Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

motor mounts

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
motor mounts

My balt is due for a set of motor mounts. I'm tired of the jerking back and forth with the weak rubberband stock ones. What brand and from who would you recommend that won't hit my wallet to hard. Vibration and such dont bother me.
Thanks in advance
Old 09-13-2011, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts
the only mod for the jerking back and forth is the driver mod, i got used to it and don't get the jerking anymore.

however if you want a 95% cure for wheel hop and smoother shifting, i bought the ottp stage 1 rotated mounts. they were on sale when i got them for like 115 compared to their usual 260 so check that out. i love them, real easy swap, and only a little vibration, mostly if the ac is on and only at idle
Old 09-13-2011, 10:49 AM

heh Driver mod for sure I do alot of highway driving, and in a traffic jam, sometimes dont feel like taking it easy, or just a little fast off the stopsign or light. My poor balt just turned 108k miles and still going strong, but new mounts would make her feel better. Thank you for the quick reply. I will check into them.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:02 AM
Former Vendor

TTR Mounts for the tranny work very well. Despite the rumors that people like to place on them having vibes, they don't. Ive had numerous people get in my car and ask if they were still on, you can't tell. The only time you notice them is if you lug it from a light where it would vibrate anyway, its just more exaggerated then. And when the AC first turns on or the fan, it has a slight shake but goes right away.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:11 AM
Former Vendor

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by BYT*SS*TURBO
TTR Mounts for the tranny work very well. Despite the rumors that people like to place on them having vibes, they don't. Ive had numerous people get in my car and ask if they were still on, you can't tell. The only time you notice them is if you lug it from a light where it would vibrate anyway, its just more exaggerated then. And when the AC first turns on or the fan, it has a slight shake but goes right away.
Thanks Nick for your long, long, term review. Vibs do appear at first but do settle/go away as you have confirmed, yet even after the initial break it, everything is very rigid.

Thottle response is increased
Smoother shifts
Reduction/elimination of wheel hop
These are just a few of the benifits.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:16 AM

Sorry to post over this. When I'm on the highway/ city and any speed when cruising I get bad jerks when giving it gas and letting it off.. is this do to motor mount/ tranny mounts or just the driver lol.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:22 AM
Former Vendor

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by blackdew21
Sorry to post over this. When I'm on the highway/ city and any speed when cruising I get bad jerks when giving it gas and letting it off.. is this do to motor mount/ tranny mounts or just the driver lol.
Best thing to do is to inspect the stock mounts, pull them off and find out if one or all are tore... Most times something "clunks" when mounts fail, as part rub on each other.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So you get an idea... compare a car with all poly mounts- TTR engine mount and transmission mount inserts (vid 1) and one with stock rubber (vid 2):

when he lets off the gas at around 1:02 = no movement

Chevy Cobalt SS/SC - YouTube

when he lets off the gas at 1:15 and 1:36 = all over the place

Chevy Cobalt SS/SC - YouTube!
Old 09-13-2011, 11:53 AM

TTR ftmfw
Old 09-13-2011, 12:14 PM
Former Vendor

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by BYT*SS*TURBO
You can't honestly say they don't have vibes. Are you comparing them to solid steel motor mounts? Anytime you compare any poly mount to a stock rubber mount it is going to have more vibration. You can't have the engine held rock steddy and not have more NVH. Some people even say our stage 2 mounts have vibes and they are a rubber bushing with a void in it. What this means is different people have different levels of what they feel is acceptable for vibes no matter the mounts manufacturer.

For the OP

Some facts about the mounts out right now.

All are made from 6061 aluminum, OTTP and TTR mounts have the nicest machined finish, ZZP uses some sort of a production finish on theirs which dulls the surface. PRS uses to thin of material so one side will always be plain un-machined alumium.

3 brands are made in the usa , OTTP, ZZP, TTR. PRS are made in canada.

TTR are the only ones with poly, ZZP uses a solid rubber bushing, OTTP uses a voided rubber bushing and I think PRS does as well.

All 4 rotate the engine....how much? I would guess about the same amount.

The last fact....we have sold more mounts than any other company, we have over a 1300 sets sold. We also have the lowest priced mounts available.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:18 PM
Former Vendor

You aren't replacing all of the mounts so there is still some give. Any yes, I can honestly say after the first week you will not notice a thing. Again, many people have gotten in my car and had no clue they were on there.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:26 PM

i can definitely say there are hardly any extra vibrations. i hardly drive my car so it took a little longer to work in the mounts.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:12 PM
Former Vendor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
All bs aside, copiers of genuine Powell hardcore rotated mounts and all, the movement you see on the road wheel on the dyno is not the engine mounts as much as its the stock control arm bushings permitting the wheel to move fore and aft...
Old 09-13-2011, 02:16 PM
Former Vendor

^Very true.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:32 PM

I had a TTR solid mount and poly bushings and it vibrated quite a bit. The seats vibrated when the air was on. It made the car very loud inside. Most noticeably in the back seat. It didn't used to bother me but when my wife got pregnant I knew there was no way a baby could be in the back seat. I sold the motor mount and it definitely made it quieter. Now I have a Powell rotated mount and stock rear waiting to replace the poly bushings. Hopefully that decreases the noise even more.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:01 PM
Former Vendor

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh@ottp
You can't honestly say they don't have vibes. Are you comparing them to solid steel motor mounts? Anytime you compare any poly mount to a stock rubber mount it is going to have more vibration. You can't have the engine held rock steddy and not have more NVH. Some people even say our stage 2 mounts have vibes and they are a rubber bushing with a void in it. What this means is different people have different levels of what they feel is acceptable for vibes no matter the mounts manufacturer.

For the OP

Some facts about the mounts out right now.

All are made from 6061 aluminum, OTTP and TTR mounts have the nicest machined finish, ZZP uses some sort of a production finish on theirs which dulls the surface. PRS uses to thin of material so one side will always be plain un-machined alumium.

3 brands are made in the usa , OTTP, ZZP, TTR. PRS are made in canada.

TTR are the only ones with poly, ZZP uses a solid rubber bushing, OTTP uses a voided rubber bushing and I think PRS does as well.

All 4 rotate the engine....how much? I would guess about the same amount.

The last fact....we have sold more mounts than any other company, we have over a 1300 sets sold. We also have the lowest priced mounts available.
Apparently I was wrong. Maybe John will confirm but I think they now make their mounts from steel to lower the cost.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:53 AM

WoW!!! way more information than I have expected. I thank you all, and will consume one beer for each of you. Josh, you win with your wisdom of the arts of the motor mount. Sell me what I need.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:06 PM

If you want a good deal on used mounts, look in my sig.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by riceburner
the only mod for the jerking back and forth is the driver mod, i got used to it and don't get the jerking anymore.

however if you want a 95% cure for wheel hop and smoother shifting, i bought the ottp stage 1 rotated mounts. they were on sale when i got them for like 115 compared to their usual 260 so check that out. i love them, real easy swap, and only a little vibration, mostly if the ac is on and only at idle

Is this what you baught?
OTTP Rotated Trans Mounts - Over The Top Performance

It seems to be just the transmition mounts? Is that correct? Will I need any other mounts for it
as well? Or is that all I need?