Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Ok all you cobalt geniuses I need help! CLUTCH ISSUE?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 08:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok all you cobalt geniuses I need help! CLUTCH ISSUE?

I have a 2006 cobalt coupe ss 2.4l manual. To start, I am no car nerd. I wish I was so forgive me for the "stupid" sounding "chick" talk when it comes to the car issues.

For a while now I have noticed when I put the car in first gear and shut the engine off that it will roll if on a small incline. No, I could not use the emergency brake since it is messed up as well. My husband was driving and got out to open my gate. The car started to roll and I was in the backseat with my baby. The only thing I could think of to do was to grab the brake and pull up. Well when I did that, the cable popped off the clip. I looked on this site and printed some instructions off and fixed it myself. It lasted for a bit but now it has no tension again like before and it will not hold the car still. If you pull extremely hard up as far as it can go, it will hold it in neutral on a flat surface. I have not checked to see if it has slipped off again. The fact that it holds a bit when all the way up tells me probably not and it may be stretched or something. I plan on getting it fixed while we work on the other problem.

Back to rolling....It has gotten worse. Now I also notice that when putting the shifter in reverse it seems like wants to hang up. It almost feels like you are missing a shift and your gears grind a tad. So I am sure my clutch needs to be replaced. I do not really have a problem with anything else other than reverse and rolling. Does the rolling go hand in hand with the clutch? What is the best thing to do? Where is the best place to buy a good but cheap one? Do I need to go ahead and buy the whole kit?
Old 02-13-2012, 11:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
when you put car in gear when its shut off w/o parking brake it will roll like a couple of inches its just backlash between gears in transmission, for your parking brake maybe low pads or ceased parking brake mechanism in calipers, a good way to check your clutch is put in 4th gear and try to take of from a stop and your car should stall out if not your clutch is most likely worn out hopefully this helps out