Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

LSJ with F23. Modified T-stat housing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 07:31 PM

Received 357 Likes on 318 Posts
LSJ with F23. Modified T-stat housing?

Anybody with an LSJ that has done an F23 swap should have ran into the problem of the T-stat housing interfering with the shifter cable bracket on the F23 transmission. Looking online I have seen people talking about a "modified T-stat housing" but no pictures or discussion on how it is modified.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:44 AM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
they grind the trans and shifter cable bracket
Old 07-25-2017, 10:45 AM

or use a 2.2 t stat hosing and tap the heater hose and lower coolant hose for oil cooler coolant lines
Old 07-25-2017, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by advise
or use a 2.2 t stat hosing and tap the heater hose and lower coolant hose for oil cooler coolant lines
The problem with the 2.2 t-stat housing is that the lower radiator hose is routed right towards the oil cooler and to get around it puts a big kink in the line. Also, looking at where the oil cooler taps into the LSJ t-stat housing it looks like the oil cooler is not meant to get full flow. It looks it is designed to cause only a minor pressure differential so that coolant will only trickle through the oil heat exchanger. I was afraid if I routed the oil cooler, say in line with the heater that it would get too much flow and actually extract too much heat from the oil. This is all just a theory based on how the stock system is setup. I don't know if any of it is accurate.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:40 PM
Platinum Member

Received 584 Likes on 519 Posts
you arent going to cool the oil too much by adding coolant flow... keep in mind that the coolant is always near 200*F
The following users liked this post:
armcclure (03-08-2018)
Old 07-25-2017, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Slowbalt2000
you arent going to cool the oil too much by adding coolant flow... keep in mind that the coolant is always near 200*F
I was just trying to understand why they designed it that way. The oil cooler lines both tap in in nearly the same location. The only thing creating a pressure differential is where it necks down in the cap creating a little resistance.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by jdbaugh1
I was just trying to understand why they designed it that way. The oil cooler lines both tap in in nearly the same location. The only thing creating a pressure differential is where it necks down in the cap creating a little resistance.
i think your over thinking the hose routing
the lnf taps into the lower hose im sure that has a pretty good flow
regardless the whole system is seeing the same pressure
Old 07-26-2017, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by advise
i think your over thinking the hose routing
the lnf taps into the lower hose im sure that has a pretty good flow
regardless the whole system is seeing the same pressure
I'm talking about flow and minute pressure differentials that make the fluid flow. But you guys are right it would probably be fine either way. Just the way it hooks in the two connection points are on the same line. Like you could plug off the oil cooler lines and the coolant would still flow like normal with a very slight pressure drop in the t-stat cap.

Either way I have modified my shifter link bracket to clear the t-stat housing. There was no way around it being sort of a hack job and I had to take off more material than I was comfortable with. Considering getting a backup shifter cable bracket as well as another LSJ T-stat housing that I am going to see if I can modify by trimming down and welding back in a flat plate in the bowl area. Mainly just to see what it would take to be done that way as in my mind seems like it could turn out a little cleaner.
Old 03-05-2018, 08:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hate to be commenting on an older post like this but has anyone found a decent write up on this? I have a few particular things I’m curious about but would be really interested in this swap. Seems pretty cost effective and a stronger transmission.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:09 AM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Chanyeezy
I hate to be commenting on an older post like this but has anyone found a decent write up on this? I have a few particular things I’m curious about but would be really interested in this swap. Seems pretty cost effective and a stronger transmission.
It's pretty straightforward. Is there anything specific you're wanting to know?
Old 03-08-2018, 11:15 AM
Platinum Member

Received 584 Likes on 519 Posts
Originally Posted by armcclure
Yeah id like to know why you only log on once a year.
Old 03-08-2018, 01:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by armcclure
nope made a post and some other guys helped me out, thanks though! If I run into anything I’ll let you know
The following users liked this post:
armcclure (03-12-2018)