Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Tranny mount UPGRADE

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 08:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by littless
I just did this same thing yesterday but, i did not pay 130 dollars or what ever the cost was. i paid 22.50. i did not want all the vibrations from solid mount like what you are getting so i took my mount out cut all the rubber out and use 80 shore poly urethane and filled it back up. i get a little vibration at idle but hey you have to take the good with the bad. this is by far the best mod that is available! i also have the goofy guy brace as well and with these two on i have not wheel hop.

damn you got to love the forums!!!!!
I was considering doing this with keeping the rubbe in and just filling the empy space with some rubber material. I bet if you did that on the front and rear mount it would be better. I am assuming that just cut out the two rubber bumpers on the front mount and not the cross section that holds onto the frame.??
Old 11-23-2005, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Chevypowered
I was considering doing this with keeping the rubbe in and just filling the empy space with some rubber material. I bet if you did that on the front and rear mount it would be better. I am assuming that just cut out the two rubber bumpers on the front mount and not the cross section that holds onto the frame.??
yes you are correct i have pics i just need to post them up which i will try to do later today
Old 11-28-2005, 01:01 AM

If you have bad vibration,wont the ecu pick it up as knock and retard the timing? thus hurting performance?
Old 11-28-2005, 09:30 AM

Not that i know of because the sensor is on the engine block, i think right on the crank but not totaly sure. Definitly doesn't hurt performance. I raced a stock ss s/c and pulled on it the whole time so i would say no.

I will take a look a my knock thing on my guage the next time i drive it.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:36 PM

^^^Damn you and your fancy mods. I'm the stock SS/SC he rode with and then raced against, so I can vouch for his claims. Little vibration (didn't bother me any), lot of zip. I'm definately looking at doing the same with mine after having ridden in his.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:36 AM

I drove it today and it showed 0 knock retard, i'll keep a close eye on it though.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:49 AM

where did you get the rubber stuff at to use? what is it called again??
Old 12-10-2005, 03:08 AM

So the car seems noticeably quicker with the tranny mount on there? Assuming because the wheel hop is eliminated?
Old 12-10-2005, 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by Tofu
So the car seems noticeably quicker with the tranny mount on there? Assuming because the wheel hop is eliminated?

And also less movement from the engine. The engine stays put and the car is able to use some of that power that is lost with a plush mount. I had a 2002 Cavalier with a Mark Pain's Lower Motor Mount and the vibrations were not that bad. You do get use to them after a while and you won't even notice it anymore. Acceleration is a tad bit quicker
Old 12-10-2005, 09:47 AM

Yeah i think i going to team it up with the weapon r deal thats supposed to help if i can get some more info on it, either that or bu a rear one as well
Old 12-10-2005, 10:34 AM

so i looked on their site and i see 2 different part numbers and also 2 different prices, which one is which? also which other mounts do they make if any besides this one?
Old 12-10-2005, 10:37 AM

Its $250, i would call them and tell them what you want since there site is so out of date. Its the alunimum tranny mount and is somewhat new so it won't be on there site.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:58 AM

ok cool thanx.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:21 AM

Glad I know my way around a machine shop, no way in hell would I give that kind of loot for that! I'll buy a stock one and modify it myself.
Just as long as the damn thing does'nt run a boat load to begin with!
Then I can just do a swap and modify the original and put it the shelf

Good job littless
By the way what is the "goofy guy brace"?
Old 12-10-2005, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by sunburst 2.4L
Glad I know my way around a machine shop, no way in hell would I give that kind of loot for that! I'll buy a stock one and modify it myself.

Good job littless

You might know your way around a maching shop but to make the piece you will have several hours of labor and it will prob not come out to be as nice, and it would be unlikely that you

can get the bushings made, but if you can let me know so i can get some softer ones made. As you can see the one i have does not look like the ones in their pictures. Its a completely

new piece and it does not use any part of the existing stock piece so it is stonger. with the stock one it would be easy to make those pieces to hold the new rubber bushings but i would rather have new ones that i can just swap out.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:39 AM

I understand where your coming from but , I am a tool and diemaker by trade
This piece is going on my list of things to do - at the bottom! Too many projects and too little time

Cut out the rubber as above stated
Get some urethane
Machine a few thou over (have to have part for dims)
Freeze
Press in
Save a **** load
Basically
Old 12-10-2005, 11:46 AM

I understand where your coming from but , I am a tool and diemaker by trade
This piece is going on my list of things to do - at the bottom! Too many projects and too little time

Cut out the rubber as above stated
Get some urethane
Machine a few thou over (have to have part for dims)
Freeze
Press in
Save a **** load
Basically

Ok, ok i see so you do work with this stuff alot. I was considering making a plate for the supercharger so i can run some water injection but havn't had time. We have a buunch of maching tools out in the garage, just need to find some time to draw one up and make it. If you do have that experience then making one should be easy and should take too long. I've used auto cad a few times to make some costum parts for my truck, the result was perfect.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:50 PM

Good job littless
Okay...First log on to the McMaster-Carr web site. Your looking for Flexible Urethane,. They have a terrible layout and it's hard to find things, but here's what your looking for. (three choices). To order, just enter the part number in the search window. I purchased both the 60A and the 80A planning to do two sets and trying each.

8644K24 Flexible Urethane Shore 60A $24.14

8644K11 Flexible Urethane Shore 80A $20.88

8644K18 Flexible Urethane Shore 94A $20.71

Shore 60A is the most compliant and 94A is a hardest. If it's going to be a daily driver then go for either the 60A or 80A. I used the 80A on only the front mount and I notice quite a bit more noise and vibration in the cabin. Not terrible, but I like those kinds of noises.

One last thing to decide. If you can't do without your car for at least two days you need to find a spare set of engine mounts. The mounts need at least 48 hours to cure at room temperature. One other thing to consider is that it is having an extra set of motor mounts makes it much easier to reassemble as well as safer. However, since the engine is held in with the side mounts it isn't that difficult to do without spares.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:40 PM
Ern

So on the vibes, what would you give it? Rate it from a 1-10 on the vibration please!
Old 12-12-2005, 05:43 PM

Give me what you would consider 10 to be, like rattleing your teeth out or something like that
Old 12-12-2005, 05:45 PM

1 being little 10 being bad.

i would rate it about a 4. the vibration really is not that bad. if you are looking for a comfortable ride then any tranny mount you do is not going to be recommended. i figured for 25 bucks and a little time like a weekend, i could live with the minute vibration. it is as if maybe a tire was slightly out of balance you know not really bothersome but you know it is there.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by littless
1 being little 10 being bad.

i would rate it about a 4. the vibration really is not that bad. if you are looking for a comfortable ride then any tranny mount you do is not going to be recommended. i figured for 25 bucks and a little time like a weekend, i could live with the minute vibration. it is as if maybe a tire was slightly out of balance you know not really bothersome but you know it is there.

Oh man, I dunno if I would like that too much...ugh.

W/ the tranny mount does it make shifting feel any firmer? I hate how "spongy" shifting feels in the SS.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:48 AM

Yeah everything feels a little more solid, definitly no loud bang when shifting hard into second.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Chevypowered
Yeah everything feels a little more solid, definitly no loud bang when shifting hard into second.
agreed it is much better. IMO it actually feels like you DO have a short throw shifter. . the vibration is truely only felt at idle, once your moving you don't even notice it.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by sdunkf
where did you get the rubber stuff at to use? what is it called again??
Not sure where he got it, But it's called Urethane.

Quick Reply: Tranny mount UPGRADE