Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Info from GM about my clutch problems!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 11:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Info from GM about my clutch problems!

So after having my car for about 2 months I glazed the hell out of the stock clutch. 2 days after installing the XTC CAI, I shifted into 3rd (HARD) and it just free revved. So I bought a Spec Stage 3 and Fidanza Flywheel. Well after about 8 months in the car my clutch pedal is loosing pressure, and I noticed the clutch will slip when shifting into 2nd (HARD). So I go to my local GM dealer and was talking to the head service guy. He let me in on alittle info. GM apparently recognizes the problem now, and he admitted that should noy have used DOT 3 brake/clutch fluid on our cars. Some how the consistency brakes down under heat and causes the clutch to not hold pressure on the flywheel. This is what caused my initial glaze. He told me to go out buy any DOT 4 or higher ( I didn't know it went higher) and bring it back and he'd drain, flush and fill my brake/clutch system for $200. I don't wanna pay that much for what he says might fix my problem. Anyone else run into anything of this sort? The main problem is the clutch pedal sometimes will loose all pressure and I have to hit it to the floor to get any clutch grab and sometimes it's so hard and engages almost instantly. The guy who tried to drive my car on the dyno got out and an made me pull it up, he killed it 3 times trying to roll in 1st. Also, I do sometimes feel this in my brake pedal under heavy braking. It just drops real quick about half way and then it grabs, sometimes I have to let off and reapply to get pressure! Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!
Old 11-16-2007, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Scoot05RedSS
... I go to my local GM dealer and was talking to the head service guy. He let me in on alittle info. GM apparently recognizes the problem now, and he admitted that should noy have used DOT 3 brake/clutch fluid on our cars. Some how the consistency brakes down under heat and causes the clutch to not hold pressure on the flywheel. This is what caused my initial glaze. He told me to go out buy any DOT 4 or higher
And the "crappy clutch mystery" no longer seems so mysterious.

If the dealer recognized this as being a problem, then it's NOT just you or your DRIVING STYLE.

Well, my car goes in next week to have new Nero M&S's put on. So I'm gonna make a copy of this post and show it to them.

If you can, more info would be a great help (Dealer name? Service Manager name?).

Thanks ...
Old 11-16-2007, 05:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
subscribed
Old 11-16-2007, 05:17 PM

subscribed for more info
Old 11-16-2007, 05:21 PM

subscribed..this could geet interesting...
Old 11-16-2007, 05:23 PM

Subscribed could be interesting
Old 11-16-2007, 05:42 PM

Well I don't have much more info, he did not show me anything that says GM has made a service bulletin or anything. If we have anyone on the inside at GM we need some answers! LOL It was at Ross Downing Chevrolet here in Hammond LA.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:38 PM

this is interesting, mine does the same thing, stock, i do know that the clutch uses the same fluid as the brakes, as in they both use the same resevoir, unlike most vehicles that have a seperate clutch and brake fluid resevoir, i know brake fluid is hella corrosive, im wondering if maybe the seals in the tranny have been corroded or something.... ive noticed more recently that the clutch slips from 1st to second under hard shifting, also if you rev the motor a few times, then go to put it in gear, the clutch feels like ****, not like reving it then dumping it, just reving it, letting it idle, then go into gear...... if i have any more ideas, i will let you know
Old 11-16-2007, 06:40 PM

subscribed fo sho sounds interesting
Old 11-16-2007, 06:48 PM

Sounds like a good enough theory....
Old 11-16-2007, 06:49 PM

wow i wounder if it effects the 2.2. sounds bad
Old 11-16-2007, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Scoot05RedSS
Well I don't have much more info, he did not show me anything that says GM has made a service bulletin or anything. If we have anyone on the inside at GM we need some answers! LOL It was at Ross Downing Chevrolet here in Hammond LA.
Well, here's the part the really piqued everyone's interest:

"GM apparently recognizes the problem now ..."

