Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Is Royal Purple worth it??

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 02:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by InfinityzeN
People have also successfully used them by attaching them to the bottom of their oil pans near the drain. A magnetized oil drain plug is normally a waste of money. They are commonly made by magnetizing iron, which looses its charge.
idk...it seemed to work well on the mustang differential....had like 5mm of metal shavings on that bolt... but w/e

and tone down the hostility...the ******* comment wasn't needed
Old 04-28-2007, 03:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
royal purple is ok, i'd take mobil 1 over RP though.

amsoil is good stuff but if you want the best go with VP.

do a search on this topic, i believe someone used the same topic line before, the same question has been asked.
Old 04-28-2007, 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by HunterKiller89
idk...it seemed to work well on the mustang differential....had like 5mm of metal shavings on that bolt... but w/e

and tone down the hostility...the ******* comment wasn't needed
The magnetized iron will loose its charge over time. Who knows, you might be able to find a drain plug with rare earth magnets in its core.

As for the hostility, he would not read my post completely and kept accusing me of being an advertising believing drone. I got tired of it very quickly.
Old 04-28-2007, 01:19 PM

I would still change the oil in a reasonable manner when it gets dirty and looks to be changed. I've been using Mobil 1 and go about 5k before i change the oil and filter. But the point i think that is being made by using a better oil that doesn't breakdown so fast and provides better protection for the engine. That's why it can go 15k-20k because it protects the engine that well and doesn't breakdown as fast. Not saying someone is going to change it every 25k miles but the fact that in testing and it lasts that long before it starts to breakdown has to tell u something
Old 04-28-2007, 02:42 PM

I run royal purple in my SS/SC, there isnt any noticeable difference in performance, but i have noticed that the car does seem to run a little smoother.

I have also tryed the royal purple "Purple Ice" additive for my coolant (suppose to lower coolant temps) and it only really lowered it by 5 degrees celcius
Old 04-28-2007, 08:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CobaltCoupeCrazy
I also know a guy that had his engine rebuilt and they mechanice asked what oil he was using. He told the mechanic that he used Castrol 10W-30 and changed it every 3,000 miles. Mechanic says to him that he's been rebuilding engines for like forever and has never seen one that looked so bad inside and would never again use Castrol.

ive noticed the same thing on 2 different tear downs, and seeing others tear downs. i would never use castrol.

now i have used royal purple and it was good. it made the engine feel different, in a good way. i wouldnt say it added power. i have also used quaker state full syn alot and my one saturn engine that always used it came out very clean even with 168000 miles.

but $1 difference between royal purple and mobil 1 (or about no difference if its extended performance) leaves a personal choice to what you want to use.
Old 04-28-2007, 08:03 PM

Not to hi-jack the thread but using an engine cleaner that u add to the oil and let run for 20mins and then do an oil change, how often is this necessary?
Old 04-28-2007, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by CobaltSS422
Not to hi-jack the thread but using an engine cleaner that u add to the oil and let run for 20mins and then do an oil change, how often is this necessary?
engine cleaner? if you seriously do that, get kerosene. thats like all that is. but as long as you change your oil normally, hopefully before oil life indicator tells you to, then you dont need to clean out the engine.
Old 04-28-2007, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by CobaltSS422
it's not.

that kinda stuff is basically snake oil, we used to use it at used car lots i worked at. it does get a lot of crap out, but it's not good for seals.

actually, a quart of denatured alcohol worked better, but that REALLY is rough on the engine.

if you're worried about dirt, do a short change of the oil, in other words, change the oil, run it for like... 200 miles and then change it again.

also, on older cars, i would like to change the oil, do an italian tune up, and then change it again. get a lot of dirt out.
Old 04-28-2007, 09:04 PM

OK GUYS DO NOT FOR ANY REASON RUN YOUR OIL (ANY BRAND) LONGER THAN 3k MILES IF YOU HAVE MODS!!!!!

SS/SC ARE VERY PRONE TO BLOWBY @ HIGH BOOST
BLOWBY=FUEL CONTAMINATED OIL (EVER WONDER WHY YOUR OIL IS BLACK)

AMSoil and Royal Purple are the best out there but do your motor a favor and change it every 3k miles
(if you want to be a cheap bastard @ least change the filter every 3k miles. and oil every 6K)