Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Shifter loose all of a sudden?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 07:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shifter loose all of a sudden?

I figure that the shifter will loosen some over time, but I've had my SS/SC for 2 weeks now and all of a sudden, I was driving home Sunday night, heard a "ping" type noise and now my shifter seems significantly looser than it was before. Has this happened with anyone else's SS/SC? When I first got the car there was some resistance to it going between gears, now it seems very free and there's very little resistance when I shift.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem? I'm assuming it would be under warranty, since the car's less than a month old.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:39 PM
Premium Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been having problems with 2nd gear popping out on me. Although I've had it in to my dealer twice, they say they can't find anything wrong. However, it was quite stiff when I first got it also, having to almost force it into gear. But after I picked it up from the dealer the first time that I had taken it back in, it was definately moving smoother and "looser" between the gears. I had thought they had fixed it, until several days later it popped out again. It does it often, now, I just haven't had the time to take it in to the dealer for the 3rd try, more than likely it will be a different dealer.

If it's just shifting smoother, no grinding or gears popping out like mine, then I wouldn't worry about it. But then, I'm not a mechanic either...
Old 07-12-2005, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by mken
I've been having problems with 2nd gear popping out on me. Although I've had it in to my dealer twice, they say they can't find anything wrong. However, it was quite stiff when I first got it also, having to almost force it into gear. But after I picked it up from the dealer the first time that I had taken it back in, it was definately moving smoother and "looser" between the gears. I had thought they had fixed it, until several days later it popped out again. It does it often, now, I just haven't had the time to take it in to the dealer for the 3rd try, more than likely it will be a different dealer.

If it's just shifting smoother, no grinding or gears popping out like mine, then I wouldn't worry about it. But then, I'm not a mechanic either...
I'm going to ask my dad and my friend about it...honestly this is the first manual transmission I've ever owned! The only problem I had other than it getting loose all of a sudden was that I tried downshifting twice that same day and it would not go into gear. I was at about 1500 RPM so I wasn't going too fast, even at that I still made sure to try and match revs at about 2200 (which is where it usually jumps to) and it still wouldn't go into gear. I'm going to give it a few days and see how it does. I haven't had any problems popping out of gear or anything.

At least I know that yours got looser too. I'll see what my dad says about it and if all else fails I'll take it in under warranty.

Thanks for the insight!
Old 07-12-2005, 10:14 PM

i did not find the gear box to loosen up all that much but i too have had it pop out of second gear on several occasions just thought it was me anyways the ping noise is what i would be concerned about. it should loosen up a liitle but not go ping and be little to no resitance.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:38 PM
Banned

i have never had a problem with teh gears so far except it beinga brand new car and teh gears are brand new and kinda got that tight stiff feeling

knock on wood nothin happens to my tranny
Old 07-18-2005, 07:37 PM
The Stig

Originally Posted by alleycat58
I'm going to ask my dad and my friend about it...honestly this is the first manual transmission I've ever owned! The only problem I had other than it getting loose all of a sudden was that I tried downshifting twice that same day and it would not go into gear. I was at about 1500 RPM so I wasn't going too fast, even at that I still made sure to try and match revs at about 2200 (which is where it usually jumps to) and it still wouldn't go into gear. I'm going to give it a few days and see how it does. I haven't had any problems popping out of gear or anything.

At least I know that yours got looser too. I'll see what my dad says about it and if all else fails I'll take it in under warranty.

Thanks for the insight!
The REV's have to be right. You should only need slight pressure on the shifter for it to go into gear.

For example: When I come to a stop sign I press in the clutch and put pressure on the shifter towards first. As the revs drop it almost sucks it into place.

However, if this just suddenly happened after it was working fine for you, then you should have it looked at.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:44 PM
Banned

It shifts fine to me, maybe you just got some crazy clutch. That or you burned your clutch linings out already

I'm just waiting for something bad to happen again to my car after I get it back from the dealership tomorrow or the next day after words.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by sneaky
It shifts fine to me, maybe you just got some crazy clutch. That or you burned your clutch linings out already

I'm just waiting for something bad to happen again to my car after I get it back from the dealership tomorrow or the next day after words.
I don't know about the clutch linings, I guess it's a possibility since I've never driven a street car with a manual on an every day basis. I drove a full race car with one, but those are pretty different and built to take abuse and I've driven a couple friends cars since getting the SS.

Like I said, I haven't done anything to my knowledge that would burn the clutch linings, I've never smelled the clutch burning at all. I DO know the SS clutch feels different from just about every car I've been in. You don't have to push the pedal down far at all for it to disengage, maybe an inch or less. And the clutch holds on hills a lot better than other cars, I rarely drift back much at all when I start up.

Who knows. The problem (if there is one) seems to be in the shifter. Second gear feels REALLY loose, much looser than any of the other gears. First puts up a little resistance, second has next to no resistance, then third, fourth, and fifth all feel like they should I guess.

I'm taking it in to get it looked at. I'm trying to get GM to replace my light sensor and I have some other minor stuff I want looked at too so I'm going to have them look at the transmission as well, that's why new cars have warranties.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by MarcS
The REV's have to be right. You should only need slight pressure on the shifter for it to go into gear.
That could be it too, as I've adjusted to having a manual maybe I'm shifting a little cleaner and at the right revs too, I know I've become a LOT smoother since getting the car.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:43 PM
The Stig

Originally Posted by alleycat58
I don't know about the clutch linings, I guess it's a possibility since I've never driven a street car with a manual on an every day basis. I drove a full race car with one, but those are pretty different and built to take abuse and I've driven a couple friends cars since getting the SS.

Like I said, I haven't done anything to my knowledge that would burn the clutch linings, I've never smelled the clutch burning at all. I DO know the SS clutch feels different from just about every car I've been in. You don't have to push the pedal down far at all for it to disengage, maybe an inch or less. And the clutch holds on hills a lot better than other cars, I rarely drift back much at all when I start up.

Who knows. The problem (if there is one) seems to be in the shifter. Second gear feels REALLY loose, much looser than any of the other gears. First puts up a little resistance, second has next to no resistance, then third, fourth, and fifth all feel like they should I guess.

I'm taking it in to get it looked at. I'm trying to get GM to replace my light sensor and I have some other minor stuff I want looked at too so I'm going to have them look at the transmission as well, that's why new cars have warranties.
Try to do a stop at a corner or stop sign. Downshift to 2nd then press in the clutch and let the rev's drop. While the rev's are falling, press the stick towards 1st but don't jam it in. You should feel it getting easier and easier to push it as the rev's fall. Obviously don't let the clutch out until you're ready to go

1st does feel tough for me sometimes when I shift at irregular rpm's(with the clutch in)
2nd gear should feel loose if you shift around 3k.

This is my first car with a stick too and I did experience different shifter behavior based on what rev's I shifted at.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:47 PM

the only problem i have is when im at a stop, or slowing going around in second... first gear is real tough to get into, sometimes i go into 3rd without realizing it until im going too slow...