If you could ask him how he specifically received that information, it would help us out a lot.

And getting back to your original dilemma of not wanting to pay $200, some questions:
  • if he admits GM knows that it's a problem, then why is he even charging you for it?
  • at the very least, he should do the job for 1/2 price
  • we need to know if this actually solves the problem
  • if he won't do it for less, then a regular mechanic would probably do it for 1/2 the amount the dealer had quoted you
  • w/o a TSB from GM about this, would using a different fluid void the warranty on other clutch related parts?

Just some questions ...
Old 11-16-2007, 07:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hope its true for all our sakes. a stronger clutch could never hurt.
but at this point my understanding is that its not "GM" recognising it, so much as one tech.....

Time will tell.
would love to see it come out as a TSB, or some actual data/proof to show why the fluid is truely causing the problem.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:47 PM

what i dont understand is when people upgrade the clutches no one reports on having any problems anymore. plus i dont see this coming official as people on this site have proven that you can limit clutch slip through driver input and some people last on stock clutch for a VERY long time, in addition i dont see this being warranty work if you are mildly modded
Old 11-16-2007, 07:56 PM

hmmm this is something i will be asking my mechanic tomorrow, to hear wat he says, if anything, ill change my fluid for the hell of it and let u guys know
Old 11-16-2007, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Coblt ss super
hmmm this is something i will be asking my mechanic tomorrow, to hear wat he says, if anything, ill change my fluid for the hell of it and let u guys know
Please, let us know!
Old 11-16-2007, 10:56 PM

I know you probably dont want to hear this but... STOP beating the **** out of your car.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by JohnnySasakiMGS
I know you probably dont want to hear this but... STOP beating the **** out of your car.
You're Absolutely Right!

We didn't want to hear that.

But thanks anyway....
Old 11-16-2007, 11:07 PM

LOL hey frank.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnnySasakiMGS
rofl

qft
Old 11-16-2007, 11:17 PM

I have no doubt that the stock clutch for the SS/SC is weak and has flaws. I have almost 23km and no problems.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:23 PM

I'm personally sick of this peice of **** GM car. Now, don't flame me here. I love my cobalt but when it comes to some issues I'm just sick of dealing with it. I don't want to worry about all these small problems and it would not be so bad if GM would back it with warnity work and fix the ******* problem.

Originally Posted by firemanfrank
Well, here's the part the really piqued everyone's interest:

"GM apparently recognizes the problem now ..."

If you could ask him how he specifically received that information, it would help us out a lot.

And getting back to your original dilemma of not wanting to pay $200, some questions:
  • if he admits GM knows that it's a problem, then why is he even charging you for it?
  • at the very least, he should do the job for 1/2 price
  • we need to know if this actually solves the problem
  • if he won't do it for less, then a regular mechanic would probably do it for 1/2 the amount the dealer had quoted you
  • w/o a TSB from GM about this, would using a different fluid void the warranty on other clutch related parts?

Just some questions ...

Very good question. He NEEDS to go to bat for all of us here. If not us for himself and ask the right questions. I for one, when I have time will be going to GM and showing them my stock clutch. You should of seen the thing after less then 10k miles on it. Its a joke and was slipping from factory. I told them, and they said that can't duplicate it. So I was SOL.

Last edited by R&C_rallySS; 11-16-2007 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-16-2007, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by R&C_rallySS
I'm personally sick of this peice of **** GM car. Now, don't flame me here. I love my cobalt but when it comes to some issues I'm just sick of dealing with it. I don't want to worry about all these small problems and it would not be so bad if GM would back it with warnity work and fix the ******* problem.
X2. My old 2.4 had a heater core go bad at 13km.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by R&C_rallySS
Where have I heard that before...........
Old 11-16-2007, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by StinkBOMB
Where have I heard that before...........
Lucky bastard. I bet where you are they dont even need friggin mechanics.

Quick Reply: Info from GM about my clutch problems!