is working any suggestions thank u
How long do I let the silicone sit before adding transmission fluid
Old 03-01-2018, 01:30 PM

id let it set up for an hour if you can, but most silicone will be fine with oil within 10 minutes.
Old 03-02-2018, 11:36 AM

Update on 07 colbalt

drop the pan, change the filter, re-use the gasket (its a re-usable gasket, dont replace it with cork or neoprene, it will leak) and re-install the pan. fill the tranny up through the black plug on the top, put 6L of dexron VI in. start the car, put it in forward and reverse for 3 seconds, return to park. with the engine still running get under it and on the passenger side of the tranny case near the passenger side axle there is a 7/16" plug. remove the plug (have something to catch oil with) and let the oil drain out till its just dripping. if no oil drains out add fluid till it does. . re-install the plug before shutting the car off, and dont forget to put the fill cap back in the top of the tranny.

checking the level needs to be done with the car on 4 jackstands. its important the car is level or you wont get the fluid level set correctly.
hello one last question you have been very helpful I got a new oil pan with a new gasket should I use any silicone with the gasket and will cold weather snow affect doing it at all I’m going to try a new pan and gasket first do I still put silicone on it too ok thank u
Old 03-02-2018, 01:46 PM

dont use silicone and a gasket, thats a big no-no. just put it together with the new pan and gasket.
Old 03-03-2018, 10:35 PM

Update on 07 colbalt

where about on the pan rail are you seeing the leak from? did you have a leak in this area before you changed the fluid and filter? id actually suspect something else is leaking down onto the pan rail, either an axle seal (these transmission are known for axle seal leaks) or perhaps the case has taken an impact and has a crack. have a good look at it, make sure you clean everything off and see where the oil is coming from.

ive seen in the past where after using a cork or neoprene gasket (non reusable type) where the pan get warped, and in many cases its impossible to get the pan rail flat enough for the factory reusable gasket to seal again. what id recommend at this point is to ditch the gasket entirely and just use a bead of silicone. your going to have to get the pan completely free of oil, put a bead of silicone on the pan rail, and make sure you go right around the bolt holes, wipe off the transmission case and quickly slam the pan on. id recommend either Rite Stuff silicone or loctite brand black silicone (stay away from permatex ultra grey or ultra black).
just letting u I tried the new oil pan and new gasket and thank god it worked no leaks it took the full 7 quarts thank u for all the help it was greatly appreciated
Old 03-04-2018, 12:43 AM

no problem, glad its fixed
Old 03-31-2020, 12:02 PM

Received 84 Likes on 82 Posts
no problem, glad its fixed
Hi Sharkey so I have a 2.4 auto g5 gt which is also tuned by the way. Last night I was doing some sprited driving and upon coming into my driveway and getting out my car I noticed a really bad smell which I assumed was tranny fluid smell. You think I should do a tranny fluid change or complete flush. I'm afraid to flush based on what others on here have said about it possibly doing more damage if the tranny is already on its way out. However I know I got to service it because I don't want a blown transmission either. Any advice would be appreciated. Tks